Visa Crackdown

The visa situation in China is changing and many here are feeling the pinch.

It would be accurate to say that over half of all expats working in China are doing so illegally on other than work (Z) visas. That percentage is lowering every day. Shanghai and Beijing have been starting to get a handle on this for the past six months or so, but recently Guangzhou has started getting into the act and the central government is giving them a hand by changing the visa policies.

Supposedly because of the Olympics, it is now difficult to get anything other than 90-day tourist (L) or business (F) visas with a maximum of 30-day stays per entry. They are no demanding to see confirmed hotel reservations and return tickets before issuing visas. Even student visas have been restricted.

Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and now Guangzhou are conducting more frequent visa raids in areas where expats are known to live, congregate and likely to work.

Of course, this was bound to happen sooner or later. Will it end after the Olympics? Not entirely.

While it may be true about cracking down on those who abuse the visa policy in the PRC, just for the record, I renewed my PRC (L) visa ten days ago, and received a one year duration, 90-day stay per entry visa, and had it back in four days, without paying the express service at the Consulate, only the FedEx service each way.

Moreover, there was no request for airline ticket or hotel info, just the usual approximate dates of visits, of which I provided a range for my next visit only.

People who are married to Chinese nationals or permanent residents can still get one-year tourist visas. Well actually, those of us who are married to Chinese Nationals, can now get a two-year (L) visa. I did not do it this time, because it is more money and I can so easily get a one year visa, which serves my needs for now

I'm surprised people don't consider their own unique set of circumstances when thinking certain policies don't exist. :) Sir, please don't roll your eyes at me !!!

Strange how you can FedEx your visa application in when no Chinese consulate in the US will process any application unless delivered and picked up in person. Yes, many things in life can be strange; I used a visa agent in Houston.....BTW, it would be helpful if you posted your timeline for the rest of us to see.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would be helpful if you posted your timeline for the rest of us to see.

Some people do not see the need for timelines in their posts...I do not have one for instance Rog...I find it unnecessarily time-consuming to scroll through them all the time when I never read them...why can't there be a timeline section for those who love reading them... :)

why can't there be a timeline section for those who love reading them... :D

There is a timeline section, not part of the BB, but part of the web portal itself. It hasn't been updated in a while. You carry some weight? I beg of you, please push it around, so that others may study the timeline section here over at http://www.candleforlove.com/FAQ/Timelines/Ne...Index_New2.html , which hasn't been updated since 9/30/07.

Also, in the 'Circling GUZ' topic, the first 2 mesgs have current timelines for those 'in the pipe', over at

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=29846&hl=

Thanks in advance !!!

Studying timelines is useful to me !!

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

why can't there be a timeline section for those who love reading them... :D

There is a timeline section, not part of the BB, but part of the web portal itself. It hasn't been updated in a while. You carry some weight? I beg of you, please push it around, so that others may study the timeline section here over at http://www.candleforlove.com/FAQ/Timelines/Ne...Index_New2.html , which hasn't been updated since 9/30/07.

in the 'Circling GUZ' topic, the first 2 mesgs have current timelines for those 'in the pipe', over at

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=29846&hl=

Thanks in advance !!!

Studying timelines is useful to me !!

The problem was maintaining it. David Z. used to maintain it until last year, but it is so labor intensive, it became too much of a chore. Then Rob asked to start the separate one for Circling GUZ, for those of us who were close, when the entire system ground to a halt, earlier in the year. This is why the personal timeline with the individual being able to change it any time, has seemed to work best for quick reference.

I already promised Rog I would reduce my timeline greatly, once Lao Po arrives later in the spring. :D :lol:

Anyway, once she is here, I will be so busy with wife and kids, I will most likely only be able to check in here at Christmas time, to let all know we are well !! ;)

The visa situation in China is changing and many here are feeling the pinch.

It would be accurate to say that over half of all expats working in China are doing so illegally on other than work (Z) visas. That percentage is lowering every day. Shanghai and Beijing have been starting to get a handle on this for the past six months or so, but recently Guangzhou has started getting into the act and the central government is giving them a hand by changing the visa policies.

Supposedly because of the Olympics, it is now difficult to get anything other than 90-day tourist (L) or business (F) visas with a maximum of 30-day stays per entry. They are no demanding to see confirmed hotel reservations and return tickets before issuing visas. Even student visas have been restricted.

Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and now Guangzhou are conducting more frequent visa raids in areas where expats are known to live, congregate and likely to work.

Of course, this was bound to happen sooner or later. Will it end after the Olympics? Not entirely.

While it may be true about cracking down on those who abuse the visa policy in the PRC, just for the record, I renewed my PRC (L) visa ten days ago, and received a one year duration, 90-day stay per entry visa, and had it back in four days, without paying the express service at the Consulate, only the FedEx service each way.

Moreover, there was no request for airline ticket or hotel info, just the usual approximate dates of visits, of which I provided a range for my next visit only.

People who are married to Chinese nationals or permanent residents can still get one-year tourist visas. Well actually, those of us who are married to Chinese Nationals, can now get a two-year (L) visa. I did not do it this time, because it is more money and I can so easily get a one year visa, which serves my needs for now

I'm surprised people don't consider their own unique set of circumstances when thinking certain policies don't exist. :lol: Sir, please don't roll your eyes at me !!!

Strange how you can FedEx your visa application in when no Chinese consulate in the US will process any application unless delivered and picked up in person. Yes, many things in life can be strange; I used a visa agent in Houston.....BTW, it would be helpful if you posted your timeline for the rest of us to see.

There is a flat fee of $130 regardless of whether you have a one-year visa or a five-year visa. Whether you have single entry or multiple entry is also irrelevant.

The L visa for those married to Chinese nationals or permanent residents issued in-country is different from that issued by the Chinese consulates abroad. Those issued in-country are for a maximum of two years, multiple entry and have no maximum stay provisions (i.e. 90-day stays). They cost 900 RMB (as of today). They can be automatically renewed anually for an indefinite number of years -- or until visa laws change ... again.

And just why would I be posting a timeline?

The L visa for those married to Chinese nationals or permanent residents issued in-country is different from that issued by the Chinese consulates abroad. Those issued in-country are for a maximum of two years, multiple entry and have no maximum stay provisions (i.e. 90-day stays). They cost 900 RMB (as of today). They can be automatically renewed anually for an indefinite number of years -- or until visa laws change ... again.

As I posted in another thread on CFL, I just received my in-country visa extension for one year on April 14 in Chengdu and the cost was 940 RMB, so there appears to be some variablilty.

With regard to the visa crackdown, lao po and I had a peculiar visit at our apartment this morning.... two Chinese men, one in a police uniform. Dang, I wish I could understand the language! Anyway, the gist of the visit was that they wanted to "make friends", although there was a lot of fingerpointing at me by the man in uniform. Very friendly, but obviously asking lao po a lot of questions. There was even an invitation to visit at their "house", which I gathered afterwards to have meant the police station, at any time. After they left, I asked lao po what was the reason for their visit and she said it was to insure my "safety" as a foreigner visiting in Chengdu. She also said the guy in civies was the officer's supervisor. I recognized him from seing him regularly on the street next to our apartment when the kids are let out each day at the middle school next door, I imagine keeping an eye on things. Won't let this cause me to lose any sleep.... oh, and btw, they never once asked to see my documents.

As I posted in another thread on CFL, I just received my in-country visa extension for one year on April 14 in Chengdu and the cost was 940 RMB, so there appears to be some variablilty.

With regard to the visa crackdown, lao po and I had a peculiar visit at our apartment this morning.... two Chinese men, one in a police uniform. Dang, I wish I could understand the language! Anyway, the gist of the visit was that they wanted to "make friends", although there was a lot of fingerpointing at me by the man in uniform. Very friendly, but obviously asking lao po a lot of questions. There was even an invitation to visit at their "house", which I gathered afterwards to have meant the police station, at any time. After they left, I asked lao po what was the reason for their visit and she said it was to insure my "safety" as a foreigner visiting in Chengdu. She also said the guy in civies was the officer's supervisor. I recognized him from seing him regularly on the street next to our apartment when the kids are let out each day at the middle school next door, I imagine keeping an eye on things. Won't let this cause me to lose any sleep.... oh, and btw, they never once asked to see my documents.

Bill do you think eventually, after the 5 year minimum, you would apply for permanent residency in China??? Or are there no real advantages over continuing to get the spouse L visa??? :lol:

Bill do you think eventually, after the 5 year minimum, you would apply for permanent residency in China??? Or are there no real advantages over continuing to get the spouse L visa??? :P

Yes, Roger, I'm certain I will apply for permanent residency after the waiting period. One reason is, it may be an issue for lao po, as I imagine she might view it as a further commitment that I am serious about living here. Also, it could be a hedge against the PRC changing their visa policy and being left in the lurch. Finally, it would save the repetitive cost of the application fee :huh: I don't see any disadvantages to getting permanent residency, but I've been labeled naive before.

