National Geographic China-Inside The Dragon Special

I was wondering if anyone has seen the China issue of National Geographic that came out in about May? Or did I just miss (edit)the thread about(/edit) it?

One of the casuals at work brought it in, and I snagged it, about a month ago, but I haven't even given it much of a look-see until now.

National Geographic May 2008 China Issue

Desktops to download - Select May 2008

Edited by Smitty (see edit history)

I was wondering if anyone has seen the China issue of National Geographic that came out in about May? Or did I just miss it?

One of the casuals at work brought it in, and I snagged it, about a month ago, but I haven't even given it much of a look-see until now.

i'm on a national geographic mailing list and saw it that way... the story about how they just throw up a brand new town with factories included, all in a month or 2, is just awesome to me - again and again i had to stop reading it and just sit in amazement and how efficiently you can do things on the scale of millions of people when you don't have the problems that come from the people being (for good reason) cynical about who will profit from government decisions. Anyone who reads that edition and doesnt see why China will be running the world economy in a very short time is not paying attention

there's really just no way to compete in the long-term with a culture that's still healthy after a 4-5000 year head-start, is there

I was showing a picture from it, to one of my coworkers. It's the one of the cookie cutter housing development with the big buildings in the background.

I was somewhat surprised by his comment that only the rich could afford those houses(and he might well be right), but like you said the cynicism, and perhaps uninformed view would have been the one I would have had just a few months ago.

there's really just no way to compete in the long-term with a culture that's still healthy after a 4-5000 year head-start, is there

Sure there is! Marry them! :D

lol ! i think you meant to be talking to the other direction, this is the choir youre preaching to over here !

I was wondering if anyone has seen the China issue of National Geographic that came out in about May? Or did I just miss (edit)the thread about(/edit) it?

Saw it at the Dentist's office. Stopped at Barnes and Noble on the way home and bought one. Pretty cool. :lol:

I did not see this, I will try to find a copy or just read as much as I can on the Internet.