Birth Certificate - White booklet

I am going to go to China (for my first time to meet my girlfreind) and I will be trying to get her K-1 Visa process started.

The Immigration Lawfirm I am talking with says I need to get a several copies of her "white booklet" which apparently contains both a English and Chinese version of her Birth Certificate information. The problem is, there seems to be a communication break down between myself, her and my immigration lawfirm as to just exactly what that "white booklet" is and where she attains it.

To complicate the issue about the white booklet- Birth Certificate, she was born in a small village about a days travel from where she currently lives (Guangzhou) and she wasn't born in a hospital. She is now making the trip to receive a current copy of her birth certificate ( or what ever the proper term for it is.

In any case, does any one know here what exactly the "White booklet" is and where she gets it. I am being told :

"The white booklet is basically a sealed booklet with a Chinese and English statement of the "meat and potatos" of the original documents. Again, they are obtainable from the Ministry of Justice."

and that she will need at least three or 4 copies of it.

I will be traveling to China to meet her in person for the first time ( in a week), and I want to make sure that I can obtain these and any thing else I need so that I can initiate her K-1 petition ( or K-3 if we should decide to marry over there, most likely K-1 though)

Any help as to further explanation as to what exactly she needs for her birth certificate information , ie White booklet ... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I simply told Li we needed birth certificates with certified translations. It was no problem for her to obtain them.

The term 'White Booklet' will probably not translate well. (Li's English was very weak when we met. I had to be a little creative about the way I tried to explain things.)

I believe the format of the birth certificate is standardized in China. You probably don't need to provide her with a detailed description.

She got one set of 'originals'. I made the rest of the copies here in America.

Edited by Richard & Li (see edit history)

I am going to go to China (for my first time to meet my girlfreind) and I will be trying to get her K-1 Visa process started.

The Immigration Lawfirm I am talking with says I need to get a several copies of her "white booklet" which apparently contains both a English and Chinese version of her Birth Certificate information. The problem is, there seems to be a communication break down between myself, her and my immigration lawfirm as to just exactly what that "white booklet" is and where she attains it.

To complicate the issue about the white booklet- Birth Certificate, she was born in a small village about a days travel from where she currently lives (Guangzhou) and she wasn't born in a hospital. She is now making the trip to receive a current copy of her birth certificate ( or what ever the proper term for it is.

In any case, does any one know here what exactly the "White booklet" is and where she gets it. I am being told :

"The white booklet is basically a sealed booklet with a Chinese and English statement of the "meat and potatos" of the original documents. Again, they are obtainable from the Ministry of Justice."

I will be traveling to China to meet her in person for the first time ( in a week), and I want to make sure that I can obtain these and any thing else I need so that I can initiate her K-1 petition ( or K-3 if we should decide to marry over there, most likely K-1 though)

Any help as to further explanation as to what exactly she needs for her birth certificate information , ie White booklet ... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi AstronomerDave,

A white book is simply a translated and notarized copy of a Chinese Document such as Police, birth, or anything else that is in Chinese.

the white book is simply what the translation and notary service makes it look like.

The white book consists of Front and back white paper and inside it is the Document in Chinese, followed by the english translation ,followed by the certification that they are a reliable tranlation servive,,etc,etc. all of this is glued together and forms a "White Book".

I don't know whether it was the Ministry of Justice or not that was the translation service,, but I think that when you get over to China that you have your girlfriend get the birth certificate and than you get it translated at a translation and Notary service .

If she can not get the birth certificate there are other ways of doing the birth certificate. My Ling used her Chinese National ID card. Other have used the family book.

Who this helps,

Tom and LIng

Thanks for the quick replies, :surprise:

I was having a hard time getting a good answer from my attorney, and I just wanted to make sure I got everything done I needed to while I was there.

Will just a photo copy of her birth certificate suffice which can then be translated or does she need several original copies along with translation?

I think that I will likely become a regular here on these forums. It looks that I am embarking on a (very) long and not so easy task, but given the love and freindship I am receiving from Juan, I know in the long run, all the hard work and effort will be worth it.

Thanks, once again, and of coarse any other helpful hints will be appreciated also

Thanks in advance.

you don't need her birth certificate until she receives the p-3, p-4 and goes for her medical. the only "white book" you need for the original application is her divorce papers if she is divorced.

Thanks for the quick replies, :surprise:

I was having a hard time getting a good answer from my attorney, and I just wanted to make sure I got everything done I needed to while I was there.

Will just a photo copy of her birth certificate suffice which can then be translated or does she need several original copies along with translation?

I think that I will likely become a regular here on these forums. It looks that I am embarking on a (very) long and not so easy task, but given the love and freindship I am receiving from Juan, I know in the long run, all the hard work and effort will be worth it.

Thanks, once again, and of coarse any other helpful hints will be appreciated also

Hi AstronomerDave,

As far as "photo copy of her birth certificate suffice" I am not sure, I know that originals were taken to the Translation and Notary service,,so she should get originals.

Read dale7570's post as he is right about when she will need the birth certificate.

Yes, you are going on a Long trip, But I don't think it is **very Long** however 7 months to 10 months. Also when you go to China save all receipts and make sure you take allot of pictures together,,and save everything that has to do between you and your girlfriend.

Tom and Ling

Thanks for the quick replies, :bathfun:

Astronomer Dave..

You are on a long jounery - rememer Yi Bu Yi Bu (one step..one step), at a time. All the advice given here has been correct, based on my experience. Maybe because I picked up on your "village girl" and some other comments a little more explanation...might help you.