Bill do you think eventually, after the 5 year minimum, you would apply for permanent residency in China??? Or are there no real advantages over continuing to get the spouse L visa??? :unsure:

Yes, Roger, I'm certain I will apply for permanent residency after the waiting period. One reason is, it may be an issue for lao po, as I imagine she might view it as a further commitment that I am serious about living here. Also, it could be a hedge against the PRC changing their visa policy and being left in the lurch. Finally, it would save the repetitive cost of the application fee :roller: I don't see any disadvantages to getting permanent residency, but I've been labeled naive before.

The only disadvantage is that China, quite like the USA, taxes on one's worldwide income.

Other than that, there are only advantages. It is, however, a lot more complex than just being married and staying here 5 years. Much more complicated.

Bill do you think eventually, after the 5 year minimum, you would apply for permanent residency in China??? Or are there no real advantages over continuing to get the spouse L visa??? :unsure:

Yes, Roger, I'm certain I will apply for permanent residency after the waiting period. One reason is, it may be an issue for lao po, as I imagine she might view it as a further commitment that I am serious about living here. Also, it could be a hedge against the PRC changing their visa policy and being left in the lurch. Finally, it would save the repetitive cost of the application fee :roller: I don't see any disadvantages to getting permanent residency, but I've been labeled naive before.

The only disadvantage is that China, quite like the USA, taxes on one's worldwide income.

Other than that, there are only advantages. It is, however, a lot more complex than just being married and staying here 5 years. Much more complicated.

Hopefully, thanks to ground breakers like GZBILL, it will become easier and more commonly done in the future... :D

Bill do you think eventually, after the 5 year minimum, you would apply for permanent residency in China??? Or are there no real advantages over continuing to get the spouse L visa??? :worthy:

Yes, Roger, I'm certain I will apply for permanent residency after the waiting period. One reason is, it may be an issue for lao po, as I imagine she might view it as a further commitment that I am serious about living here. Also, it could be a hedge against the PRC changing their visa policy and being left in the lurch. Finally, it would save the repetitive cost of the application fee :worthy: I don't see any disadvantages to getting permanent residency, but I've been labeled naive before.

Hopefully, thanks to ground breakers like GZBILL, it will become easier and more commonly done in the future... :)

They have been talking for the last couple of years of making it easier, but in the end they never do. Sometimes I think they really don't want anybody to qualify.

Still, the secret to success is having all your ducks in order when you apply. To that end, if anybody is going to apply I can help you by giving you pointers on what to do and, just as importantly, what not to do.

Bill do you think eventually, after the 5 year minimum, you would apply for permanent residency in China??? Or are there no real advantages over continuing to get the spouse L visa??? :worthy:

Yes, Roger, I'm certain I will apply for permanent residency after the waiting period. One reason is, it may be an issue for lao po, as I imagine she might view it as a further commitment that I am serious about living here. Also, it could be a hedge against the PRC changing their visa policy and being left in the lurch. Finally, it would save the repetitive cost of the application fee :worthy: I don't see any disadvantages to getting permanent residency, but I've been labeled naive before.

Hopefully, thanks to ground breakers like GZBILL, it will become easier and more commonly done in the future... :)

They have been talking for the last couple of years of making it easier, but in the end they never do. Sometimes I think they really don't want anybody to qualify.

Still, the secret to success is having all your ducks in order when you apply. To that end, if anybody is going to apply I can help you by giving you pointers on what to do and, just as importantly, what not to do.

You got your PR in one of China's largest cities with thousands of foreigners running around...Now the way I read it, other than the basic requirements, it is a local government decision. Do you think it would perhaps be easier to do in a small city that has never seen the foreign influx of GZ ?

In the process of renewing my work visa. Don't expect any problems for myself and wife and daughter. But my son's on a tourist visa and he has been here for almost a year now. Not sure how it will work out with his visa (he is over 18).

On another note, has any one tried to get a permit to visit Tibet? I am thinking of going in the summer and wonder if they have tighten up the policy of USC visiting in Tibet. I would not venture out there without a permit in today's envirnment.