Citizenship Week

C4Racer

It depends on how soon you get an interview date. If your interview date is before Oct 2009 you can choose.

Yes that is what were hoping for is an interview prior to October 9, 2009. My wife will be more comfortable with the old test. I am being told it is taking between 6-7 months normally? I don't know if many others are submitting applications to beat the deadline so as to tie up the process and make it go slower? similar to when they increased the filing fees causing a backlog.

They cashed our check on Sept 24th as well.

I doubt many people have the ability to file. You first must have had your green card five years, three in the case of our wives. There is no fee increase to beat, so the only reason to rush is to have your choice in tests. However, i doubt many people have the choice to rush in an application so 6 - 7 months sounds about right. They should easily get their choise of tests.

The rush before was for a fee increase and they were getting many different kinds of applications.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Mike and Bill. They will probably give your wives a CD to listen too and a study guide when they go for biometrics. Bing listened to the CD in her car for months. For the last month I would read her the sample questions every night. That helped identify the phrases she was having trouble with. A side benefit was it added a lot to her vocabulary.

Bing was nervous about the test because she doubted her English was good enough. The requirement is only a basic understanding of speaking, reading and writing English. One of the best things you can do is keep re-assuring her she will pass. The test is very easy.

Congratulations Mike and Bill. They will probably give your wives a CD to listen too and a study guide when they go for biometrics. Bing listened to the CD in her car for months. For the last month I would read her the sample questions every night. That helped identify the phrases she was having trouble with. A side benefit was it added a lot to her vocabulary.

Bing was nervous about the test because she doubted her English was good enough. The requirement is only a basic understanding of speaking, reading and writing English. One of the best things you can do is keep re-assuring her she will pass. The test is very easy.

Do you know if the CD and study guide addresses the the old or new citizenship test ? or is it just general questions and sentences? also the study guide I wonder if you will have a choice? I quess well find out soon enough, it is like were on the last lap. Thanks!

My wife has been hitting the study manual every day. She also listens to the CD and reviews the flash cards. Each night, I go over the study questions and she can answer just about everyone of them. Her pronunciation is getting better too. Lately we have started to have her write sentences that I read to her. This is proving to be a little harder for her. She can read them pretty good, but listening and then writing them is hard for her.

I don't know Bill. Seems to me they would give you at least a choice. If they only let you have one, get the new one I'm sending you a copy of the old one today.

Hi Carl, received Thanks! we listen to the CD while driving to the Asian market Saturday it will be very helpful for her along with her writing and studying for her citizenship test.

My wife is looking for study material for the old test that has English and Chinese together. We can find one for English and One for Chinese. It helps her understanding sometimes to see them both together. She could always use the dictionary, but if there is already a translation that has them both together, it would save an incredible amount of time. Any time savings with her heavy schedule is very welcomed.

My wife is looking for study material for the old test that has English and Chinese together. We can find one for English and One for Chinese. It helps her understanding sometimes to see them both together. She could always use the dictionary, but if there is already a translation that has them both together, it would save an incredible amount of time. Any time savings with her heavy schedule is very welcomed.

Mike, I have the study guide and the audio CD I'd be glad to make copies for you.

When Bing first started studying for the test I printed out the questions translated to Chinese from the USCIS website for her. She read through them then promptly decided that since the test is in English she should study the English version. She didn't see any point in learning it in Chinese, it just makes more stuff to remember.

We found some phone books from 2008 at the Chinese (Asian) market that list business names, in the back of the book they have the old test for the citizenship test in Chinese and English, along with sentences ask during the interview, they usually have pallets of them available for the Asian community. What we did is just cut out that particular section otherwise you have to lug around the whole book.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know Bill. Seems to me they would give you at least a choice. If they only let you have one, get the new one I'm sending you a copy of the old one today.

My wife went to her biometric appointment October 25th at 10:00 we arrived early and one couple had just walked in before us the place was otherwise empty. We got our paperwork and filled it out my wife took it to the roped area, I waited by the counter I guess I was blocking the numbers the lady helping us asked me to take a seat, the # was 18. My wife finished the woman gave her #18 as she was going to sit down they called #18. The woman that took her fingerprints was busy talking to her co-worker the whole time about shopping at Mervyns and the 99 cent store not paying much attention to my wife and doing her job. As we were leaving they gave my wife a study booklet, I asked if they had a CD the lady said no and would not elaborate, customer services was very poor, I'll be glad when this is over.

• 4 weeks later...