Best places to live in China

Ken - ya - we differ a bit in 'what to look for' -

I want a larger city where I can get some internet access and expat food (on occasion), without the huge f'ing sprawl of BeiJing.

So I'm looking at Chengdu, Wuhan and Guangzhou. Guangzhou weather is dead similar to Houston, and I've lived there before - so I wanna try Wuhan or Chengdu.

Grandma's kitchen in chengdu is really goood for american food. I love that place.

Isn't Chengdu devastated by the earthquake now?

Chengdu is not damaged too much. The area north of Chengdu is were most of the damage is.

Won't you be scarred living in a city which is stading on top of the earth quake fault line?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is your wife's home town?

I am thinking of moving to China in about 2-3 months, if my wife does not get her visa (23 months and waiting).

I do not want Beijing or Shanghai. They are too large, very crowed and polluted. I am looking for a small town (1-2 million, according to Chinese standards) with clean air and clean water, with apartment rents and the cost of living on the low side. Some other Americans living in town, and some English speaking doctors in town would be bonuses.

Thanks - - - - - Ken88

I really like Kunming, Yunnan. It has really good weather all year. It is a few million people, fairly clean real nice country around it. I have visited Yunnan a few times and really like it. I am also trying Chengdu, but maybe now is not the best time to live there. Or maybe with the money bing pored into rebuilding it might be good. We own houses in south Yunnan in Jinghong. It is good, but hot and humid. We might trade that house for one in Kunming. Decent air quality in that area. Jinghong does have many earth quakes. Mostly small ones. Older style two bedroom houses will cost about 100,000 rmb maybe a bit more in a better location.

How would you compare Kunming and Jinghong, dollar wise and comfort wise? These are cities close to each other. Why is Jinghong hotter and more humid? Do you know if there is an earthquake fault line running thru Yunnan? I am going to rent for 1 year anyway. What would be the rent for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in these two cities?

Kunming cost more ; maybe double over Jinghong. Jinghong is small town about 100,000. It is much lower elevation ~500 m and it is tropical rain forest jungle. Elephants live near by Jinghong. Kunming is ~ 1,800 m, always about 70oC year around. Kunming is much bigger over 1 million people. Jinghong has many different nationalities in the city. Huni, Dai and many others.

Edited by Don (see edit history)

I want a larger city where I can get some internet access and expat food (on occasion), without the huge f'ing sprawl of BeiJing.

So I'm looking at Chengdu, Wuhan and Guangzhou. Guangzhou weather is dead similar to Houston, and I've lived there before - so I wanna try Wuhan or Chengdu.

Grandma's kitchen in chengdu is really goood for american food. I love that place.

Isn't Chengdu devastated by the earthquake now?

Chengdu is not damaged too much. The area north of Chengdu is were most of the damage is.

Won't you be scarred living in a city which is stading on top of the earth quake fault line?

Not really, i am in souther cal right now.

It appeared that you have been trvelling around looking for houses. Are you a real estate investor? For a $50,000 USD home, how much you put down and how much would be the monthly payment, (PITI) ?

Thanks - - Ken88

Right now for new homes the minimum downpayment is 30% I think. If the mortgage is in the expat's name, banks are supposed to be able to finance no more than 50%, but many banks ignore this and allow you to finance as much as a Chinese person could.

Interest rates for first time buyers of new homes are approximately 7% minus a 15% discount. Subsequent homes carry a mandatory 25% premium over the base rate of approximately 7%.

GZBILL, I have no experience in buying a home (apartment) in China and my Lao Po has two mortgages at this time and says she doesn't want another. Is it possible for me as an expat to get a mortgage at this time? I'm leaning toward a used home, not new, and we will be living in it, not renting out. I don't have any contacts here in Chengdu and her brother is a little hard to communicate with.

Thanks!

Bill

As an expat, it is not possible for you to buy commercial property at all. You can, however, buy residential property -- only one -- but first you must have been living here at least a year on either a student or work-related residence permit.

Once you meet that requirement, you may easily obtain a mortgage. On a new property you'll need about 40% cash and on a used property 50%. Fees for obtaining a mortgage are higher with second hand properties as well as the mortgage terms being much shorter.

wa wa wa - that will mondo suck. Steam Bath Bad! Wuhan Hot !

