Making up for a lot of the bad feelings...

The old saying goes...Every cloud has a silver lining...and after the devastation of the Sichuan Earthquake with perhaps 80,000 dead and 5 million homeless it seems that the outpouring of support for China from all over the world has largely wiped out all the bad feelings that had been engendered in China by the problems with the Olympoic Torch Relay in other countries over the Tibet Issue...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=artslot

Guest Mike and Lily

I doubt it. In a year the Olympics and the quakes will be memories, yet I think that people will still be picking on China, if they haven't found someone else to pick on.

The earthquakes provide only a temporary reprieve in the criticism China will likely receive. The more powerful a country becomes (politically, militarily or economically), the bigger target they become from all types of people and governments. China's saving grace is that they don't engage in the type of global intervention and nation-building that the USA does. I am sure that China's continued economic success alone will make it a target for many nations and organizations in the future.

i dont know if this is off your topic roger, buti just want to say that i think there are so many miguided people...not only in america, but all over the world about their perception of the chinese people...and i, persoanlly as well as i am sure of many others here in the cfl really feel very blessed to have been to china...to meet our fiancee's and wives and to just be there to experience the daily life there...it really gives an isight to the inner workings of an otherwise mysteriopus country and people that we would otherwise only have the media to rely upon for for our perceptions....and as for the media, we all know that it is sensationalism that sells the news....so for those who have never been there, and i include those who have only been there as part of a tour group, i think most people have no clue about the inner workings of the chinese society, their culture and beliefs...to really know the people on a one on one basis....to go to peoples homes to visit....to talk with them while walking the streets or on a bus or with friends going out for dinner...i know there are good and bad people in all the countries the world, but i think so many people have no idea how wonderful the chinese people really are....i have been there with my rong many times, and there are many people in xi'an that have seen us together on numerous occasions....and when i am not there, she tells me about people she does not even know, will come up to her and say, "i know you. I have see you with your man many times at before" and will engage her with pleasant conversation....but, you know, is what i like to call the "Sexual Intellectuals" (just a nice way to say f*ckin know it alls) such as sharon stone that always seem to be heard the loudest and make the biggest impression...(off topic again)...thinking they know all there is to know about somethings they clearly know nothing about at all.......making my point here, i just wish there was a way of letting people know that the china people really are a very good people and that we really sympathize with them very much for their losses at this time and that the blabbermouths of hollywood are just that and the statements they make are merely for their own benefit...if i have something to say, i will say it myself...dont need the sexual intellectuals to do it for me

i dont know if this is off your topic roger, buti just want to say that i think there are so many miguided people...not only in america, but all over the world about their perception of the chinese people...and i, persoanlly as well as i am sure of many others here in the cfl really feel very blessed to have been to china...to meet our fiancee's and wives and to just be there to experience the daily life there...it really gives an isight to the inner workings of an otherwise mysteriopus country and people that we would otherwise only have the media to rely upon for for our perceptions....and as for the media, we all know that it is sensationalism that sells the news....so for those who have never been there, and i include those who have only been there as part of a tour group, i think most people have no clue about the inner workings of the chinese society, their culture and beliefs...to really know the people on a one on one basis....to go to peoples homes to visit....to talk with them while walking the streets or on a bus or with friends going out for dinner...i know there are good and bad people in all the countries the world, but i think so many people have no idea how wonderful the chinese people really are....i have been there with my rong many times, and there are many people in xi'an that have seen us together on numerous occasions....and when i am not there, she tells me about people she does not even know, will come up to her and say, "i know you. I have see you with your man many times at before" and will engage her with pleasant conversation....but, you know, is what i like to call the "Sexual Intellectuals" (just a nice way to say f*ckin know it alls) such as sharon stone that always seem to be heard the loudest and make the biggest impression...(off topic again)...thinking they know all there is to know about somethings they clearly know nothing about at all.......making my point here, i just wish there was a way of letting people know that the china people really are a very good people and that we really sympathize with them very much for their losses at this time and that the blabbermouths of hollywood are just that and the statements they make are merely for their own benefit...if i have something to say, i will say it myself...dont need the sexual intellectuals to do it for me

You're right on topic Steve...I think a lot of the misunderstanding comes about because of basic differences between western and eastern thought, lifestyles, religion, etc. All of us here know how great the Chinese people are but to many, many westerners they will remain "too different" from themselves... :lol: