Chinese medicine vs Western medicine

When my wife is not feeling well, she takes medicine she brought from China. Now she wants to get a checkup from a Chinese doctor. In Boston, a lot of Chinese doctors practicing Asian medicine don't even require a license to practice. Her dad in China practices Asian medicine. I tried to give her medicines like asprin and advil, she refused to take them.

Wow that's interesting. Most of the Chinese people I know here prefer western doctors over the Chinese doctors.

One of the items I forgot yo bring with me to China is Tylenol for my headaches, so when I had my first head ache we went to a Chinese drug store and bought some pills for me to take. They were like Elkaseltzer<sp?> in that I had to disolve them in water and then drink it...I was weary at first but I finally gave in and it worked, and worked quickly. I have no idea what it was that was in there but now when ever I get a head ache its what I take.

well i have the same situation with my other half. She strongly believes in TCM (traditional chinese medicine) and getting her to do anything half western when it comes to medicine is a challenge. cultural thing...thousands of years of history y'know. So, unless its a life threatening situation, i just go along with her thoughts. You'll just have to seek your own balance! g'luck

That sounds interesting. <_< I haven't been to a western doctor and haven't seen any other western medicine except Aspirin, which is the only one available at home now. But I think there is some western medicine having the same function as some Chinese medicine but with different saying and introduction. Right now I have no idea whether the western medicine in China are similar with those in America.

For example, when we have some white bulbs in our mouth, the Chinese medicine would mean to say that is because you have too much energy in your body and then the medicine also explains in that way, while the western medicine will directly point that people should use antibiotical medicine to cure these symptom. This information is hard to tell at first. But I hope this information can help some CHinese wives to know some information to protect their health. :unsure:

Sarah

My wife is a strong believer in the Chinese traditional medicine and after spending a couple of years there, so am I! I have arthritis and the Western medicines and doctors were only able to help through medication that has unwanted side effects. The Chinese medicines were slower to act but did so much better and without the side effects.

Since we are going to be staying in the US for awhile now, we are going to have our daughter in China purchase the medications and send them to me.

Sarah - When you mention "energy" do you mean internal heat? This is something my wife talks about a lot and blames most of her ailments on eating spicey food. The other thing I hear a lot about is eating really cold food with really hot food. She tells me that if you take a very hot glass and put hot water in it the glass will shatter. This is why eating hot and cold food gives one a stomach ache. I think the western stomach is use to the hot and cold foods, but maybe it's different for the Chinese since some may not be use to it.

-Tim

This is a GREAT thread!!!! Jing Mei and I love each other very much and we hate conflict. But, when it comes to East vs. West medicine, we find ourselves at odds.

Her mother was a doctor. JM swears by Eastern medicine. Having had good training in Western medicine, I'm rather stubborn.

Here's what we've learned: If we embrace the traditions of both East AND West, we can't lose! Some things (like menstral cramps), East can't touch it. West is best (aka Advil). But as far as allergies are concerned, China is way ahead of the curve. We've learned to shut up, trust each other, keep an open mind, and let our spouse take care of us. Perfect union of East and West...just like our relationship. When our Chinese loved ones wants to throw a pill down our throat, don't fight it. You'll be amazed. When we use our medicine to help them, they'll feel the same. China is an old civilization. Who are we to think we know better? At the same time, the Chinese aren't stupid either. They know we have things that are very modern and advanced. Together, there's nothing we can't fix.

Hi, Tim:

Yes, the internal heat is exactly what I mentioned of the energy. Chinese medicine thinks that swollen throat or similar diseases are caused by this heat. SO the medicine mainly lead people to push down that heat. Western medicine thinks that is because a kind of bacteria, so anti-bioctic medicine would be used to cure it. Actually when people's body get too much heat, then the bacteria would be grown, the theory is the same. But Chinese medicine points to adjust your body system. Western medicine points to killing the bacteria. As I said, I hope this can help many chinese wives not to be too panic when they face western medicines.Also helps foreigners like you in CHina wouldn't be in same circumstances too. :)

Also, as Owen said, some Chinese medicine has really better function than western ones. It's slow but deeper. Well, at the same time, western medicine to cure some disease is stronger, faster, but not so deep.

Best wishes to everyone's health.

Sarah :)

By the way, about the stomach, I dont think our stomach would be as fragile as the glass, hehe. But I think the habit of eating and drinking is a main point to make people feel different. In America, people always drink cold soda or beer. I did that in China too. But my Mom would never drink those cold stuff. She had the same saying as stomach or etc. But I never felt sick when I did that. So I think it's a kind of habit thing. :)

Sarah

When I had a cold in China my honey gave me these little black pills and something that may look like an antihistimine pill, and the cough medicine is great also, (we can buy at Dragon Mart) worked wonders, bet the american doctors would love to get there hands on these. :) :) I give one eyeball tomedici

The hot v. cold thing reminds me of a strange (surrealistic) conversation I had with my better 3/4 a week or so ago. She was telling me that her mother won't let her drink too much ice water or coke because it would make her sick. I tried to explain to her that you'd have to drink several gallons of water to get sick (several, several, several gallons) and that yes, too much coke will make your stomach hurt.. after reading these discussions, things make a little more sense.. When I was in china, drinking hot drinks with every meal started to drive me crazy (I'm from the South, I'm used to having iced tea with my meals). She started thinking it was odd that I would drink coke with every meal (it was really tough to get any kind of cold drink).

I guess its going to take a little bit on both of our parts.. I've got a strong scientific background and she's got a strong common sense background.. I'm sure, if we're lucky, common sense will win :rolleyes: