Don't underestimate a Chinese woman, they can fit many activities into their day. My wife took three English classes in China and still had time to get her Driver's License. I actually brought up the subject because driving is more of a necessity in the USA. I figured it would be a long wait for the visa and why not use the time to learn a useful thing. She obtained her license and also learned to drive a car with a standard transmission. I told her she is ahead of many Americans because most Driving Schools here are now using cars with automatics.

Let her do it, it will be great for her confidence when she arrives here.

Guest Tony n Terrific

Driving here in the USA is nothing like China. My SO has a motor scooter and she knows how to navigate in Nanning traffic. But the USA is not China. Can you imagine if the drivers here drove like they do in China? We would have road rage 24/7.

She has never driven a car yet however I think she will not have a problem learning to do so. Plus it will build her confidence up and feel more into the American life style. I have a 2nd car that I will help her learn with. We will just have liability on it and if it gets damaged it will be no big loss.

Sounds like a wonderful idea! We still have some time here in China, and I just talked to my husband about it and told him if he wants to start here that he should go and sign up to practice while he's here. He loves the idea and I think it will save me A LOT of white hairs when he gets here and prepares for the test. This way he will just have to learn the road signs and things like that.

I live in a town with no public transportation, we have a free bus but it doesn't stop in the residential areas...so it really sucks. We already knew that he would need to get a license as soon as he is comfortable. This way, he just has to brush up on his English so he can pass the written exam and then be able to execute the commands the driving test man says!

Hello everyone, Just wanted to ask this question and see what the SO's think.....I wonder if you can explain something to me about Chinese women...OK?? I would like your opinions also, ...

Tom and Ling

When you say '...see what the SO's think...' it means you want us to ask our wives or girlfriends why they would want to learn to drive?

Then, you want the friend to explain about Chinese women? That's a tall order.

And finally our opinion? My opinion is 'ask her why she wants to learn to drive.' Cut out the middlemen.

By all means let her keep busy doing whatever she wants if she has truly quit her nursing job and has no other job but getting ready to come to USA.

Driving here in the USA is nothing like China. My SO has a motor scooter and she knows how to navigate in Nanning traffic. But the USA is not China.

This is very true, however it gives them the chance to learn basic operation skills in their native language. My wife did not learn in China and later we came to regret that decision. It took her longer to get her license. We had to find an instructor who spoke Mandarin so she could understand the basics. Luckily for us, we have a large Chinese population so finding one was not hard.

Oh - I missed that part about the SO's opinion.

She and I talked about this about a year ago - we agreed on a bunch of things, but two things that will ease her transition into the USA whilst she's still in China:

1. take English Classes in China

2. learn to drive IN China

maybe you live in public-transportation mecca - I know I don't !!!

Driving is a fundamental thing, without it? My fear is that my wife would feel like a prisoner in her own house.

First driving ... taking lessons and getting a Chinese license is smart. It will give her a basic familiarity with driving skills and, perhaps most importantly, the fact that she has had a license in China will save a bundle on US insurance. If she hasn't had a license before she'll get a new drivers rate for 1 to 2 years. She will also need lessons and study when she arrives in the US. Being able to drive in the US is absolutely essential and bolsters pride and freedom.

Second English ... Chinese instruction provides marginal learning for the time expended ... at least that's our experience. Our 19 year old daughter had 8 years of English in China and only tested out of the first class in the American College English program here in the US. She's a smart kid and English was her best subject in the Chinese school system. My wife took some English classes in China and I sat in a couple of times. Not very good, particularly conversational. As others have reported my wife also was in a Hispanic dominated ESL class her first year here. Borderline worthless but it was the only one she could get to until she had her driver's license. This year, being mobile, she's taking English at a college extension ... much better. The class is taught in English vice Spanish and has a broad cross section of students.

• 1 month later...

Nice informative thread.

I mentioned that when she got over here I would teach her to drive. I am now thinking it would be well worth the cash to have her take classes in China.

Most of us started driving before we were legal. I started moving cars about the trailer lot when I was like 10 ~ 11. Was able to drive with an adult legally when I was 13, then day time by myself at 14.

Even if you did not start early we all grew up seeing Mom and Dad drive so we had an idea of how it worked plus rules of the road.

I can only think of two cities you do NOT need a car to live here in America, NYC and Chicago. There may be others but after living and visiting most major cities in US, none that I would recommend.

I now think driving lessons will be one of the first things she does to prepare for America.

:offtopic: Really enjoy this site learning more each day. Thanks to all you for suffering thought this experience for us and sharing the good and bad! It is going to make my life easier! :mobrun:

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to ask this question and see what the SO's think.

I am fully supporting my wife in China, so she could quit her nursing job and focus on learning English.

Now I found out last night that she is taking Driving lessons.

I don't want to put up a fuss, but I am curious as to WHY does she want to take driving lessons.

