Would my lap top work in China?

What do I need to do to make it work in china?

Just make sure you plug fits into the outlet on the wall. I assume you have a normal type and brand of laptop.

Just make sure you plug fits into the outlet on the wall. I assume you have a normal type and brand of laptop.

Most homes and hotels have the outlets that let you plug right into the wall with no problem. The only thing you want to make sure of is that the power adapter can use 220Vac electric. From there you should have no problem.

WARNING

Almost all of the newer laptops have auto switching power adapters, but there may be a few odd ones that you have to move a switch to 220Vac before you plug it in.

If you have the Vista program, you will have a hard time using it through their slower processing internet system. I could never use my laptop directly connected to the phone line. I purchased a modem conversion and from then on it worked fine. They are not advanced yet for Vista and Office 2007 programs although you can get a copy at any computer store for $2 usd. or a full version for $5 usd.

Most hotels have eternet cables but most are worn out so I suggest bringing your own. I ended up buying my own when I was there because we went through 5 of them at a hotel I stay and it didn't work.

I forgot, you will also need a power conversion adapter. You can purchase these at a electronics store or carrefour.

If you have a straight two prong plug the power conversion adapter is not needed most of the time as most homes and hotels have two prong outlets that will work with US style plugs.

I forgot, you will also need a power conversion adapter. You can purchase these at a electronics store or carrefour.

If you have a straight two prong plug the power conversion adapter is not needed most of the time as most homes and hotels have two prong outlets that will work with US style plugs.

US plugs are polarized - one prong is larger than the other. They have a hard time fitting into the Chinese equivalent socket, since both prongs are the same (smaller of the two) size. Buy a set of 4 plug adapters, and you'll be good anywhere you go - there's the straight (unpolarized) socket, angled prongs, round prongs, and heavy duty (three prong).

This is a picture of a Chinese wall socket - the top socket accepts either an un-polarized plug, or the two round prong plugs. The other style is a two-prong v shape, similar to (but smaller than) the angled prongs on the lower socket.

All 220, of course. Make sure your power adapter can handle 220.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/202492402/wall_socket.jpg

Please look at your laptop, underneath is some power input requirements. You might have a power brick instead, read the power input requirements.

Now, once you've READ them, please:

1. enter exactly what is written in yer reply.

2. describe the power cord, let us know if you have any power brick.

Failing all of that, it's hard to know what to tell you without knowing EXACTLY what model of laptop you have.

Perhaps it'd be easier if you told us the EXACT make and model of yer laptop, instead?

In my mind, it's like asking what kind of water pump to use on yer engine - you have to be specific with other nomenclature - year, model, make, etc., to find the right water pump that will FIT.

Be Good !

How about accessing the internet?

That will be spotty depending on where you are at. Take an Ethernet cable with you that you know is good. Be prepared to not be able to get to sites that you can normally get here without using a proxy server.

These are some more details about my lap top.

It is a compaq Presario V 5000, with Windows XP. It was bought just over a year ago. It is connected to the 110 Ac line through a converter. I just read the tiny letters on the converter. It answered part of question. It is a 110-240 AC to 18.5 DC converter. (What do you know: Made in china !). So I think that I can plug it into any outlet.

Now the next question is about the Internet. If I were to stay there in china for 1-2 years, should go for a wireless or get a high speed cable connection? How much do they cost?

Thanks. . . . Ken88

OK - so at least the power brick is 'universal'. Best case, you simply plug it into the wall. Worst Case, you replace the AC line running FROM the power brick to the wall once you are in China. With my wife's laptop( bought it in the USA and brought it to China), the USA 3 prong plugged worked well, when plugged into a power box - it was 'preset' with the connectors, and no 120 to 220 conversion thingies required. Both the AC line and a power box can be had at ANY IT MALL in China. IT MALLS are an experience, if you haven't gotten inside one yet.

RE: Broadband at 'home'. It varies. It varies a lot, depending on whether or not the building you're living in is currently wired for it. The building might already have wireless internet available, or not, or wired only. You have to ask.

I've seen things where a building was wired for ADSL, ya got a router and went from there - that router could be wired or wireless. I've also seen buildings (and lived in one for 18 months) where the entire building was wired for ethernet - ya just jack in at the wall and instant dhcp connection. To overcome that 'one' connection, I put in place a router .

Routers are cheap. You can get internet access anywhere from 20 rmb to 100 rmb per month, or a prepaid yearly plan at around 120 usd. It just depends on the building and WHICH company services it, and what type o access it is. High speed, sure, but there are many variants, I gagged when someone showed me a 32+ megabit connnection advert.

When I travel, I find out first what kinda internet the building has. If it ain't up to my specs, I find another building - as I must have internet access when I am working remote. But I just don't bring one computer, I bring 3 xpc's and a coupla VOIP ATA devices and a router. Going forward, you prolly want to ask your lao po to inquire about 'types of internet access' at each building she's interested in. Once you get settled, try to find a local IT person who makes house calls, and knows how to properly TERMINATE 100-base-T cabling for that 'custom' look.

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

These are some more details about my lap top.

It is a compaq Presario V 5000, with Windows XP. It was bought just over a year ago. It is connected to the 110 Ac line through a converter. I just read the tiny letters on the converter. It answered part of question. It is a 110-240 AC to 18.5 DC converter. (What do you know: Made in china !). So I think that I can plug it into any outlet.

Now the next question is about the Internet. If I were to stay there in china for 1-2 years, should go for a wireless or get a high speed cable connection? How much do they cost?

Thanks. . . . Ken88

Ken88

Ada my fiancee told me that it would cost her about 120 RMB per month to connect to the internet, but I don't know what kind of connection this is. You will more than likely have to go with DSL if you want high speed internet. I don't know if they have cable modem connections. Now as for wireless that is up to you once it is in your place that you are living in. If you do go wireless make sure that you take the security precautions needed to keep other off of your network.