Would my lap top work in China?

We have ADSL in our apartment in China, works well. Since my wife bought the apartment unfinished we were able to install ethernet wiring throughout. Apartment walls are generally cement so there may be some difficulty with a single wireless router covering the entire apartment.

Interestingly we were able to "park" the Internet connection in an unused state for, I think, 5RMB/mo. Supposedly it can be turned on within 24 hours of a request and service resumes at the normal monthly rate (cheap, but I don't remember the number). If we shut down the account then you either get a one year minimum or a very high monthly rate when a new account is established. We'll test the turn on feature in July when our daughter goes to China for 6 weeks.

What do I need to do to make it work in china?

Thanks again for your inputs.

I think I have the last two questions.

1. I pay my bills on line. Are the wired and wireless lines secure in China?

2. Would there be any difficulty in getting my banks, investments etc. on line ? I hear about the " great firewall " of China. Do we need a proxy? I never used proxy.

What do I need to do to make it work in china?

Thanks again for your inputs.

I think I have the last two questions.

1. I pay my bills on line. Are the wired and wireless lines secure in China?

2. Would there be any difficulty in getting my banks, investments etc. on line ? I hear about the " great firewall " of China. Do we need a proxy? I never used proxy.

1. No the Internet is a piece of wire - anyone can see anything you send over it.

But the information is encrypted (for a secure site) so that no one can decode it. It is as safe in China as it is here.

2. To use a proxy, go to 'Tools', 'Options', 'Advanced Settings' and select manual proxy. You will need to enter the IP address and port # for a proxy. You can find one by Googling 'free proxy server'.

You would only need to do that if a site you are trying to access is blocked. You probably won't need one. But I think someone reported recently that one of their financial sites was blocked.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Should not have any problems.

I also bank online. Made four trips to China. Kept my bills (mortagage, credit cards and other online bill pay) always paid on time. Never had any problems with Firewall. Only with CFL site. Just remember to never click on save password. Always log out of your site once you are done if you use a computer at an Internet Bar.