What is a Chinese Busy Signal?

I know strange question, but when I call a cell over there, I always hear music and someone signing. I will admit it is nicer than listening to the ringing in your ear.

After awhile I get in both Chinese and English, "The number you have called is not answered. Please call later." Something along those lines anyway.

Just wondering if this is the type of busy signal I should be getting, am I getting something weird or doing something wrong? It is Mobil number because it has 11 digits.

I know strange question, but when I call a cell over there, I always hear music and someone signing. I will admit it is nicer than listening to the ringing in your ear.

After awhile I get in both Chinese and English, "The number you have called is not answered. Please call later." Something along those lines anyway.

Just wondering if this is the type of busy signal I should be getting, am I getting something weird or doing something wrong? It is Mobil number because it has 11 digits.

When I call my wife before she arrived here or while she has been back visiting family that means that she did not turn the cell phone on. Many times it is a case of only turning the phone on when they want to use it.

Thanks for the info. I have lived and worked overseas before, just not China, and never heard anything like that.

I am going to guess that voice mail must be an extra cost and not a common thing for folks to use.

One more thing would a text message show up when the phone was turned on later or would it be lost in sending?

I know noob question!

While I am at noob questions, what is the story behind the mop handle? Is that just the Chinese version of a rolling pin?

God, I could keep the questions coming for an hour but do not wish to wear out my welcome! :roller:

Edited by Maxal (see edit history)

Like many cell phones here, you can choose numerous songs and have one downloaded to the phone to play when someone calls to your number. Perhaps this is what you are hearing. When the cell phone is not answered in a timely manner, a recorded message kicks in similar to what you are hearing.

Clayton

As Clayton mentions; it's something you download that's akin to a ring tone, but it plays on the callers side instead of the dialing sound. It is not a busy signal, the phone is ringing, but the person you are calling doesn't hear it in time & then you get the message similar to what you're hearing.

Thanks for the information on the phone. I guess I am just too old to learn all these things you can do with them now.

I mean my current phone is more powerful that the first couple of PCs I had. Of course that was the days of a 64K floppy disk. I have heard people with songs for ring tones, but never received one when calling before. Actaully rather cool if you ask me.

I think I will toss my mop and just hire a maid. That way when she does show up I should be a little safer! :lol: