Another letter to Powell and Harty

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Victoria

The storm is still raging out there, now with thunder and lightning which we almost never have here. I have to expect another outage today, so I'll say what I have to say now before it happens. Jim, I guess you know how it is, if you were down for 5 days (!).

Mark, good job starting the letter. seafloor and Robert, I see I've been replaced as the "writer"...my 15 minutes seem to be up. Anyway, let's be specific and skibum, I am actually quite optimistic that we will get another reply.

Robert, just call me if you need anything as you're getting ready to send. I'm going to the airport at 11:00 to try to catch one of "us" when he changes planes at SFO. Other than that I'll be up VERY late and am off everyday, not just tomorrow...so you know where to find me.

Eric, I emailed you about us being in Beijing at the same time, but I didn't think we might even be on the same flight! Mine is UA SFO-LAX, LAX-NRT, NRT-PEK leaving about 8 am Dec. 26 and arriving around 9 pm Dec. 27. It would be amazing if we were on the same flight. But if you're juiced on some weird Brazillian liquor then I'm not going to talk to you and I'll pretend I don't know you. 16 hours is a long time to be stuck on an airplane with a drunken Frenchman.

I hope I can "enjoy" my "trip", with the soreness and the limp and the elastic stocking and the brace and the physical therapy I'm supposed to be doing 3x a day to my poor foot...plus all the luggage we've got to transport from the boonies to GZ to HK...in the winter cold...This is what I've been dreaming about, so I wouldn't be doing anything else, I'm not complaining...it's just hard to know how to reply when someone says "Have a great trip!" I'll do my best.

Victoria

<snip>

Eric, I emailed you about us being in Beijing at the same time, but I didn't think we might even be on the same flight! Mine is UA SFO-LAX, LAX-NRT, NRT-PEK leaving about 8 am Dec. 26 and arriving around 9 pm Dec. 27. It would be amazing if we were on the same flight. But if you're juiced on some weird Brazillian liquor then I'm not going to talk to you and I'll pretend I don't know you. 16 hours is a long time to be stuck on an airplane with a drunken Frenchman< snip>

LOL.. I'd behave !! But we are not on the same flight.. I arrive Dec 26 at 4 PM... Where will you be staying?? If you call, please identify yourself in case she picks up. You know women :lol: :D

Guest Victoria

Eric, I'll just call and say I'm your girlfriend and I meant to put your warm wool scarf in with your luggage but I forgot, and I'm so worried you might catch cold...Give you guys a little something to chat about, help you get to know each other a little better...

Eric, I'll just call and say I'm your girlfriend and I meant to put your warm wool scarf in with your luggage but I forgot, and I'm so worried you might catch cold...Give you guys a little something to chat about, help you get to know each other a little better...

Victoria, that's viscious - I love it!!!! :lol:

yees, that is nasty.... LOL

My shot at a letter. Should be signed by the same people. Please add the date of the original. And delete any thing that was covered in the first letter.

December 16, 2002

Dear Ms. Harty,

Thank you very much for your reply to my fax sent to Secretary Powell on December..........

First, let me say that everyone involved with the fax knows that you are not to blame for the problem but have inherited a difficult situation. This situation has not made any of our lives very easy.

Many applicants for K visas went to the Consulate in Guangzhou in August of this year expecting to receive their visas as the Consulate web site continued to say that visas were being issued the next day. It was almost a month before the web site was updated causing much hard feelings toward the DOS. I cannot think of any excuse for this delay.

Every enquiry to the DOS was answered with the same message that was posted on the Consulate and DOS web sites. No specific information was available. Needless to say that this caused much speculation on the various Internet message boards that sprang up to address the problem. Rumors were rampant. Facts were few. We were given the impression that the delay would be 6-8 weeks. Many are now in the 4th month of waiting. This made it very hard to make plans and caused many plans to be scrapped. Because of the lack of information, it is hard to understand why Chinese applicants are undergoing this additional check. It does not seem that our

county's safety would have been compromised by allowing the applicants into the USA under a plan such as that used by the expired "V" visas.

Here are some of the opinions given on the message boards and I think that they should be addressed to help clear up the confusion. I hope that you think we deserve this because of our treatment by your predecessor.

1) Many people feel that applicants from Middle Eastern countries are being given special consideration for some reason. There have been allegations that K visas have been issued to people from Pakistan and Saudia Arabia. Also, the Philippines where we are actively fighting a terrorist organization. Is this true?