1st. There probably isn't a "birth certificate" if she was born in the village or before 1979. Either of those facts can usually eliminate the existence of a "birth certificate" in the sense that we or our consulate views it. In your P3 paperwork they will explain the things you must have for the interview...as already mentioned here. You can download these instruction - K1 P3 package - and see them now. It makes accomodation for the fact that a "Birth Certificate" doesn't exist. Many of us have used an alternate - or quasi Birth Certificate or some combination....

Not to overdo this..sorry...in China there is a National Registration requirement - along with a National ID card. It is family based and is called a Hokou. A head of household registers hisself or herself and then other family members are registered as family members. (not always father-children..could be uncle etc). ALL actions, passport, travel documents, birth registration, national ID cards go through this local Public Security Branch. First thing to do....WHERE IS YOUR SO's HOKUO located? Wherever it is....this is where all the documents are generated. End of Story.

Birth Certificate. If one exists or doesn't - "a records extract" or the docuemnt will be produced which must then be taken to the "GONG ZHEN CHU". They are the Public Notary Service. They are Government - just different from the Public Security Bureau. Sounds complicated...is very easy! The GONG ZHEN CHU will produce the WHITE BOOK....that contains a copy/extract as the case may be -- that will attest and say....when Your SO was born, that she is a girl, that her parents were....XXXXX, and if parents deceased...etc. Pay particular attention to the P3 Instructions - of what must be contained in this document. Chinese will want to do it their way...but you must insist it say what you need for the visa/consulate. (There are copies of the P3 instructions in CHinese...download at the same time).

I have in my hand my (Wife as of today) birth certificate (actually never had one...village girl)...but it says Page (1) IN Chinese with picture..., (Page 2) english...NOTARIAL CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH (Translation)...According to the birth record of the domiciliary files concerned of domiciliary administrative office, Huainan City, Anhui Province, this is to certify that XX Jinlin (female) was born on DATE in Huainan CITY, Anhui Province. Her fater's name XXXX (Deceased) and her mother's name is XXXX (Deceased). Page (3) Chinese certification of Authenticity, Page (4) Certification that the Chinese to English is an Exact copy, and the front page has a copy of her picture. Your VO needs to know to take a ton of these color/Passport style pictures with her...for birth certificate and other things. I think if she get's 20-25 US STYLE PASSPORT PICTURES SHE WILL HAVE ALL THAT IS NEEDED.

You will also need Police Certificate and Single certificate. These need to be done at the same place. Same WHITE BOOK. Don't get these done TOO EARLY As others have said...some are only good for a year...and you made need the extra time...the birth certificate is good forever. All that data is contained in the guides here and on VJ.

REmember one thing...EVERYTHING MUST BE DONE AT THE HOKOU PLACE.....(If she doesn't understand this word say it like FU KO)

Best of luck..and welcome to CFL.

Hawaii Mike

hi guys,

i agree with the above answers. white book is like a book, front and back are white, and the inside is information concerning your wife's birthday, name, parents. i didn't do the k-1 route so i'm not really sure where to start for you but if you need to know cr-1 route, i can explain it to you.

good luck

Thanks in advance.

HI.I think that white booklet is the notarization. I'm going to do this tomorrow. I went to the office today, and i saw those little booklets. they are white and look like books. you can ask your girlfriend to take the household register to the notary office. if the household register has all the family members on it, it's probally fine, the office will accept it and give you the "white booklet". I don't have the hospital certificate either, because my parents switched it into a" one child honer certificate¡® for me. (China has one child policy, and the government will give you an honer certificate if the parents are willing to have only one child.) so, i asked about the information from the local notary office, they said anything that can show you are the daughter of your parents is fine. so, don;t worry about that. I'm sure your gf can figure it out. Good luck.

Edited by pettlon (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...

I need a little more help on the white booklets.

I got back to the USA yesterday, and today I talked to my immigration lawfirm who is working my K-1 visa. Long story short, I was not able to get the white booklets while I was in China, and the lawfirm does not want to use American translations of photocopies of her registry information, as they fear there is a chance it will not be approved using a US translation company.

Does anyone here know where in Guangzhou that she has to go to get the White Booklets? any addresses?

Also, any one know the approximate cost. My fiance was under the impression that it would cost the approximate of 50,000 RMB and therefore, she refused to cooperate on getting the white booklets while I was there, and my ability to communicate the information was somewhat limited.

Edited by AstronomerDave (see edit history)

I need a little more help on the white booklets.

I got back to the USA yesterday, and today I talked to my immigration lawfirm who is working my K-1 visa. Long story short, I was not able to get the white booklets while I was in China, and the lawfirm does not want to use American translations of photocopies of her registry information, as they fear there is a chance it will not be approved using a US translation company.

Does anyone here know where in Guangzhou that she has to go to get the White Booklets? any addresses?

Also, any one know the approximate cost. My fiance was under the impression that it would cost the approximate of 50,000 RMB and therefore, she refused to cooperate on getting the white booklets while I was there, and my ability to communicate the information was somewhat limited.

we paid 1500RMB for 3 sets of books, marraige, birth and relationship, a total of 9 books. i dont know why they make us buy 3 sets of books. 1 set of birth book may cost 500RMB. i dont know if they will sell you 3 birth books but you can ask for 1 book and make copies on your own.

i try and get the address for you but my wife is out shopping with her friends. go figure women. :o

Edited by george lee (see edit history)

Guangdong Provincial Foreign Affairs Office

Service Division of Diplomatic Missions

#2 Shamian 3rd Street

Guangzhou, Guangdong 510133, China

Tel: (86-20) 8121-7589; (86-20) 8121-9789

Fax: (86-20) 8121-6029, (86-20) 8121-7763

Working Hours: 8:00am-12:00pm; 2:30pm-5:00pm (Mon.-Fri.)

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/in..._documents.html

i may be wrong but there is a chinese version of the website.