I enclose a letter to a friend in China that helps with her english:

Hi Xianbi,

I wonder if you can explain something to me about Chinese women...OK??

Ling says she wants to or is learning to drive a car.....why is she doing this??

Is it for fun, or does she think that all people in America drive cars so she needs

to learn to drive to??

What is behind her wanting to learn to drive a car???

I don't want to discourage her but I feel it is more important for her

to learn English both written and conversational first....What do you

think and why is she doing this???

I have no clue, why she wants to learn to drive a car...can you explain??

Best regards,

Tom

I would like your opinions also, I don't think I should try to stop her, but it is going to be a while before she can drive over here in North Carolina.

Tom and Ling

It's been said in previous replies...but here's my view. Last year my gal bought a car, and took drving lessons, not necessariy in that order. It has increased her confidence, and moreover gave her a great opportunity to practice driving while SHE ATTENDED the University to do her 3rd and fourth year of English study. And guess, what -- when I go to the US on business next week -- she has the swimming instructor all lined up to teach her how to swim. (Can you imagine living in Hawaii and not knowing how to swim?)...so here is the second chinese woman (look at other replies) who had goals of Learning english, learning how to drive, and learning how to swim -- all viewed as important tools when assimilating into the American culture. ....Just look at a few American movies...to see the value of these three tools. Your gal is normal, support her, and encourage her to learn everything on earth that she can possible learn....she will love you more for the support you give her. Maybe flying lesson's are next??????

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to ask this question and see what the SO's think.

I am fully supporting my wife in China, so she could quit her nursing job and focus on learning English.

Now I found out last night that she is taking Driving lessons.

I don't want to put up a fuss, but I am curious as to WHY does she want to take driving lessons.

I enclose a letter to a friend in China that helps with her english:

Hi Xianbi,

I wonder if you can explain something to me about Chinese women...OK??

Ling says she wants to or is learning to drive a car.....why is she doing this??

Is it for fun, or does she think that all people in America drive cars so she needs

to learn to drive to??

What is behind her wanting to learn to drive a car???

I don't want to discourage her but I feel it is more important for her

to learn English both written and conversational first....What do you

think and why is she doing this???

I have no clue, why she wants to learn to drive a car...can you explain??

Best regards,

Tom

I would like your opinions also, I don't think I should try to stop her, but it is going to be a while before she can drive over here in North Carolina.

Tom and Ling

It's been said in previous replies...but here's my view. Last year my gal bought a car, and took drving lessons, not necessariy in that order. It has increased her confidence, and moreover gave her a great opportunity to practice driving while SHE ATTENDED the University to do her 3rd and fourth year of English study. And guess, what -- when I go to the US on business next week -- she has the swimming instructor all lined up to teach her how to swim. (Can you imagine living in Hawaii and not knowing how to swim?)...so here is the second chinese woman (look at other replies) who had goals of Learning english, learning how to drive, and learning how to swim -- all viewed as important tools when assimilating into the American culture. ....Just look at a few American movies...to see the value of these three tools. Your gal is normal, support her, and encourage her to learn everything on earth that she can possible learn....she will love you more for the support you give her. Maybe flying lesson's are next??????

Flying - hmmm. I think we'll start with skydiving! :ph34r:

Ping has had a driver's licence and car for years. I think she'll do just fine here. Reading direction signs is going to be difficult I imagine. You have a limited time to make a decision. I would find it challenging. We will get GPS so she can always get home. With that she'll be much more adventurous.

English is a challenge too. I'm working on Mandarine to be supportive. She says I speak wonderful - until I have to speak to someone else and they don't understand me at all! lol. She is a corageous speaker, never gives up and pieces together what she knows (like "car shoes" - tires). When she's here we will have to get more serious about vocabulary and grammer. I'll miss the chinglish. She's so cute.

I admire these ladies so much. They deserve our love and support.

My Liangliang says she already knows how to drive..hmm doesn't know how to swim tho...and how did I find out she knows how to drive, because she doesn't like my driving..lol

She looked at me one day while I was driving and said " My Mother only have one child, My Father only have one child. That child is ME, take care" I almost fell out of the car laughing..OK so I drive like local when I'm overseas :D

Working as a delivery driver in the USA can be fun, especially if she is wanting to recertify as a nurse in the usa - it gives her something to do whilst she's busy studying for her board exams.

I can't possibly imagine why you would not want her to take driving lessons in China - if she can drive THERE, she can drive anywhere in the world - China has the craziest traffic.

ha ha ha... your words let me recall what my husband said in China... Once on the way to the restaurant by taxi with my husband in harbin, it was rush hour, my husband told me" If we were still alive we could have good dinner tonight..."

My husband described the crazy traffic as playing balei...

ha ha ha...

But to our Chinese, we have to face the situation that we have the most population in the world.