Jay and Ping Interview results

Well, it¡¯s been a trying few days here. Hopefully some can learn from this odyssey.

Ping arrived Thursday, a week before her interview to start the medical. She stayed with her daughter at Mr. Yang¡¯s. She had the work done and opted to wait for pickup the following Tuesday. I sent her to the First Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College. This location provides expedited service ¨C I recommend it. The hospital is a 30 minute taxi ride from the Consulate. Lesson #1 ¨C pay the extra and get it done in one trip if possible.

She forgot to get the notarized paper that says she is available to marry. Lesson #2; If you were previously married you will need two notarized documents, one for the divorce and one for ¡°Unmarried Certificate¡±. There is also the ¡°I will marry in 90 days¡± (this is signed at the interview). All these married papers get muddled. She was confused.

Her sister was able to get the paper done from spare pictures and documents she had at home. She only knew how to send things express air through the airline service. We had to go to the cargo pickup.

Trip 3 to the airport (trip #1 she arrives, trip #2 to pick me up): We get to the airport at 9:00 PM and struggle to find the place. Take a bus to the freight place. Walk about a mile at night and find it. The plane was to arrive at 9PM will not transfer the package until midnight. No taxi, last bus is at midnight. We run to the bus stop ¨C guess they took an early day. We walk some more and find two nice guys in a delivery van to take us back to the Airport (30RMB). Lesson #3: take a taxi late at night to unfamiliar areas. Don¡¯t rely in the girl that says she works at the place.

Back to the hotel. Lesson #4: Bus 6B is not the same as 6C. Another taxi ride.

In the morning Ping and a friend here take the bus (6C) back to the airport (#4 trip) and get the paper.

We go to the hospital for the paperwork. We forget her daughter¡¯s passport. I have to find a taxi, in the pouring rain, at rush hour. Lesson #5: sometimes you have to be an asshole.

We get all the papers and the hospital now needs a family composition sheet (GIV-24) for children under the age of 16. You need two DS-157¡¯s only for the mother but minors must also have a DS-157K (the K threw us). Always have extra blank forms with you.

Well, a little stressed, but we got that done.

For interview night, I think it¡¯s a good Idea to switch to the Westin or similar for the night. We didn¡¯t sleep at all. We knew it was futile to arrive early, but we were up anyway. Get a few fish balls and pastry at the OK market at the corner. It will help. Standing in line early only stresses you more. There¡¯s a bit of shoving. The 4 package approach is correct. First request is for passports and the invitation letter. Take them out of any envelope you use. They will hand you a colored card for each person being interviewed. The cards are various colors ¨C it means nothing. When you enter the barrier to go to floor 5 they take them back. Ping was a bit concerned that the cards were different colors.

Gotta stop, back to the airport (#6) explain later.

Back, bumped into her VO ¨C explain later.

Into the interview, Ping took EVERYTHING (almost). One big bag with financial documents, photo album I made, emails, and extra proof. Her daughter carried a 4¡± ring binder with all my emails.

They took a number, got a seat and waited. About 20 minutes she was called. Her VO was Eric, a very nice young black man with a short beard. From what I could tell these were the questions:

1. May I see your passports please?

He looked at theirs and then mine.

2. He asked when I made each trip. She replied by month and year for each visit he asked (1st trip, second trip, etc.) She added, ¡°He is here now too!¡± He smiled.

3. How much does he make each month? She knew this one.

4. He asked where my mother lived and how old she was. She said Florida and she looks 70 (she¡¯s 78).

5. Do you have photos?

Then there was a comical tug of war through the window. They had to fold it open and push it through. He asked who made it. She said that I made the book. He asked a few questions about the pictures. Simple things.

6. He asked about my divorce and why (14 years ago). She told him. He was satisfied.

7. He asked about her daughter¡¯s father and his whereabouts. She hasn¡¯t seen him for 14 years.

8. He asked for receipts from her previous marriage to show his residence.

She had to go for a bag dive. Disappeared so long the VO cried out, ¡°Ping where are you!¡±, ¡°I am here!¡± A few people down the line chuckled. She said she had it but forgot which folder. He said not to worry.

9. He asked for emails. She gave him about a dozen we preselected. He asked if she had any older ones. Well, out came ¡°the binder¡±. She started ripping out one after another that I had yellow tagged until he told her to please stop. He asked about a couple people mentioned in the emails and stopped there.

He then very kindly tried to shield the blue slip as he filled it out. He explained they needed a proper notarized birth certificate translated in her daughter¡¯s birth town.

