we have to relearn English

I recently returned from China. The hotel room door had a chain inside, as a safety lock. In case you did not know what to do with it, there was instruction, in Chinese and English. The English version goes like this: BUCKLE UP BEFORE YOU ROOSTER

(I attended the American Citizen Hour. I will post the details in 2-3 days)

Edited by ken88 (see edit history)

I recently returned from China. The hotel room door had a chain inside, as a safety lock. In case you did not know what to do with it, there was instruction, in Chinese and English. The English version goes like this: BUCKLE UP BEFORE YOU ROOSTER

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!! AS IN YES

I did cock-a-doodle-do and beat my chest on the front porch the morning after once :P

I was young then. I got young again a couple of years ago ;) too :(

Ah yes... love the Chinglish... though still pondering how I will buckle before I rooster next time? Hilarious!

Now I...

... drive in the Couple's Line (carpool lane) with my SO

... get my shirts flattened after washing

... packet my pocket before taking a trip

... visit Arizona to see the Grand Onion, etc.

Often I find, with the exception of the Grand Onion (and now the Rooster thing) that Chinglish makes much more practical sense.

Ah yes... love the Chinglish... though still pondering how I will buckle before I rooster next time? Hilarious!

Now I...

Often I find, with the exception of the Grand Onion (and now the Rooster thing) that Chinglish makes much more practical sense.

After flattening your shirts, dont forget to put them in the 'put clothes place'.

Now I...

After flattening your shirts, dont forget to put them in the 'put clothes place'.

:)

For a while it was the "clothes hotel," but now "clothes room" for us. :rolleyes:

if you guys dont already know about it, you guys would love engrish.com

mostly japanese stuff but there are chinese and korean, etc.

and my hotel room in beijing yesterday told me

"landslip carefully"

i think they were trying to tell me "caution wet floor" (in the shower!! LOL)

My favorites are...

We go to the car shower. (Car wash)

I wear my skpe hug pants. (terry cloth pajama pants for warmth - they are like the bear emoticon on skype)

Tummy happy? (have you eaten enough?)

I hate correcting her because she picks up the corrections so quickly and stops the cute chinglish. :huh:

I have to give honorable mention to my 3 year old niece that farted one day and giggled "Oh, I burped in my poopies!"

Chinglish version of fart: Morning Music ! (I'm not correcting this one).

My favorites are...

I have to give honorable mention to my 3 year old niece that farted one day and giggled "Oh, I burped in my poopies!"

You could always confuse her and say there goes those barking spiders........ :huh: ;) ;) ;)

I came across over a dozen interesting phrases. I should have written them down. But I didn't. Next time, I will.

Another instance I remember is this. On one morning, I was trying to use the guest computer at the hotel. I was not getting the internet connection. I informed the front desk accordingly. He said that he will get somebody to fix it. In the evening, I asked the same person if the computer is fixed. He answered " THE COMPUTER IS FIXED. . . TOMORROW". I thought that the computer is fixed and I tried to use it. It did not work ! So I went back to him and said that it is not working. He said TOMORROW. Then I understood. What he wanted to say was "It is not fixed today. It will be fixed tomorrow". I guess in Chinese grammer, there are no past, present and future tenses !

• 3 weeks later...

On the topic, I have a lot of interesting Chinglish and Jinglish (Japanese English or Engrish as it is sometimes called).

I sometimes will deliberately use my poor Asian language skills to joke with her.

When I refered to her as a "wimp" one time (a running joke that we have because she can't open the Kimchi jar), she told me...

"You shouldn't say wimp! You should say 'Onna rashii" (feminine)!"

I replied, "It's true. You are 'Onara rashii'." (like a fart).

Guest Tony n Terrific

My favorites are...

We go to the car shower. (Car wash)

I wear my skpe hug pants. (terry cloth pajama pants for warmth - they are like the bear emoticon on skype)

Tummy happy? (have you eaten enough?)

I hate correcting her because she picks up the corrections so quickly and stops the cute chinglish. :ph34r:

When my Kids where little we where refer to that as tooting your horn.