Personal Information and the interview

Question: We are getting ready for the big event in Guangzhou. I have gathered copies of tax returns, bank statements, etc. I'm not worried about my girl having access to these things, but should I black out part of account numbers, my SSN, etc so that other eyes can't see them? I'm thinking the Consulate staff can get that information if they really want it anyway so blacking it out would probably serve no useful purpose, but I'd really like to hear some other opinions on this issue. Thanks to all.

My opinion was that they need to see everything. I would not blank anything out for fear of the delays that it could cause. I DID however make it very clear to my sweet Fang that this is private information that could cause us harm in the future if in the wrong hands, and that she should protect this information, not show to anyone except consulate people, and eventually hand carry all copies of this information with her when she came to the US.

Good luck with your big day, and please keep us posted!!!!

Edited by michaelt (see edit history)

My mom is worried about this too. She filled out an I-864 before (she has to redo it because of tax stuffs) but she blacked out account numbers, ssn, etc. I told her it was probably not a good idea and begged her to make another one. She too, is not worried about me or my husband seeing the numbers, but rather other people/the visa officer. But now she seems to think that it's ok, that the govt has the numbers anyway, and she knows that both my husband and I know where all the copies are and if they are not needed, I always shred them and throw them in different trash cans (yeah, I'm paranoid, I did that in Hawaii too...)

I think it's best not to block out numbers, but I'm no expert, so I can't say for sure.

My opinion was that they need to see everything. I would not blank anything out for fear of the delays that it could cause. I DID however make it very clear to my sweet Fang that this is private information that could cause us harm in the future if in the wrong hands, and that she should protect this information, not show to anyone except consulate people, and eventually hand carry all copies of this information with her when she came to the US.

I havn't seen any past posts where more senior members mention this.

I do want to pass on a reall story that happened to my wife the other day. She needed to fax a letter to GUZ with some personal info and after the lady at the fax office faxed it she was trying to read it before giving it back to my wife. Of course my wife blasted her about trying to read it and to give it back immediately. I'm sure (hopefully) that it was just human curiosity but I'm glad she put a stop to it.

Try emailing GUZ to see what they say about this?

Guest Mike and Lily

Question: We are getting ready for the big event in Guangzhou. I have gathered copies of tax returns, bank statements, etc. I'm not worried about my girl having access to these things, but should I black out part of account numbers, my SSN, etc so that other eyes can't see them? I'm thinking the Consulate staff can get that information if they really want it anyway so blacking it out would probably serve no useful purpose, but I'd really like to hear some other opinions on this issue. Thanks to all.

I would recommend against blacking out anything. Remember, this is the US government. If you did, they could easily give you a blue slip and set you back several months or more.

If they ask for it on the form then they think they need it. If you don't give it to them then the form isn't complete. Valid grounds for a blue slip. I have been on this board for over 5 years. I have never heard of one single instance where that information has caused anyone any harm.

Seems a little late to worry about showing a SSN... it was requested on the I-129F and I assume it was filled in.

No need for bank statements if account numbers are your concern... there's plenty of other proof to provide:

- I-134

- Employer letter

- Taxes (yes, your SSN is on that)

- paystubs if one of the above is not available

- bank statement if proof of income by letter or paystubs are not available.

Your going to be asked for SSN and joint ownership account information in AOS and Removal of Conditions... Just get used to it...

I have a full set of documents here and a set for her to use. After the interview (pink) all original documents come back with us. Any copies will make a joyous bonfire for the girls to dance around (a big one) :roller:

There are a few lines in our corespondence that will be blacked out. I'll select emails that won't be completely blacked out - if I have enough of those! :P

Keep SSN numbers clear on all documents. It's the link that ties them all together. Ping shows them to no one.

Edited by Jay & Ping (see edit history)

I have approached/handled this the exact same way Michael has !! I would only worry about any of the info inadvertently falling into the hands of persons outside of the Consulate/government staff while in the custody of your beneficiary. Therefore, our respective women must guard the documents and the information they contain, from anyone’s eyes except the officials on the GUZ staff.

Additionally, I will add the following thought, while staying focused on the thesis of the OP’s question/concern; which was the security of the information while at the Consulate and with the Consulate staff:

You need to remember, between the detailed information about you as contained in the I-130 and/or I-129F, the G-325A, and your birth certificate, your divorce certificate (if you were married before) all the other bona fides of relationship information you will have supplied from start to finish at GUZ, they have your entire life and identity on paper, in their case file.

The staffs at the Service Centers have seen it, the staff at the NVC have seen it and now the staff at the Consulate will see it all; every document and every page, as a valid component of what they must have to adjudicate your petition.

Moreover, at the Consulate not only do they have what you have supplied, they have complete and total access to all of the information and data compiled on each of us by the USCIS, and the NVC staffs over the many months of the process. This would include your NCIC file and total fingerprint history and all of the things which may have been entered into the NCIC system over the years. They will have any 'profile' outline formulated on you along the way. They will also have access to any other government data base which has a nexus to their investigation at hand.

And don’t forget the statement we all signed on the primary I-129F and/or I-130, which gives them permission to access whatever they deem necessary to determine one’s “eligibility” for the benefit you are seeking.

Therefore, any attempt to block and/or hide any information would be counterproductive and if attempted, would most likely not be viewed upon very favorably.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

quote name='yemmie' date='May 10 2008, 02:27 AM' post='401448']

Just remember everyone, this is the government. If they really want to use the information you provide, they can get it anyways. The government has our whole history. The information they ask is to verify that your SO is for real. All they want is verification and to match what they already have.

Jimncherry

Guest Mike and Lily

quote name='yemmie' date='May 10 2008, 02:27 AM' post='401448']

Just remember everyone, this is the government. If they really want to use the information you provide, they can get it anyways. The government has our whole history. The information they ask is to verify that your SO is for real. All they want is verification and to match what they already have.

Jimncherry

With that being said, when you go to the interview (or send the kitchen sink to your SO), you should guard the kitchen sink very carefully. (or tell your SO to guard it carefully) It's not something you would want to fall into the wrong hands.