Best places to live in China

How is your wife's home town?

I am thinking of moving to China in about 2-3 months, if my wife does not get her visa (23 months and waiting).

I do not want Beijing or Shanghai. They are too large, very crowed and polluted. I am looking for a small town (1-2 million, according to Chinese standards) with clean air and clean water, with apartment rents and the cost of living on the low side. Some other Americans living in town, and some English speaking doctors in town would be bonuses.

Thanks - - - - - Ken88

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mike and Lily

I am thinking of moving to China in about 2-3 months, if my wife does not get her visa (23 months and waiting).

I do not want Beijing or Shanghai. They are too large, very crowed and polluted. I am looking for a small town (1-2 million, according to Chinese standards) with clean air and clean water, with apartment rents and the cost of living on the low side. Some other Americans living in town, and some English speaking doctors in town would be bonuses.

Thanks - - - - - Ken88

Sounds like Yunnan is your place. Not sure which towns though. Ask Rogerluli though. He lives there.

If I had my choice I think it would be fun to go to Urumqi, for a while anyway.

Really? Urumqi is as cold as Alaska, for a few months each year. Brrrr.

Really? Urumqi is as cold as Alaska, for a few months each year. Brrrr.

But if you're afraid of sharks, it's the place to be - farthest city from any beach in the world.

Thanks - - - - - Ken88

I really like Kunming, Yunnan. It has really good weather all year. It is a few million people, fairly clean real nice country around it. I have visited Yunnan a few times and really like it. I am also trying Chengdu, but maybe now is not the best time to live there. Or maybe with the money bing pored into rebuilding it might be good. We own houses in south Yunnan in Jinghong. It is good, but hot and humid. We might trade that house for one in Kunming. Decent air quality in that area.

I recently bought a place in Zhongshan which is located south of Guangzhou. It's a very beautiful city and clean. There is access to many good hospitals and they have staffs that speak English as there are many foreigners in the Guangdong province. Also it is not very crowded and the cost of living there is well below that of any major city in China. Here is a quote from one of many articles on Zhongshan:

"In recent years, Zhongshan has successively obtained such honors as National Clean City, National Advanced Unit in City Planning and Management, National Garden City, National Advanced City Practising Rejuvenation through Science and Technology, National Model City of Environmental Protection, China's Excellent Tourism City, National Advanced City in the Campaign of Building Culturally-advanced Cities and Guangdong Culturally-advanced City. In 1997, the city was selected by the United Nations as the recipient of Habitat Scroll of Honor Award."

Also it is not uncommon the see several USA people each day there. Zhongshan does not have the pollution problems that other cities experience in the Pearl River delta region.

Well everybody makes their own choices for their own reasons... :P

We decided that the climate and the environment were at the top of our list. We also wanted a relatively small city that was NOT congested.

I've written extensively about our two choices here with their own threads so I won't go into all the details...And the winners were... :o

Qionghai, Hainan, a metro area of 450,000, great weather in the fall - spring time, 15 km from the sea, 8 km from the hot springs, fairly cheap house prices when we bought, 2006, but about double since then. A lot to see and do on Hainan and Guangdong and Vietnam are nearby.

Yuxi, Yunnan, same size city, 5300 ft. elevation, great weather year around but more cool in the winter, fairly cheap house prices in 2006 and have gone up just a bit since, 98 km from Kunming. Again a lot to see and do in Yunnan and all of southeast asia is a train ride away.

Lately we've been looking at even smaller places. We "acquired" an old family place in a Hunan town of 58,000 and we are looking at a Hainan town of 110,000. So who knows how it will all shake out for us. It seems we'll be moving around quite a bit which makes it interesting... :blink:

Me, too. I've always wanted to get blown up riding a city bus.

Bill you are such a card... :o :P :blink:

I lived in Abu Dhabi for a year. The cultural mix would be interesting.

Dang, I wish I had the money to take my wife and grandson to China and really explore. It would be so interesting to go to the far northeast also and look for Russian influences.