MagicJack

Well I went to the Magic Jack website, and tried their trial offer. After almost 3 weeks, I am sending it back. Here is my reasons:

1) Could not hear the caller well. Volume kept going up and down.

2) Have to keep a computer running, with the internet open. Knew this before I ordered.

It is good idea, but just did not work in our home. Liked the idea of $19.95 a year for phone, vise $65.

Well I went to the Magic Jack website, and tried their trial offer. After almost 3 weeks, I am sending it back. Here is my reasons:

2) Have to keep a computer running, with the internet open. Knew this before I ordered.

It is good idea, but just did not work in our home. Liked the idea of $19.95 a year for phone, vise $65.

i have seen the ads and i was curious about this product. i guess if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. :blink:

Do you have a decent high speed internet?

Do you have a decent high speed internet?

Good question. I can't speak for the MagicJack, but I have internet phone(IBBTALK) for 2 years and I'm happy with it.

Yes have a very good cable modem with connection to 5mbs. I am now thinking of the italkbb. Since that does not go through the computer, correct? From what I saw, it connects to my router.

Yes, it connects to your router, IBBTALk will provide a little box that will connect to your phone and router.

Correct. It is a VoIP box that connects directly to Italkbb service. While we were on Comcast at 5 down/.3 up the quality was okay. Every so often my wife would complain about the quality. So I decide to switch to FIOS. The quality of the phone is so good now, my wife never complains.

Mike, I just got italkbb. So far, I like it. I will try disconnecting my phone company from the main input soon, and then will connect 4 phones + my fax machine + caller id to it. It is supposed to work well with up to 4 phones. I am hoping that those two extra items will not degrade the signal too much. If it still works well with them, then it will be bye bye to cox for phones service, but I'll keep them for internet and TV. Eventually, I may make more changes, but for now, we can watch Chinese programming on the computer for free.

Mike, I just got italkbb. So far, I like it. I will try disconnecting my phone company from the main input soon, and then will connect 4 phones + my fax machine + caller id to it. It is supposed to work well with up to 4 phones. I am hoping that those two extra items will not degrade the signal too much. If it still works well with them, then it will be bye bye to cox for phones service, but I'll keep them for internet and TV. Eventually, I may make more changes, but for now, we can watch Chinese programming on the computer for free.

You can always add an external power source to help boost signal strength. My old digital phone system was supplied by my local cable company. It used a power source/backup located in the garage. They did not come and get it when I had them disconnect service. I am using it to provide the power to my home phone wiring. I have Italkbb plugged into one extention. I can plug phones into any other extention in the house without any problems.

Just for sake of an opposing viewpoint, I really liked MagicJack. While it's true that it has to be constantly connected to your PC, with your PC on if you want to wait for calls - and if you are using a lot of programs, or have a slow PC you may have difficulty with drops, delays, etc.

I thought it was most valuable for someone who has someone still living abroad they want to talk with. They can just plug it into their PC when they want to call you, or you plan to call them, and can call any US number for just $19.99 per year.

Maybe bad as a full-time replacement for your phone, but good in my opinion as a replacement to phone cards and internet chat. I wish I had had one 4 years ago.

Anyway results vary. Depends on what you expect to do with it and how good your PC and connection are.

The issue was not the computers or the internet connection, and we didn't drop any calls. The issue was that the during a call, the volume would swing between high and low. I talked to my sister and had to ask her about 8 times to repeat what she said. It was like she was talking to me through a pillow. Then it would clear, then back again. Having to have a computer running all the time for phone service was just a nuisance. But would have been acceptable had the reception been better.

The one thing I see about Magic Jack is to get around International rates both parties would need a Magic Jack. This could work for a limited number of people. Otherwise rates are as much as a calling card.

With Italkbb, I have free calling between US, Canada, Mexico and Europe. My wife has talked with many of her friends who have moved to different countries, like Germany and France. She also stays in touch with many of her friends in China at no extra charge. The part I really love is that family and friends in China call us at no charge to them. It is not only a good replacement for our home phone it is the only service I have really been happy with. Yes, it costs more than Magic Jack at 24.99, but then you get what you pay for and they give me two months free because I pay for one year at a time.

The one thing I see about Magic Jack is to get around International rates both parties would need a Magic Jack. This could work for a limited number of people. Otherwise rates are as much as a calling card.

With Italkbb, I have free calling between US, Canada, Mexico and Europe. My wife has talked with many of her friends who have moved to different countries, like Germany and France. She also stays in touch with many of her friends in China at no extra charge. The part I really love is that family and friends in China call us at no charge to them. It is not only a good replacement for our home phone it is the only service I have really been happy with. Yes, it costs more than Magic Jack at 24.99, but then you get what you pay for and they give me two months free because I pay for one year at a time.

Italk is good but trying to cancel is a pain. My parents wanted to cancel the annual plan a few months ago. They automatically charged the $302 first. After talking to the support, she said I had to send back the modem and cable with the original box. After receiving the original equipment for 10 days, they still didn't credit back the $302. I called support again and she said they are still reviewing. A few days later I had to call AMEX to withhold the charge. I had to mail supporting evidence to AMEX that the charge was illegal. Finally, AMEX agreed that the charge was not justified. It has been 3 months and Italk still didn't confirm (via email) about the cancellation.