Is someone stealing my internet?

Guest ShaQuaNew

Do you need the wireless portion? If not - disconnect the antennas.

PPoE TO the computer? that doesn't sound right. DHCP server inside o router, providing TCP/IP protocol to all connected computers.

PPoE? Ug.

PPoE is a protocol that many dsl vendors uses to control which computers or routers have access to the network. You must enter a password to get access to the vendors network. It has nothing to do with the wireless portion per say.

Hi Don - yup - I know what this is. Usually if PPoE, even in China, PPoE is slung only between the router and the DSL connection. Then from the router to the computers, it's TCP/IP from the router's DHCP server.

I never mentioned PPoE being a problem with wireless - I only suggest to curb wireless squatters, disconnect the antennas.

I can understand the use of PPoE between router and vendor, but router and computer? Somethings torqued wrong, IMO.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Your internet? :ph34r:

Your internet??? :P

I don't think so girlfriend! :(

I already told you. I won't be your girlfriend. No matter how many times you ask me, the answer is still NO!

:)

Guest WenDylan

You could just have an unsecured network and give it a scary name...

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/stop-stealing-my-internet.jpg

Since having my internet installed here in China, I've noticed my connection speed getting slower, and slower. I have a DSL connection, that must first pass through a router provided by my internet company. Unfortunately, all of the menus are in Chinese, making it difficult for me to navigate. I ended up using the tech-smart Chinese guy that also set up our Satellite TV. He was able to configure the system, so that my VoIP telephone, would be always connected. The router provided by the internet company required that you enter a password every time you logged onto the internet. That feature would not allow my VoIP box to work, so we somehow had to bypass the password protection.

It does appear that someone may be getting a free ride using our internet connection, but I'm not sure how detect and prevent that from happening. I would normally configure security protection for the router, but I'm having a tough time working through the Chinese menus. I was wondering whether any of our tech-guys had any suggestions on how to set this up, and ensure our bandwidth doesn't get eaten alive?

You should run a virus / spwware scan on your computer with latest antivirus DB, there maybe a trojan virus on your computer using your Internet bandwidth.

Most routers should have some type of logging that show which computer is accessing the router. This should help figure out if someone is connecting to your wireless router.

Also,

On your wireless router, you should turn off your broadcasting of your SSID (your wireless network name). This way, the name of your wireless network will not

show up automatically when people browse for wireless networks in Windows XP or Vista. Makes it a little bit more difficult for people to hack into your wireless network

Also try to use WPA2 + AES for wirless security + data encryption) if your wireless router and your laptop supports it.

I

Edited by john90 (see edit history)

Guest ShaQuaNew

Since having my internet installed here in China, I've noticed my connection speed getting slower, and slower. I have a DSL connection, that must first pass through a router provided by my internet company. Unfortunately, all of the menus are in Chinese, making it difficult for me to navigate. I ended up using the tech-smart Chinese guy that also set up our Satellite TV. He was able to configure the system, so that my VoIP telephone, would be always connected. The router provided by the internet company required that you enter a password every time you logged onto the internet. That feature would not allow my VoIP box to work, so we somehow had to bypass the password protection.

It does appear that someone may be getting a free ride using our internet connection, but I'm not sure how detect and prevent that from happening. I would normally configure security protection for the router, but I'm having a tough time working through the Chinese menus. I was wondering whether any of our tech-guys had any suggestions on how to set this up, and ensure our bandwidth doesn't get eaten alive?

You should run a virus / spwware scan on your computer with latest antivirus DB, there maybe a trojan virus on your computer using your Internet bandwidth.

Most routers should have some type of logging that show which computer is accessing the router. This should help figure out if someone is connecting to your wireless router.

Also,

On your wireless router, you should turn off your broadcasting of your SSID (your wireless network name). This way, the name of your wireless network will not

show up automatically when people browse for wireless networks in Windows XP or Vista. Makes it a little bit more difficult for people to hack into your wireless network

Also try to use WPA2 + AES for wirless security + data encryption) if your wireless router and your laptop supports it.

I

All good input; thanks. I have been using Spyware Doctor for a few years now, and always run it in the background. I had a bit of luck over the weekend and located a couple of memory hogging programs, and trojan. Changed passwords, and reset all network connections.

Guest ShaQuaNew

You're in China.

It's not stealing; it's sharing. :angry:

That's what I tell my daughter when I realize the bandwidth has dropped almost to zero at home, then, when I check to see if she's also having problems with slow internet, discover that she's been downloading music for the last 24-hours. Hey honey, it's time to share.

:unsure:

Our IT guy at work told me that on his home 'puter he was infected by a COULOMB DIALER... :blink: and it was VERY deeply imbedded... :ph34r: and yes he has all kinds of PROTECTION... :rolleyes: Sheesh if something like that would happen to me with my 'puter skills I might just as well buy a new machine... :P