Language an issue at interview?

In the past few years, the answer would be a resounding NO... but it seems that more recently a few people (maybe less than few, so what would that be... a very few or less) have stated the VO to make the interview in English! And the flip side is, the VO does it in chinese but the VO's chinese is pretty bad! Well.. that must be the origin of 'damned if you do and damned if you don't'...

In general... the answer is NO...

She should say "hello" in english, followed by a request to do the interview in chinese... get her to practice this request in english... followed up with chinese (that's how I had my SO do it a few years ago).

I have heard from others that a human translator is available just in case the beneficiary can't understand the VO's spoken Mandarin.

She should not have any problem with requesting that the interview be in Chinese. If the VO insists that the interview be done in English then it is my opinion that the VO wants to cause trouble on purpose.

Hi Everyone,

I had the same question...believe it or not :o :helpsmilie: :D

I was wondering...is it advisable if I were going to ACH ,,asking about the interview in Chinese or English??

Would bringing out the fact that my wife is not fluent in English give the VO something to think about??

In my first EOR letter , I said that we used a combination of English, English on notebook and an Electronic Translator...so the VO would know something about this.

So ..what do people advise...ask about what the interview will be in or keep quit.....???.. :surrender: :headbang: :baby:

Tom and Ling

If the VO insists that the interview be done in English then it is my opinion that the VO wants to cause trouble on purpose.

Is there anything we can do at that time if the VO insists the interview to be done in English?

Joe

English is not a requirement for the visa. That doesn't mean that the VO can't make it one, under the heading of "being able to communicate with your spouse"

My wife knew enough English to say, "English no good. Putonghua, please", and sailed through it.

I believe that she has a right to understand what the VO is saying, and should continually ask him to repeat, or explain, if she is having trouble understanding him in any language

Hi Randy,

I agree with you 100%,,read my post and also do you think it is wise to bring it up at ACH??

Tom and Ling

Hi Everyone,

I had the same question...believe it or not??

I was wondering...is it advisable if I were going to ACH ,,asking about the interview in Chinese or English??

Would bringing out the fact that my wife is not fluent in English give the VO something to think about??

In my first EOR letter , I said that we used a combination of English, English on notebook and an Electronic Translator...so the VO would know something about this.

So ..what do people advise...ask about what the interview will be in or keep quit.....???

Tom and Ling

English is not a requirement for the visa. That doesn't mean that the VO can't make it one, under the heading of "being able to communicate with your spouse"

My wife knew enough English to say, "English no good. Putonghua, please", and sailed through it.

I believe that she has a right to understand what the VO is saying, and should continually ask him to repeat, or explain, if she is having trouble understanding him in any language

Hi Randy,

I agree with you 100%,,read my post and also do you think it is wise to bring it up at ACH??

Tom and Ling

Hi Everyone,

I had the same question...believe it or not??

So ..what do people advise...ask about what the interview will be in or keep quit.....???

Tom and Ling

I think that is a good answer, if the question comes up. Since you and your wife do NOT have any communication issues (Right?), I would avoid raising it as an issue.

We have heard (rarely) of VO's who would try to test the applicant by speaking rapidly in English. If that happens, I believe she should respond that she understands you, but not the VO's accent, and would he please repeat plainly and more slowly.

Basically, ALWAYS let the VO bring up any issues.

No we don't have any communication issues, and she will get better with English after she is in the states.

So...I guess the answer is don't bring it up at ACH and advise my wife to do as you say if the VO tries to give the interview all in English.

Tom and Ling

Since you and your wife do NOT have any communication issues (Right?), I would avoid raising it as an issue.

[quote name='tarheel6040' post='449232' date='Nov 2 2008, 02:21

I think that is a good answer, if the question comes up. Since you and your wife do NOT have any communication issues (Right?), I would avoid raising it as an issue.

I had exactly the same concern. Li had never learned a word of English before meeting me.

We diligently practiced sample questions. I tried to learn enough Chinese to demonstrate we could communicate. We were SO nervous about this!!!

As it turned out, our VO voluntarily conducted the interview in Chinese (after greetings were exchanged and a simple question or two in English). She was very nice to Li and her son.

I know, after reading some horror stories, that we were lucky.

Now, including the time I've been in China, we've spent a year together. We communicate well enough and are both learning the other's language a bit at a time. (Her English is MUCH better than my Chinese.) The language 'gap' actually makes our relationship more interesting and routinely provides a few laughs.