Hello everyone,

Just wanted to ask this question and see what the SO's think.

I am fully supporting my wife in China, so she could quit her nursing job and focus on learning English.

Now I found out last night that she is taking Driving lessons.

I don't want to put up a fuss, but I am curious as to WHY does she want to take driving lessons.

I enclose a letter to a friend in China that helps with her english:

Hi Xianbi,

I wonder if you can explain something to me about Chinese women...OK??

Ling says she wants to or is learning to drive a car.....why is she doing this??

Is it for fun, or does she think that all people in America drive cars so she needs

to learn to drive to??

What is behind her wanting to learn to drive a car???

I don't want to discourage her but I feel it is more important for her

to learn English both written and conversational first....What do you

think and why is she doing this???

I have no clue, why she wants to learn to drive a car...can you explain??

Best regards,

Tom

I would like your opinions also, I don't think I should try to stop her, but it is going to be a while before she can drive over here in North Carolina.

Tom and Ling

Why shouldn't she learn to drive?

Learning English is important, but it is not a 24/7 job.

When you go to school, you study several subjects each semester.

This will keep her from being bored and she will have a head start on learning to drive here.

Good point and you are right...Learning English is not a 24/7 job.

I was not going to interfere, just curious as to why, but I may have my answer from ya'll......... :D :P :unsure:

Tom and Ling

Why shouldn't she learn to drive?

Learning English is important, but it is not a 24/7 job.

When you go to school, you study several subjects each semester.

This will keep her from being bored and she will have a head start on learning to drive here.

I wish my wife wanted to learn to drive. She went to ESL class when she first arrived here, but she got frustrated with all the hispanics speaking Spanish. She wanted to work so I found her a job at an all English speaking college which has helped her learn English and boost her confidence. I live in California she likes to walk to work since it is nearby maybe 5 minutes but it limits her jobs available to her since she doesn't want to learn to drive, I think American drivers intimidate her by their speeding and tailgating.

Working as a delivery driver in the USA can be fun, especially if she is wanting to recertify as a nurse in the usa - it gives her something to do whilst she's busy studying for her board exams.

I can't possibly imagine why you would not want her to take driving lessons in China - if she can drive THERE, she can drive anywhere in the world - China has the craziest traffic.

Hi Darnell

You have that right, China does have the craziest Traffic and while I was there on my first visit..I wondered why more people were not Killed... :D

Tom and Ling

I can't possibly imagine why you would not want her to take driving lessons in China - if she can drive THERE, she can drive anywhere in the world - China has the craziest traffic.

Let me add my two cents as we're going through this now. I WISH we had thought of this before my wife came here. IMHO learning to drive in a familiar place and in a familiar language is much preferred to waiting until getting here.

My wife hasn't driven for about 15 years and is pretty nervous about re-learning now. After just one "lesson" from me in an empty parking lot, :lol: it's become pretty clear that using a driving school is going to be a necessity. :P I wish she had at least practiced the basics in China before getting here and basically starting from scratch.

Even if it means's that your wife just learns the basics there and fine tunes with the different laws and signs etc here, I think it's a good idea.

Life in China doesn't require being able to drive to be mobile, unlike like in much of the US.

Before my wife came to the US she told me of two dreams she had, one was to learn how to swim, the other was drive a car. I was able to empower her to learn both and make the way easier for her. Now she drives 15 miles to work each day and meets her friends at the mall to shop on her days off.

Learning to drive is probably one of the most useful things your wife can learn to prepare her for life in the US.

My wife was also studying English in China and has continued to study since she arrived in the US 2-1/2 years ago and has a good mastery of English, but fluency will take more time. Our son has been here less than 2 years and speaks with little or no accent and people find it hard to believe he wasn't born in the US. It's easier for children.

Go easy on your expectations with her as she has some of her own as well.

If I were moving to America... The three things that would be most challenging and necessary are speaking english, driving and work. The first two make the third easier. I think she's on the right track.

Ping owns a car in China - it's been a tremendous help when I visit. I want her on the road here to have the ability to explore and learn. I just can't imagine the girls sitting at home all day and dependent on me for everything. :) Of course I'll be a wreck with worry. B)

Let me add my two cents as we're going through this now. I WISH we had thought of this before my wife came here. IMHO learning to drive in a familiar place and in a familiar language is much preferred to waiting until getting here.

My wife hasn't driven for about 15 years and is pretty nervous about re-learning now. After just one "lesson" from me in an empty parking lot, :) it's become pretty clear that using a driving school is going to be a necessity. ;) I wish she had at least practiced the basics in China before getting here and basically starting from scratch.

Even if it means's that your wife just learns the basics there and fine tunes with the different laws and signs etc here, I think it's a good idea.

I have to agree,

Neither my wife or step daughter could drive when they entered the USA'

They almost killed me while they learned to drive here.

It would have been better if they had at least started to learn the "how to " in China.

You are Lucky that she wants to learn and it's also maybe part of the fullfilment of a dream- I say Let her learn :)

@Tom - Why do you not want her to drive?

@BillV - Go to Dallas, and see the way the drive there. Scared the hell out of me!

Tom, I say if she is motivated, let her learn now. In America, the road to independence is literally paved in asphalt. If I had more time before my girl will arrive here, I might have encouraged her to do it too. I wish I had thought of it last year.