They did not ask for or take any of my financials or I-134.

Well, I had been sitting with three other gents. The first two received blue slips as well ¨C it was not a good day. We only saw 2 Pinks for certain. I was the third blue at the table. #4 guy was looking worried.

Ping came down with a big smile on her face waving a clearly blue paper. I¡¯m thinking ¨C shit ¨C she doesn¡¯t understand! Well she did. She said the VO was very nice and explained the paper.

Her sister (bless her) got her daughter¡¯s original birth certificate sent to us (Trip #5 to the airport). We are going to Zhongshan tomorrow. For reason¡¯s I do not understand, we can not have a birth certificate notarized and translated anywhere except the birth city. It makes no sense to me. We¡¯ll get three.

On the way to the bus for the airport, we bumped into her VO. A nice guy. As I said, a young black man named Eric with a short beard. He chatted openly, asked if GUZ could do anything different to make the process easier. We talked about our case and he told me they would not take our paper at the consulate. It needed to be mailed. He had already passed the file back. He assured Ping that the process for our case was very simple and would take a month max (his words, not mine). I asked him if they could possibly in the future give extra consideration (like consulate drop off) for simple issues where the petitioner was clearly ¡°in country¡±. He accepted the suggestion. They do have a sheet for this. I also told him that the notices sent out still said GIV-24 was not required for children under 16.

So we are a little miffed at such a simple error. The certificate was not valid because it was done in Chongqing, not Zhongshan.

Helpful tips: Bus 6C from the airport is 20 RMB. It¡¯s comfortable with reclining seats. You are dropped off within a block of the Consulate. It departs from terminal B.

Mr Yang¡¯s is OK. He¡¯s is a nice man and can be very helpful. Get a comfortable place for the night before the interview.

If your Honey is receiving a blue paper, have her ask if she can get permission to bring the overcome to the consulate directly. The VO can give you a white sheet with these instructions. The permission is only given for simple items of explanation ¨C not more complex items, but have them ask.

And, lastly, Hire a lawyer. If there¡¯s a small chance you¡¯ll have a simple blue - they are so much fun to scream at. (just kidding).

For those counting.. trip 5 to the airport was to send her daughter back to school Thursday night.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about the blue - but your problem is easy to fix -- just frustrating.

I live in Xiamen, China with my sweetie -- and I cannot understand how most of the young ladies get this bag of documentation accomplished on their own. It is a nightmare with each requirement and to get "complete" and "thorough" instructions for anything is "bu xing" (impossible). I halfway speak/read Putonghua/Hanzi, and I can't make heads or tails out of most of the processes at the Government places.

In short - guy's.... I'm telling you that even with me located with my gal - and being somewhat accustomed to the country -- it isn't easy for them -- and those that get it done by themselves should be held in HIGH REGARD! Appreciate how difficult it is/was for them to get documents and sort through the garbage..of who, when, how, and what can be done where!

Again, congrats - you will get it soon.

Hawaii Mike

Well, it¡¯s been a trying few days here. Hopefully some can learn from this odyssey.

Ping arrived Thursday, a week before her interview to start the medical. She stayed with her daughter at Mr. Yang¡¯s. She had the work done and opted to wait for pickup the following Tuesday. I sent her to the First Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College. This location provides expedited service ¨C I recommend it. The hospital is a 30 minute taxi ride from the Consulate. Lesson #1 ¨C pay the extra and get it done in one trip if possible.

She forgot to get the notarized paper that says she is available to marry. Lesson #2; If you were previously married you will need two notarized documents, one for the divorce and one for ¡°Unmarried Certificate¡±. There is also the ¡°I will marry in 90 days¡± (this is signed at the interview). All these married papers get muddled. She was confused.

Her sister was able to get the paper done from spare pictures and documents she had at home. She only knew how to send things express air through the airline service. We had to go to the cargo pickup.

Trip 3 to the airport (trip #1 she arrives, trip #2 to pick me up): We get to the airport at 9:00 PM and struggle to find the place. Take a bus to the freight place. Walk about a mile at night and find it. The plane was to arrive at 9PM will not transfer the package until midnight. No taxi, last bus is at midnight. We run to the bus stop ¨C guess they took an early day. We walk some more and find two nice guys in a delivery van to take us back to the Airport (30RMB). Lesson #3: take a taxi late at night to unfamiliar areas. Don¡¯t rely in the girl that says she works at the place.

Back to the hotel. Lesson #4: Bus 6B is not the same as 6C. Another taxi ride.

