When we enter the US, which line, US Citizens or Visitors, should we follow?

Technically speaking, when you are at POE you go into the US Citizens line and she goes into the visitors line. However, if your POE is anything like Portland, they will let you both go to the same line and don't really care which one you choose.

When I brought Lisa to the US, I was busy explaining to her the technical part and the IO said, "Oh, don't worry. She can go with you. No Problem." The big thing my wife remebers is they were friendly and all had big smiles, greeting her happily to the US.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

When we enter the US, which line, US Citizens or Visitors, should we follow?

Jing, we kinda beat this one up in another thread, when you were in China. See attached.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...31520&st=15

Although it depends on the POE you enter (the procedures may vary) and the officers on duty at a given time; either line may be ok, no one is going to 'yell' at you. :lol:

I checked it out with a Customs Officer at LAX Terminal-5 on my November trip and was told the USC line would be ok for all. Then on my most recent arrival four weeks ago with my wife, I was told I would still have to take them through the special K-3 line, after I was processed via the USC line, wherein we had to walk to the other side of the immigration area at the Tom Bradley Terminal. The Latino Customs Officer was pleasant and it didn't take a long time, nor were there any hassles.

All in all, it worked out and I really didn't give a rat's-ass about a little line confusion, as I was just so happy to be in California with my wife and daughter. :D

Guest WenDylan

So with a K1 visa when we return home we can be in the same line? I've been through the Minneapolis and Detroit POE before, but never with my fiance. We are waiting for her visa. I hope we do not have to separate because sometimes it is just a jungle of people trying to get in.

When going through Minneapolis,she needs to go to the far right side in lane two.You can go with her, but they will not let her go thru with you on the US Citizen side.

The flight crew goes through lane one, so many not walk to the far right side right away.

Guest WenDylan

Go to the shortest or the one you are directed towards. Our POE folks will welcome both of you, regardless of which line you are in.

Great, thanks for the info!

No matter your POE, I would think it is highly likely that the line for new immigrants will be much shorter than the other lines.

In Minneapolis, we were almost last off the airplane but first in the new immigrant line. Only a few additional people joined that line after us. I didn't give it a thought. I just carried all of our passports and the brown envelope to the officer and had Ping and Cici walk with me. We cleared immigration as a family, and the officer seemed to expect us to do it that way. He certainly wasn't resistant to the idea. You are a USC, so all they need to do is swipe your passport and stamp it to show your arrival, and they can do that at any station.

No matter your POE, I would think it is highly likely that the line for new immigrants will be much shorter than the other lines.

In Minneapolis, we were almost last off the airplane but first in the new immigrant line. Only a few additional people joined that line after us. I didn't give it a thought. I just carried all of our passports and the brown envelope to the officer and had Ping and Cici walk with me. We cleared immigration as a family, and the officer seemed to expect us to do it that way. He certainly wasn't resistant to the idea. You are a USC, so all they need to do is swipe your passport and stamp it to show your arrival, and they can do that at any station.

TL, all that you say here was true for us, even at LAX. I actually wasted time at the long , multiple USC lines and should have gone directly to the new immigrant line.

When we were redirected to the K-3 line it was [empty] and he processed us immediately, with no thought of me being separated from my wife and daughter. Everyone was very cordial on the US Customs staff.

This was the first time through the Customs portal, that I wasn't asked about the 'purpose' of my trip to China !! :eekout:

Guest WenDylan

TL, all that you say here was true for us, even at LAX. I actually wasted time at the long , multiple USC lines and should have gone directly to the new immigrant line.

When we were redirected to the K-3 line it was [empty] and he processed us immediately, with no thought of me being separated from my wife and daughter. Everyone was very cordial on the US Customs staff.

This was the first time through the Customs portal, that I wasn't asked about the 'purpose' of my trip to China !! :D

How nice! They just ASSUME the purpose of your trip to China this time. :(