I will return to China for the 4th time. This time isn't to to meet a new lady ( B) :D ) but to meet my wife's family.

Leiqin has been in Nanning for 5 weeks now (after 7 years) and I will travel there in 2 weeks to meet her family.

She tells me that it is unnecessary for me to bring gifts, as she has already provided gifts for her family and friends.

Nevertheless, I do not want to arrive empty handed.

I am thinking of bringing giant COSTCO jars of multiple vitamins. I am also considering bringing make-up kits, cartons of US cigarettes, chocolates (her friends ate them up :P from those that she brought) and/or US Cognac, brandy or vodka.

Are these gifts worthy? Should I scratch some and bring others.

Please, how say you?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wisconsin ginseng was popular on my last visit. I also brought huckleberry jelly, vitamin E and Hershey chocolate. You can also bring cigarettes which are appreciated by the smokers although not politically correct in USA circles.

This trip I will bring locally made elk hide slippers for my Chinese mother and father and more Hershey candy.

I will return to China for the 4th time. This time isn't to to meet a new lady ( :sosad: :P ) but to meet my wife's family.

Leiqin has been in Nanning for 5 weeks now (after 7 years) and I will travel there in 2 weeks to meet her family.

She tells me that it is unnecessary for me to bring gifts, as she has already provided gifts for her family and friends.

I am thinking of bringing giant COSTCO jars of multiple vitamins. I am also considering bringing make-up kits, cartons of US cigarettes, chocolates (her friends ate them up :P from those that she brought) and/or US Cognac, brandy or vodka.

Please, how say you?

Vitamins, Chocolates, make-up if good brands, are all good. Alcohol is good too, but you have some limits there.

Fish oil is another really hot item for older people; plus, Costco has them in large jars I bet.

US Cigarettes taste different and many chinese do not like them. Good for a try maybe.

My Laopo is back in China right now visiting family and mainly she brought supplements. We have been sending them to her parents and her dad tells her that they have been helping him lower his blood pressure. Here's the main stuff she brought. All from Costco!

Multi Vitamins

Calcium

Fish Oil

Garlic Tablets

Ginkgo Biloba

Metamucil

VIACTIV Milk Chocolate Calcium (mainly for the kids)

Lit Critters Gummy Vites Multi-Vitamins

The biggest hit with the family members for me was Crunchy Peanut Butter in large plastic jars. Very expensive there and very hard to find.

Chocolate is always a favorite. (Ghiradelli) Cigarettes if they are smokers. Crown Royal if they are drinkers. Calcium tablets. Things made in the US. (Good Luck with that) Almost all can be purchased at Costco.

Jim n Cherry

Aluminum Foil, Bags of Microwave Popcorn, Hersey¡¯s Chocolate of course¡­American Flavored Dental floss, and a good ole boy ¨C back scratcher :lol:

Cigarettes to bribe officials. :P

and I'm am sure you will need a bag boy to carry this stuff... :D

I see I am not the only Costco buff here. :P

Lots of good suggestions already, based on my experience, but I will add something about chocolate.

I took one or two boxes of Hershey chocolates from Costco on each trip. I never realized just how popular they were until Ping was here with me in Houston. When we walked through Costco together the first time and she saw where I selected the chocolate, she told me that when we go to China together she will take chocolate for everyone because they love it so much.

Enjoy your trip!

Guest Mike and Lily

I will return to China for the 4th time. This time isn't to to meet a new lady ( :P :D ) but to meet my wife's family.

I am thinking of bringing giant COSTCO jars of multiple vitamins. I am also considering bringing make-up kits, cartons of US cigarettes, chocolates (her friends ate them up ;) from those that she brought) and/or US Cognac, brandy or vodka.

Please, how say you?

From my experience, Chinese men usually like Whiskey or other hard liquor drinks straight up. US cigarettes are OK. Try to avoid stuff made in China! :)

From my experience, Chinese men usually like Whiskey or other hard liquor drinks straight up. US cigarettes are OK. Try to avoid stuff made in China! ;)

Good luck findin' somethin' that ain't MADE IN CHINA :P :D

tsap seui