In the morning Ping and a friend here take the bus (6C) back to the airport (#4 trip) and get the paper.

We go to the hospital for the paperwork. We forget her daughter¡¯s passport. I have to find a taxi, in the pouring rain, at rush hour. Lesson #5: sometimes you have to be an asshole.

We get all the papers and the hospital now needs a family composition sheet (GIV-24) for children under the age of 16. You need two DS-157¡¯s only for the mother but minors must also have a DS-157K (the K threw us). Always have extra blank forms with you.

Well, a little stressed, but we got that done.

For interview night, I think it¡¯s a good Idea to switch to the Westin or similar for the night. We didn¡¯t sleep at all. We knew it was futile to arrive early, but we were up anyway. Get a few fish balls and pastry at the OK market at the corner. It will help. Standing in line early only stresses you more. There¡¯s a bit of shoving. The 4 package approach is correct. First request is for passports and the invitation letter. Take them out of any envelope you use. They will hand you a colored card for each person being interviewed. The cards are various colors ¨C it means nothing. When you enter the barrier to go to floor 5 they take them back. Ping was a bit concerned that the cards were different colors.

Gotta stop, back to the airport (#6) explain later.

Back, bumped into her VO ¨C explain later.

Into the interview, Ping took EVERYTHING (almost). One big bag with financial documents, photo album I made, emails, and extra proof. Her daughter carried a 4¡± ring binder with all my emails.

They took a number, got a seat and waited. About 20 minutes she was called. Her VO was Eric, a very nice young black man with a short beard. From what I could tell these were the questions:

1. May I see your passports please?

He looked at theirs and then mine.

2. He asked when I made each trip. She replied by month and year for each visit he asked (1st trip, second trip, etc.) She added, ¡°He is here now too!¡± He smiled.

3. How much does he make each month? She knew this one.

4. He asked where my mother lived and how old she was. She said Florida and she looks 70 (she¡¯s 78).

5. Do you have photos?

Then there was a comical tug of war through the window. They had to fold it open and push it through. He asked who made it. She said that I made the book. He asked a few questions about the pictures. Simple things.

6. He asked about my divorce and why (14 years ago). She told him. He was satisfied.

7. He asked about her daughter¡¯s father and his whereabouts. She hasn¡¯t seen him for 14 years.

8. He asked for receipts from her previous marriage to show his residence.

She had to go for a bag dive. Disappeared so long the VO cried out, ¡°Ping where are you!¡±, ¡°I am here!¡± A few people down the line chuckled. She said she had it but forgot which folder. He said not to worry.

9. He asked for emails. She gave him about a dozen we preselected. He asked if she had any older ones. Well, out came ¡°the binder¡±. She started ripping out one after another that I had yellow tagged until he told her to please stop. He asked about a couple people mentioned in the emails and stopped there.

He then very kindly tried to shield the blue slip as he filled it out. He explained they needed a proper notarized birth certificate translated in her daughter¡¯s birth town.

They did not ask for or take any of my financials or I-134.

Well, I had been sitting with three other gents. The first two received blue slips as well ¨C it was not a good day. We only saw 2 Pinks for certain. I was the third blue at the table. #4 guy was looking worried.

Ping came down with a big smile on her face waving a clearly blue paper. I¡¯m thinking ¨C shit ¨C she doesn¡¯t understand! Well she did. She said the VO was very nice and explained the paper.

Her sister (bless her) got her daughter¡¯s original birth certificate sent to us (Trip #5 to the airport). We are going to Zhongshan tomorrow. For reason¡¯s I do not understand, we can not have a birth certificate notarized and translated anywhere except the birth city. It makes no sense to me. We¡¯ll get three.

On the way to the bus for the airport, we bumped into her VO. A nice guy. As I said, a young black man named Eric with a short beard. He chatted openly, asked if GUZ could do anything different to make the process easier. We talked about our case and he told me they would not take our paper at the consulate. It needed to be mailed. He had already passed the file back. He assured Ping that the process for our case was very simple and would take a month max (his words, not mine). I asked him if they could possibly in the future give extra consideration (like consulate drop off) for simple issues where the petitioner was clearly ¡°in country¡±. He accepted the suggestion. They do have a sheet for this. I also told him that the notices sent out still said GIV-24 was not required for children under 16.

So we are a little miffed at such a simple error. The certificate was not valid because it was done in Chongqing, not Zhongshan.

Helpful tips: Bus 6C from the airport is 20 RMB. It¡¯s comfortable with reclining seats. You are dropped off within a block of the Consulate. It departs from terminal B.

