Bringing Baby to the states...

OK. Boy born: December 2007

Became a US Citizen February 2008

We had already started the visa process for my wife and had the boy in the meantime...

Now the visa is coming and now we figure to get his visa on his US passport would be easy.

We read an article about a husband wife and child going to the airport ready to head home and they were stopped...the child had no visa. So we know to get the visa...

My wife is a CHinese citizen... and we've been looking around the web now to get information and we find that the following things might be possibilities...

It says that in order to get the boy to have a visa on his passport to leave CHINA, my wife needs to prove that she is a real Chinese citizen. According to the website...this might take up to 3 months... they mentioned 60 business days... UNBELIEVEABLE...

1. Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Does anyone know about this?

3. Should we have done this a heck of a long time ago or what??

4. Have others gone down this same road and experienced 3 months??

One would think the US consulate would indicate this on their website.

All they say.

The American parents of a child born in China should report the birth to the Consulate General. The Consulate General will issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240), and a U.S. passport, which will be needed for the child to depart China. The Report of Birth Abroad may be used as a birth certificate for school, work, or other purposes.
http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/ne...gistration.html

Perhaps posting a general question regarding this in the GUZ-Speaks forum, and emailing the consulate may get some answers.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/contact_us.html

Um - wouldn't the exit visa come from China, and not the consulate?

When I was in Guangzhou for my wife's visa, I visited the consulate and in the waiting room for citizen services, was a US citizen who was getting a replacement passport for one that he had lost, I wonder if he had to get some type of exit visa to leave China.

I don't seem to recall them advising him that he needed anything other than the passport to leave the country.

The old pasport would contain the old entry stamp, which a new-born would not have.

I believe the exit visa is necessary for a new-born, since there would be no record of their entry.

In the case of the person I saw at the consulate, they LOST their passport and were getting a replacement, they had no old passport with visa to speak of.

It's been discussed here before. The child does need an exit visa from the Chinese authorities to leave the country. Robhon was the first I remember mentioning it. I believe Joanne posted on it once as well.

This is from the Austrailian embasy web site but the process would be the same since you are dealing with China not the US.

5. Does my child need a visa?

Yes. Your child will need to obtain a visa/permit. The Embassy provides a letter when issuing passports to facilitate visa processing. According to Chinese visa regulations, foreign babies cannot exit China until they obtain a one-time Exit Visa/Permit.

NOTE: Chinese and Australian laws governing citizenship differ. Pursuant to Section 10B of the Australian Citizenship Act, 1948 Australian Citizenship by descent may be acquired by a person born outside Australia who is the natural child of an Australian parent. However, Article 3 of The People¡¯s Republic of China Nationality Law does not recognise dual nationality. And Article 4 of The People¡¯s Republic of China Nationality Law states that any person born in China whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality. This may mean a child born to a Chinese national, regardless of their partner¡¯s nationality, will automatically acquire Chinese citizenship and may experience problems when applying for a Chinese exit visa at some local Public Security Entry and Exit Bureaus because the Chinese government does not recognise their Australian citizenship (even though Australia does).

In some cities, the Municipal Public Security Entry and Exit Bureau issue a one-time exit permit to assist the child to leave the country. But the local public security entry and exit bureau in many other cities do not offer such service. In order to legally leave the country, the parents will have to apply with the local public security authorities to renounce the Chinese citizenship for the child. The process can take more than three months. Once the child's Chinese citizenship is officially forsaken, the local public security entry and exit bureau will recognise the child's Australian passport and issue an exit visa for the child.

For further details on this issue contact your local Public Security Bureau or the Australian mission closest to you. The contact details of the Beijing Public Security Entry and Exit Bureau are:

Here is one robhon's old threads that has some information. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=4044&st=0

Here is a link to the US embassy in Beijing http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/regi...ng_a_child.html

Here is an exerpt from that link

Please note, as soon as a U.S. passport is Issued, the baby's parents must apply for a Chinese visa to ensure that they don't have problems leaving the country. If the baby was born in Beijing, please contact:

The Exit and Entry Administration of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau

No.2 Andingmen Dongdajie

Dongcheng District, Beijing

Tel: 8402-0101

If born elsewhere, contact the exit and entry administration office of the local Public Security Bureau.

More information is available at the Department of State's website at travel.state.gov.

If you have any questions feel free to email us, or call (010) 6532-3431.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

• 7 months later...

We were facing a similar problem but my fiancée was able to get her visa in time for us to have the baby in the US. I was prepared to go through the process of getting a ROBA and an exit visa.

My advice: follow the directions given in this link only. http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/registering_a_child.html

The Chinese government does not allow anyone to have dual citizenship.

Edited by Jeff USC (see edit history)

We were facing a similar problem but my fiancée was able to get her visa in time for us to have the baby in the US. I was prepared to go through the process of getting a ROBA and an exit visa.

My advice: follow the directions given in this link only. http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/registering_a_child.html

The Chinese government does not allow anyone to have dual citizenship.

Any person born within the PRC to one or two Chinese parents is considered a Chinese citizen. Any person born to an American citizen parent is an American citizen and can get an American passport. Thus, dual citizenship

Anyone who takes on (by their own choice) citizenship of another (non-PRC) country relinquishes his/her citizenship in China

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

From the Shanghai Embassy website:

The CRBA is primary evidence of citizenship and the basis for issuance of a U.S. passport - it is one of the most important documents you can obtain for your child. A U.S. Consular Officer may issue a CRBA to an eligible child upon receipt of an application made by the child's parent(s) or legal guardian(s) any time before the child¡¯s 18th birthday. However, since the Chinese government requires you to obtain a dependent visa within thirty days of your child¡¯s birth, it is best to apply as soon as possible after the birth of your child. The Shanghai Entry and Exit Bureau has recently begun charging fines of up to 1,000 RMB for children who are not registered within 30 days. If you are unable to obtain a U.S. passport in time to meet the 30 day deadline, you may use your child¡¯s Chinese birth certificate to register.

You need to go to the local entry and exit bureau to get the child's exit visa. Hopefully only Shanghai is charging this fee for those past 30 days.