Military rank

I received the following email from my Chinese friend, Mary.

Could you help with this? there is a military rank called: battalion commander. In china, we have vice battalion commander, I donot know how you call it in English. vice, or associate or deputy? this position is lower or next to battalion commander, do you say deputy battalion commander, or vice battalion commander or associate battalion commander?

Can anyone help with the answer?

Which would you suppose is the equivalent to Vice Battalion Commander?

Battalion commander is/was usually full bird or Lt. Colonel-sometimes even a major. So, a 'vice commander/deputy commander would usually be either a Lt. colonel or a major. I doubt anything lower than major would be a deputy battalion co as battalions have around 5 companies in them and Captains are usually the company co¡¯s and captain is the next lower than major.

Looks like their LT Colonel would be battalion honcho and major would be his deputy! would be his deputy

Which would you suppose is the equivalent to Vice Battalion Commander?

Battalion commander is/was usually full bird or Lt. Colonel-sometimes even a major. So, a 'vice commander/deputy commander would usually be either a Lt. colonel or a major. I doubt anything lower than major would be a deputy battalion co as battalions have around 5 companies in them and Captains are usually the company co¡¯s and captain is the next lower than major.

Looks like their LT Colonel would be battalion honcho and major would be his deputy! would be his deputy

I agree with UNclE Trigg...

Battalion Commanders are Lt Colonels in the US Army. In their absence there are two positions that can run the Battalion¡­the Battalion Executive Officer, or XO and the Battalion Operations Officer or S-3. Both are Majors in rank (the Battalion Operations Officer or S-3, usually runs the Battalion) There can be hybrids and variations of this for specialized Battalions.

Isn't that Grandpa Trigg <_<, but yes he knows his stuff.

There are positions and ranks. Ranks are like Lt. Colonel. Positions are like Battalion Commander. A Lt. Colonel normally commands a battalion, but just because one is a Lt. Colonel doesn't mean this is his job. He could also serve as the Brigade XO(Executive Officer).

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

I don't think it's a rank, but a title.

Like, 'Commanding Officer' is a title, but the rank varies depending on many things.

Count the bars and stars on the insignia.

XO is of course correct for the Amry.

Normally a Major's slot.

OK I was Infantry all my Army life so I am basies that way. When I was in it may more or less this way.

CO - LtC

XO - Major

S3 (Operations Office) - Major

S1, S2 and S4 (Admin, Intel and Logistic) - Normally filled by Captians, even if the S4 was normally a Major slot.

Not enough mid level officers were staying in when I was there. Last time we had a Reduction in Force or RIF. So officers with about 10 years of service were bailing as there were not many promotions and slot (jobs) were being cut right and left.