Mr Yang¡¯s is OK. He¡¯s is a nice man and can be very helpful. Get a comfortable place for the night before the interview.

If your Honey is receiving a blue paper, have her ask if she can get permission to bring the overcome to the consulate directly. The VO can give you a white sheet with these instructions. The permission is only given for simple items of explanation ¨C not more complex items, but have them ask.

And, lastly, Hire a lawyer. If there¡¯s a small chance you¡¯ll have a simple blue - they are so much fun to scream at. (just kidding).

For those counting.. trip 5 to the airport was to send her daughter back to school Thursday night.

Jay, sorry to hear the news of the blue. It's gonna take some time but it's gonna work out for you guys. Keep your spirits up and your focus on the goal and you will soon be laughing back in the states!!

tsap seui

Sorry about the blue. I'll echo what everyone else said about extra time etc. :)

But...

HOLY S**T BATMAN!!! :o :o You got to have an informal discussion with a VO who asked if there was anything GUZ could do to make it easier?!!! I could be wrong but I think that's unprecedented at Candle. Has anyone else heard about this happening to anyone before?

We need to add something to David's kitchen sink. A whole other folder with the list for GUZ should anyone else have the good fortune to "bump into" a VO who solicits suggestions on what to do to make the whole thing easier!

Jay, as your meeting was totally unexpected, you're off the hood for not peppering him with questions. :) But the next person had better damn well be ready. :D

Jay, sorry to hear about the blue slip. The pink should be coming soon. Thanks for the tips about the interview. This will help in preparing for our interview on July 31. My girl has the notarized divorce certificate but not the unmarried (available to marry) certificate. Thanks.

Peter

Jay, great recap !!!! :o

You are a veteran now !!

Just think how this may have been, if you were not there with her !!???

It is obvious to me, that once the form is processed through their very busy system, you will have the Pink in short order.

I agree with you about having a restful place for the night, close-by.

We also hired a car and driver to be at our disposal each day we dealt with the last minute medical issues, the Consulate, and getting to and from the airport for the airline tickets for wife and daughter etc. (200 to 300 RMB depending on the number of hours each day).

Again, the next couple of weeks will go by very fast and you will be together as a family very soon. :o

Li and I had the good luck to bump into Jay & Ping at a local restaurant just before they left for the airport. We had a nice chat. Ping was very encouraging to Li. (Ron: We took a picture.) :)

They will have no problem at all overcoming the blue.

They are upbeat and happy. They are not letting a few extra weeks of waiting dampen their spirits. :lol:

Jay ... thanks for sharing the details. I went over the saga with the girls and they were transfixed at every twist and turn. We understand the frustration of all parties. We'll try to give Ping a call tonight to encourage her.

Keep the faith. My girls will see your girls in Chongqing soon and we'll all be together in Anaheim Hills later in the summer.

Ahhh, the saga continues.

We took Suzy (the daughter) to the airport for her to return to school. Saturday we took a bus to her birth town. We had a great weekend with friends. It really boosted Ping's spirits. Man. can these people eat!

First thing Monday morning we were in line at the Notary office. Ping outran two old ladies and another girl - got #5. We waited an hour and up to another window. We showed her Suzy's original birth certificate and her passport. They needed her "household book" and a DNA match for Mother. We had the DNA report, but Ping gave Suzy the house book for her ID at the gate.... crap! (edit: I do not know how valid the DNA report requirement was. It wasn't listed as a requirement in the documentation at the notary. The officer hand wrote it on the line. Ping had a DNA report done months ago with the original birth certificate)

They explained that we could get the cert at her official residence of record. They explained it to Ping, she seemed satisfied. The office there also took 3 days to write the translation.

Since we had nothing esle to do in Guangzhou we stayed Monday. She worked on some contacts for business in the USA and, yes, we ate some more.

We arrived back in Guangzhou at 6PM. Got our bags from Mr. Yang and ran to the airport (what is what? #7). My flight was canceled - Joy!

I sent Ping home to settle matters. I ran back to Mr Yang. He doesn't like to setup people for one day - so he set me up nearby for a 245 Yuan rate. Decent guy.

Feeling very "veteranish" right now. I've read all the pinks. Just gives me a warm feeling.

We'll be resolved in a month. Ping understands that she needs to return to Guangzhou. Not a problem, just inconvenient. I'm glad I was here. Still think I did a lot more following than leading....She's a great gal.

We'll keep this updated until resolved.

Edited by Jay & Ping (see edit history)