Exit Visa

Hi all!

New posting here, I've been lurking for some weeks now. I am preparing for my first trip to China and when I was registering my trip on the State Dept site I read about an 'exit' visa. Is this something I will have to ask my travel agent for? We have discussed a 'visa', I will bring her my application filled out, she will take the photos and then I will send it to Chicago. My question is ... Do I need to apply for an exit Visa also? Or will that be done on my passport with my entry Visa when I send it in. My apologies if this is a dumb question. It is my first trip off Continent and I want everything to go well. The fact that I'm posting this here in CFL probably tells you the nature of my visit :plane:

Thanks,

Appaullo

The children of an American citizen are always American citizens, even if born abroad. If born in China, for example, they would be issued an American passport which would allow them to enter the US. The passport, however would have no entry stamp for when the holder entered the country. This child would usually be required to get an 'exit visa'.

I'm not aware of any other use for it. What did you read that made you think you might need one?

.... What did you read that made you think you might need one?

My question too, almost. I'd change it to- "Where did you read it, exactly? Best if you provide a link.

For example, from the 2nd Paragraph of the website he mentions- http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1089.html

"ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A valid passport and visa are required to enter and exit China and must be obtained from Chinese Embassies and Consulates before traveling to China."

When you exit China they will stamp your passport with an "Exit" stamp. Nothing to do with a visa, really. Except you need a visa (one sticker, glued inside your passport) to enter and exit China. The visa is placed in your passport. The entry and exit marks are "stamped" on an empty page.

Anyway, welcome Appaullo.

...We have discussed a 'visa', I will bring her my application filled out...The fact that I'm posting this here in CFL probably tells you the nature of my visit Appaullo...

What kind of visa have you discussed?

Which application are you bringing?

And, for what purpose? I have no idea why you are posting here. I gave up my crystal ball and my clairvoyant powers.

The children of an American citizen are always American citizens, even if born abroad. If born in China, for example, they would be issued an American passport which would allow them to enter the US. The passport, however would have no entry stamp for when the holder entered the country. This child would usually be required to get an 'exit visa'.

I'm not aware of any other use for it. What did you read that made you think you might need one?

This is not a Fiance Visa I am talking about. I am inquiring about my own visa for visiting China. Last night after a 5 hour skype session I looked on this site http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/c...ry_requirements

but looking now I do not see anything that makes me think I need an 'exit' visa. It may have just been a case of fatigue playing with my eyes. Sorry for the time waste. My reasons for asking is because, as stated above, this is my first visit off of the Continent and I just want to make sure everything is in order.

Again, sorry for the confusion, but thank you for the quick replies :rolleyes:

Appaullo

This is not a Fiance Visa I am talking about. I am inquiring about my own visa for visiting China. Last night after a 5 hour skype session I looked on this site http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/c...ry_requirements

but looking now I do not see anything that makes me think I need an 'exit' visa. It may have just been a case of fatigue playing with my eyes. Sorry for the time waste. My reasons for asking is because, as stated above, this is my first visit off of the Continent and I just want to make sure everything is in order.

Again, sorry for the confusion, but thank you for the quick replies :rolleyes:

Appaullo

It's not clear why, but it does say this:

Americans who overstay or otherwise violate the terms of their Chinese visas will be subject to a maximum fine of 5,000 RMB, departure delays and may be subject to detention. Travelers should note that international flights departing China are routinely overbooked, making reconfirmation of departure reservations and early airport check-in essential. An airport user fee for both international and domestic flights is now included in the cost of the ticket price. Americans are also required to have an exit visa to leave China. Americans who lose a passport must take into consideration the time needed to get a new passport and a new visa. Visa issuances can take as long as 7 business days.

I don't think any of us here on this site have ever either had one or been asked to get one, except for the cases of American citizens born in China leaving for the first time.

I was just informed by my visa service company that the strict guidelines for a Chinese visa have been lifted. You no longer need a round trip air ticket and an invitation letter to go to China now. It was indeed an Olympics thing.

Ya Buddy !!! Time For Party !!!! Somebody sell me a case of memorabilia, cheap ?

I was just informed by my visa service company that the strict guidelines for a Chinese visa have been lifted. You no longer need a round trip air ticket and an invitation letter to go to China now. It was indeed an Olympics thing.

Ya Buddy !!! Time For Party !!!! Somebody sell me a case of memorabilia, cheap ?

:coolthumb: :lol: I second that notion!!!!!!

I suspect that they are trying to deal with an expired visa due to an overstay. Perhaps a tourist entered china and obtained a job for a year or two say teaching (wrong visa ) and now is trying to leave china . They can now pull you over for questioning. Also with a new passport issued in china due to "theft" they would want to find out when you entered on what class you entered and it was valid for how long. I can see this being pulled often by people of every country to get around obtaining a visa needed to work within china. You just "happen" to have a new passport issued while in china. No one one this board has ever mentioned needing an exit visa due to obtaining a visitors visa and leaving before it expires.

Hi all!

New posting here, I've been lurking for some weeks now. I am preparing for my first trip to China and when I was registering my trip on the State Dept site I read about an 'exit' visa. Is this something I will have to ask my travel agent for? We have discussed a 'visa', I will bring her my application filled out, she will take the photos and then I will send it to Chicago. My question is ... Do I need to apply for an exit Visa also? Or will that be done on my passport with my entry Visa when I send it in. My apologies if this is a dumb question. It is my first trip off Continent and I want everything to go well. The fact that I'm posting this here in CFL probably tells you the nature of my visit :D

Thanks,

Appaullo

Your visa is both an entry and an exit document.

It allows you to enter China during it's time of validity and stay xx number of days.

You must exit on or before the final day of duration for the exit part to remain valid.

An exit visa (only available in China) is for those who, have lost their passport or in the case of an infant, do not have another document that shows they are allowed to leave China.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)