Visa Crackdown

The visa situation in China is changing and many here are feeling the pinch.

It would be accurate to say that over half of all expats working in China are doing so illegally on other than work (Z) visas. That percentage is lowering every day. Shanghai and Beijing have been starting to get a handle on this for the past six months or so, but recently Guangzhou has started getting into the act and the central government is giving them a hand by changing the visa policies.

Supposedly because of the Olympics, it is now difficult to get anything other than 90-day tourist (L) or business (F) visas with a maximum of 30-day stays per entry. They are no demanding to see confirmed hotel reservations and return tickets before issuing visas. Even student visas have been restricted.

Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and now Guangzhou are conducting more frequent visa raids in areas where expats are known to live, congregate and likely to work.

Of course, this was bound to happen sooner or later. Will it end after the Olympics? Not entirely.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be accurate to say that over half of all expats working in China are doing so illegally on other than work (Z) visas. That percentage is lowering every day. Shanghai and Beijing have been starting to get a handle on this for the past six months or so, but recently Guangzhou has started getting into the act and the central government is giving them a hand by changing the visa policies.

Supposedly because of the Olympics, it is now difficult to get anything other than 90-day tourist (L) or business (F) visas with a maximum of 30-day stays per entry. They are no demanding to see confirmed hotel reservations and return tickets before issuing visas. Even student visas have been restricted.

Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and now Guangzhou are conducting more frequent visa raids in areas where expats are known to live, congregate and likely to work.

Of course, this was bound to happen sooner or later. Will it end after the Olympics? Not entirely.

While it may be true about cracking down on those who abuse the visa policy in the PRC, just for the record, I renewed my PRC (L) visa ten days ago, and received a one year duration, 90-day stay per entry visa, and had it back in four days, without paying the express service at the Consulate, only the FedEx service each way.

Moreover, there was no request for airline ticket or hotel info, just the usual approximate dates of visits, of which I provided a range for my next visit only.

I note you didn't cover Z renewals with your report. Anything about that?

You mentioned 'many here are feeling the pinch' - do you mean the pinch of an overstay?

Or the pinch of renewal ?

Or the pinch of working whilst on an 'L' visa? (Isn't that illegal, anyway?)

I am proud of my expired Z visa , but I don't think it'd be a problem to get another one?

These expats don't have a sponsering Chinese Company to maintain their Z visas?

This year I only use my L visa to see my wife, I got 1 year span with 60 day durations.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

You mentioned 'many here are feeling the pinch' - do you mean the pinch of an overstay?

I am proud of my expired Z visa , but I don't think it'd be a problem to get another one?

This year I only use my L visa to see my wife, I got 1 year span with 60 day durations.

Is this getting the visa renewed in China, because it still sounds as if the consulates here in the US are still issuing L visa's for different lengths of stays as usual.

While it may be true about cracking down on those who abuse the visa policy in the PRC, just for the record, I renewed my PRC (L) visa ten days ago, and received a one year duration, 90-day stay per entry visa, and had it back in four days, without paying the express service at the Consulate, only the FedEx service each way.

Moreover, there was no request for airline ticket or hotel info, just the usual approximate dates of visits, of which I provided a range for my next visit only.

Same here, Roger. 1-year multiple entry visa received today. No special request of tickets, hotel...etc.

People who are married to Chinese nationals or permanent residents can still get one-year tourist visas.

I'm surprised people don't consider their own unique set of circumstances when thinking certain policies don't exist. :ph34r:

Strange how you can FedEx your visa application in when no Chinese consulate in the US will process any application unless delivered and picked up in person.

Is this getting the visa renewed in China, because it still sounds as if the consulates here in the US are still issuing L visa's for different lengths of stays as usual.

At one time you could renew your F or L visas onthe Mainland twice -- each time for 30 days. They have eliminated that possibility now. Most people get 5 days, but there are those who can get 30 days until having to leave the country.

In Hong Kong, very, very few F visas are being issued and those that are are for 90-days with maximum stays of 30 days. L visas are being issued, but usually maximum stays of 30 days also. For any F or L visa you must provide a return ticket and confirmed hotel reservations.

The PRC Visa Office in HK will only attend HK residents. All others must return home to apply for their visa except for certain individuals applying for a work (Z) visa.

Z visa renewals are still easily available as long as your company supplies all the right documentation. Even then, most have to leave the Mainland to apply in HK when they are switching from an L or F visa to a Z visa. It all depends on how much registered, paid-up capital your company has.

The problem with L and F visas is that well over 50% of those working here are doing so illegally -- on either L or F visas. That party is ending.

If you are the spouse of a PRC national or permanent resident, there are special provisions for long term L visas are still in place.

GZBill -

OK - so as you're telling us, those who are IN China on Tourist Visas, and WORKING, are being round up and forced to get the right type of VISA. Good ! Isn't that as it should be ? What you're describing is illegal working condition in the first place.. (I'm telling, not asking).

You mention a 'PARTY' for the expats. Geez. When I lived in GZ, I never did 'the Party' - I was all legit. It's good to be legit, was able to get more contracts signed and have no fear of exposure to the POLICE.

Of course, YMMV.

So Bill is this scenario doable... :ph34r:

A USC and PRC resident wife move to China...The USC spouse subsists on L spouse visas for the requisite 5 years and then becomes a PR...meanwhile the Chinese citizen wife has to return every year or two to the US to keep her US PR intact...Once the USC has his Chinese PR the Chinese wife can then become a USC who can then return to China as the spouse of a PR and she should immediately be eligible to become a Chinese PR having fulfilled the 5 year residency requirement already... :lol:

So after 5 years of this song and dance both are USCs and China PRs...only being required to spend 9 months every year in China, there being no further requirements on returns to the US for either... :huh:

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)

People who are married to Chinese nationals or permanent residents can still get one-year tourist visas.

I'm surprised people don't consider their own unique set of circumstances when thinking certain policies don't exist. :ph34r:

Strange how you can FedEx your visa application in when no Chinese consulate in the US will process any application unless delivered and picked up in person.

If these policies exist, I do not understand why the visa service I used did not ask if my wife is Chinese nor require that I pick up the visa in person, as you state. The application form and the process was exactly as I have done it 3 times prior. The only difference was that I was able to get a 1-year visa instead of just 6 months max. :lol:

I have heard this week that many Missionaries using F visa to work in China are being refused renewal and being asked to show a two way plane ticket.

Perhaps with all the Tibet brooha they are trying to reduce the support for free Tibet and Falun Gong that many illegal foreigners support. Anyway things were bound to tighten up before the Olympics.

Even during the L.A. Olympics special security, visa scrutiny etc was implemented in the USA. Remember the Munich Olympics already before 9/11 established the lympics as a terrorist publicity forum.