2) There was a posting that stated that a woman was told to show up to get her visa at 4:30 PM on December 13th along with 9 or 10 others. She stated that about 5 applicants received visas but the others were told that the computers were shut down and they would have to come back another day. If true, this caused a problem with her reservations on her flight to the USA. Is this true?

3)Many wonder how Yao Ming and his parents were able to get visas so quickly. Was the same check done to him or the parents that is being done to our loved ones? Was special consideration given them at the request of a Texas Senator?

4) Is the delay in clearance of applicants interviewed in August due to improper handling by the DOS either at the Consulate or in DC?

5) Why was such a large number held and sent to the Consulate rather than smaller batches sent that they could handle?

I think that this may give you an idea the issues raised by the lack of information from the DOS. I hope you will clear the air on these issues. Many of us are veterans, all taxpayers and some Servicemen afraid that they will be shipped to the Middle East before the visa comes through. I hope you think we deserve better information than what we have gotten in the past.

Some suggestions:

1) Have personnel from other Consulates in China help Guangzhou get through the back log.

2) Waive the time limit on documents such as the police certificate. In many instances the applicant had to spend several days and travel to another city to get these and the reason they have, in some cases expired, is due to the additional checks taking so long.

3) Post more information on the Consulate web site. This will actually save time because there would be fewer e-mails and phone calls that they would have to deal with.

4) Have Mr. Boucher address these issues in a realistic manner at the press briefing so that the public will know what we are going through.

5) It is our understanding that there are about 7 people who answer the help phone in DC. One of these is described as having an Indian accent and is very uncooperative. She does not deserve to be getting our tax dollars. Please investigate although another rumor has it that you cannot tape their conversations without giving prior notice. But you could ring the number and make an inquiry like we do.

6) Give us the target date for clearing the backlog in Guangzhou.

We hope that a new day has dawned at Consulate Affairs. We wish you

luck.

Signed:

Copy: Secretary of State Colin Powell

One of the solutions is obvious, but perhaps its makes to much sense. Have Guangzhou pass out the cleared names and packets to the closest U.S. consulate...we have several and they all have a visa section. I know that Guangzhou is the only one to handle immigration visas, but these visas have already been approved (interviews) so utilize the resources at the other consulates to get the visas passed out.

Skibum,

Great letter, but way to long. I dont want to discurage you in any way from writting.

But at this point in the mess a shorter and more direct list of questions is what I think we all need now.

The other countries really dont concern most of us now.

I do like a few things like:

4) Is the delay in clearance of applicants interviewed in August due to improper handling by the DOS either at the Consulate or in DC

I would also add If so what is being done to correct this.

1) Have personnel from other Consulates in China help Guangzhou get through the back log.

or, what is being done to expodite the backlog.

3) Post more information on the Consulate web site. This will actually save time because there would be fewer e-mails and phone calls that they would have to deal with.

Is there a plan to post info on a web site, if not why? plus some of your words.

6) Give us the target date for clearing the backlog in Guangzhou.

this is a great question, no wiggle room here.

We need to leave no room for them to wiggle with an answer like we're working hard, I want them to tell us and discribe what that consists of.

I do this kind of thing for a living and I found that very direct questions usually gets dorect answers.

Guest seafloor06

"6) Give us the target date for clearing the backlog in Guangzhou.

this is a great question, no wiggle room here."

I realize many are frustrated, but I recommend against using imperatives or demands to get answers. To say "What is the target date for clearing the backlog of visas awaiting in Guangzhou?" requests the same information. If we approach them rudely, they are less likely to be responsive to us.

Guest seafloor06
Seafood,

Well, I've been working on the tech side and trying to figure out a way we can create photo albums for this site and others. 

Yep, me too, need a break today, off to watch NFL games also.  So, you have a favorite team? 

P.J.

PJ

I'm a Vikings fan. It's been a good day.

Seafood :D

Seafood,

Well, I've been working on the tech side and trying to figure out a way we can create photo albums for this site and others.  

Yep, me too, need a break today, off to watch NFL games also.  So, you have a favorite team?  

P.J.

PJ

I'm a Vikings fan. It's been a good day.

Seafood :D

Bummer

http://www.gifs.net/animate/viking.gif

"6) Give us the target date for clearing the backlog in Guangzhou.

this is a great question, no wiggle room here."

I realize many are frustrated, but I recommend against using imperatives or demands to get answers.  To say "What is the target date for clearing the backlog of visas awaiting in Guangzhou?"  requests the same information.  If we approach them rudely, they are less likely to be responsive to us.

Correct,

This is why im not polishing this up.

I can help with the questiong and the wiggle room.