Gift-giving

Hi All,

I need gift advice for people in China. In the past, I have read a number of threads on various sites, and gathered the following from those threads. I know it's difficult, since most of the stuff we buy here has a "made in China" label. These are some of the ideas I've compiled.

American Chocolates, candy, gum

Lotions, cosmetics, skin care products

Cassette tape recordings of local radio stations (I thought this was clever)

Red envelopes (for giving US money)

Few questions.

1. With the casette tape recording idea, I thought this was cool, but would this be a problem to bring into China? I'm just taping innocuous stuff like morning DJ talk shows and popular mainstream music. However, I have concerns about being a Westerner and bringing in media, does anyone foresee any problems?

2. What kind of chocolates go over well?

3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

P.J.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I need gift advice for people in China.  In the past, I have read a number of threads on various sites, and gathered the following from those threads.  I know it's difficult, since most of the stuff we buy here has a "made in China" label.  These are some of the ideas I've compiled.

American Chocolates, candy, gum

Lotions, cosmetics, skin care products

Cassette tape recordings of local radio stations (I thought this was clever)

Red envelopes (for giving US money)

Few questions. 

1.  With the casette tape recording idea, I thought this was cool, but would this be a problem to bring into China?  I'm just taping innocuous stuff like morning DJ talk shows and popular mainstream music.  However, I have concerns about being a Westerner and bringing in media, does anyone foresee any problems?

2.  What kind of chocolates go over well? 

3.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

P.J.

Who is the gift for? Family? Sweetie?

When I went over the last time, I worked very hard trying to find the perfect gifts. Long story short: I learned that gifts are really not necessary. When gifts are given, it's always money.

My advice based on my experience is to give money....Chinese money. They don't understand USD but they know RMB. How much? 500 RMB seems the norm for b-days and the such.

You figure they already have pirated music/movies so that's no big wow. I don't see them eat a lot of chocolate but they can get Dove if they want it. So, money is the best course.

Before I left in June, I did ask some family members what they might like. DON'T DO THAT! They started out shy which was nice. But, when I insisted....oh my! Cost a small fortune. Since I asked, I felt compelled to give. If the gift is for your gal, ask what kind of cosmetic she might like. Better get her what she wants than guess.

Save yourself a lot of headaches and go buy those red envelopes. Change some money into RMB and you're finished. They'll love the gift and the gesture.

PJ,

I would bring lots of little things, especially things that are reflective of you and where you are from. T-shirts, post cards, magnets, shot glasses ( Gam Bei! ) pencils, or anything that is native to your hometown is just great - and will be gratefully received. Calendars of American scenery seem good - I usually bring a whole range of stuff from expnsive things - a bottles of American wine or Jack Daniels - to lots of smaller stuff for kids.....maybe a few t-shirts/hats of those Superbowl Champion Bucs of yours? have fun - and a great trip.

dave

I took over a quart jar of "sourwood" honey that is produced local to the area I live in. That was a gift for her mother but it was for them all to enjoy. For my wife, I like given her commemorative stamps alot since she enjoys collecting stamps. The post office has some nice selections.

.....Just little things like that. B)

About the cassette tape, the people I have contact with usually listen to MP3 or CD players. I think it's a bit rare to have a tape player. The music is a great idea, though. You might just want to bring it in a few formats. If you put it on CD, they'll be able to save it to their computers.

I agree with the money idea, but be careful not to get too carried away. Anyone who is remotely related to you and is still single could expect to receive it.

What most people do here when using red pockets is carry several at once, with various amounts of money inserted in them, so they are ready to give the proper amount each time. You can keep track of them by placing them in different locations (left pants pocket, back pocket, coat pocket, etc.) Then, you won't have to open them to check which one you're giving.

Money is great for the more practical, traditional folks, who might feel other gifts are a waste of money.

If you're visiting children, most of them are probably learning English, so any small gifts with some English writing should be fine and perhaps easier than giving red pockets.

Alcohol is great for the men, but you have to realize that Chinese alcohol is much stronger than foreign liquors. Also, you can purchase foreign alcohol here in China, no need to transport it so far.

Leisha

What exactly is American Ginseng anyway?  Where can I get it?  I thought that Ginseng was from Asia, how does this differ from what they could probably buy in the market for very cheap?  Just trying to figure it out.

Thanks,

P.J.

PJ,

American Gingeng is good gift. It is very different from Korean Gingeng. Korean Gingeng makes your body hot (better blood flow) and American Gingeng makes your body cool (lower blood pressure). American Gingeng costs about $100 a pound for good quality. Go to a Chinese herbal store in a Chinatown area and you can get American Gingeng. Make sure you don't get cheap quality.

My wife's family loves the Gingeng tea which is a lot cheaper.