Wait a mo, I swear I wrote up something about Wuhan Cold! Snow Bad!! grrrr.. Ok - i'll be in Chengdu in June, so i can figure it out. I just hope these f'in aftershocks stop soon, her family is getting worried.

Well Darnell the advantage to living in Wuhan is that you don't have to go to the steam baths in the summer because Wuhan IS a steam bath... :D

Chengdu has much better weather... :D

Anybody have any experience in Shenzhen?

Wait a mo, I swear I wrote up something about Wuhan Cold! Snow Bad!! grrrr.. Ok - i'll be in Chengdu in June, so i can figure it out. I just hope these f'in aftershocks stop soon, her family is getting worried.

Well Darnell the advantage to living in Wuhan is that you don't have to go to the steam baths in the summer because Wuhan IS a steam bath... :D

Chengdu has much better weather... ;)

Yeah Wuhan is BOTH too hot and TOO cold but at least in different seasons... :D

In Beijing you can experience it ON THE SAME DAY... :D

Chengdu has much better weather... :D

I spent 3 days there in November so I am an EXPERT... :D

Too hot, too expensive, too crowded... ;)

It appeared that you have been trvelling around looking for houses. Are you a real estate investor? For a $50,000 USD home, how much you put down and how much would be the monthly payment, (PITI) ?

Thanks - - Ken88

Right now for new homes the minimum downpayment is 30% I think. If the mortgage is in the expat's name, banks are supposed to be able to finance no more than 50%, but many banks ignore this and allow you to finance as much as a Chinese person could.

Interest rates for first time buyers of new homes are approximately 7% minus a 15% discount. Subsequent homes carry a mandatory 25% premium over the base rate of approximately 7%.

GZBILL, I have no experience in buying a home (apartment) in China and my Lao Po has two mortgages at this time and says she doesn't want another. Is it possible for me as an expat to get a mortgage at this time? I'm leaning toward a used home, not new, and we will be living in it, not renting out. I don't have any contacts here in Chengdu and her brother is a little hard to communicate with.

Thanks!

Bill

As an expat, it is not possible for you to buy commercial property at all. You can, however, buy residential property -- only one -- but first you must have been living here at least a year on either a student or work-related residence permit.

Once you meet that requirement, you may easily obtain a mortgage. On a new property you'll need about 40% cash and on a used property 50%. Fees for obtaining a mortgage are higher with second hand properties as well as the mortgage terms being much shorter.

A few ways around the ownership issues if you have the contacts. One way is to use a local company to own the property, or a local family member. Than you have a contract with them on the ownership and the use of the land. The mortgage is harder to work around.

Thanks - - Ken88

Thanks!

Bill

A few ways around the ownership issues if you have the contacts. One way is to use a local company to own the property, or a local family member. Than you have a contract with them on the ownership and the use of the land. The mortgage is harder to work around.

Since almost all of us have wives who are PRCC it's even easier...Just put it in her name... :( Remember every house you buy in your wife's name = 10 years of wedded bliss... :) Eunice said so... :)

Thanks - - Ken88

Thanks!

Bill

Since almost all of us have wives who are PRCC it's even easier...Just put it in her name... :( Remember every house you buy in your wife's name = 10 years of wedded bliss... :) Eunice said so... :)

We have our houses done this way. In my wife's name. Her brother is the rental manager.

Well Darnell the advantage to living in Wuhan is that you don't have to go to the steam baths in the summer because Wuhan IS a steam bath... :unsure:

Chengdu has much better weather... :blink:

My wife lived there for about 15 years and she liked it. She especially liked the weather. Yes, it can be hot. But I guess it's like people here living in Fla. or So Cal, you like it, get used to it or you leave.

I only spent about a week there last year so my opinion doesn't carry too much weight. It was just ok for me but I liked Beijing better and Shanghai the best.

Well Darnell the advantage to living in Wuhan is that you don't have to go to the steam baths in the summer because Wuhan IS a steam bath... :blink:

Chengdu has much better weather... :)

My wife lived there for about 15 years and she liked it. She especially liked the weather. Yes, it can be hot. But I guess it's like people here living in Fla. or So Cal, you like it, get used to it or you leave.

I only spent about a week there last year so my opinion doesn't carry too much weight. It was just ok for me but I liked Beijing better and Shanghai the best.

Dave, what do you like so much about Beijing and Shanghai?