Another letter to Powell and Harty

Last night and on waking this morning the letter has been molding and shaping itself for me. It will be more strongly worded this time and more clearly express our expectations. Their initial response did have some content, mainly Maura Harty's own statement of concern, but was nil on specifics. It was not a form letter response but there was an element of attempting to put us off. WE will not be turned aside so easily.

- Robert

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest seafloor06

Good Morning all

Thanks Don H for the informative reply.

I was thinking about the format of the letter last night. Do we agree on the purpose(s) of the letter? What is the response that we would like to elicit. That should drive how the letter is shaped.

Having said that, if one of the objectives is to get answers to particular questions, then I believe that questions should be listed and numbered. While it may not be an appealing style for a novel or love letter, it is appropriate and effective when dealing with a government agency. I work in the pharmaceutical industry and most of the communication regarding important issues between the company and the FDA is driven by focused, listed and enumerated questions and answers. A question has a higher likehood of being addressed if it stands out than if it is buried within a paragraph.

Creating a list does not preclude expressing our thoughts in a way that is clear and eloquently.

I would suggest something like this: start with pleasant, gracious and thoughtful introduction ("prose" style). In the introduction, note that there we are concerned about the perceived lack of resources (and other concerns) and that it would be helpful to many of the concerned to know the answers to a number of question (i.e. in some way, make it know that questions are about to be asked and that answers would be greatly appreciated, with language that is friendly not forceful). Present the questions. Finally, reiterate concerns and express optimism and gratitude about receiving a response. Something like this.

I'm off to watch NFL games. Check back with you tonight.

I'm not a diver :ph34r: I admire those of you who are.

Good Morning all

Thanks Don H for the informative reply.

I was thinking about the format of the letter last night.  Do we agree on the purpose(s) of the letter?  What is the response that we would like to elicit.  That should drive how the letter is shaped. 

Having said that, if one of the objectives is to get answers to particular questions, then I believe that questions should be listed and numbered.  While it may not be an appealing style for a novel or love letter, it is appropriate and effective when dealing with a government agency. I work in the pharmaceutical industry and most of the communication regarding important issues between the company and the FDA is driven by focused, listed and enumerated questions and answers.  A question has a higher likehood of being addressed if it stands out than if it is buried within a paragraph.

Creating a list does not preclude expressing our thoughts in a way that is clear and eloquently.   

I would suggest something like this:  start with pleasant, gracious and thoughtful introduction ("prose" style).  In the introduction, note that there we are concerned about the perceived lack of resources (and other concerns) and that it would be helpful to many of the concerned to know the answers to a number of question (i.e.  in some way, make it know that questions are about to be asked and that answers would be greatly appreciated, with language that is friendly not forceful).  Present the questions.  Finally, reiterate concerns and express optimism and gratitude about receiving a response. Something like this.

I'm off to watch NFL games.  Check back with you tonight.

I'm not a diver :ph34r:  I admire those of you who are.

I agree 100%

Guest seafloor06

James

"Seafood will compile a list of everyone's ideas and send the list to Robert who will then write it up in a good prose context like he did with the first letter. Give them your ideas. All are valuable"

Who is seafood?

:ph34r:

Guest Victoria

Jeez, guys, I've been through almost 8 hours without electricity, then my DSL was down until 1 am last night...and now you've all written me off??? Come on, Robert! I never said I was out of here! I'm taking a plane to China in 10 days, yes, but I'm with you guys all the way and am still mad as hell! The nonsense continues, and I'm not going to let them get away with it! Plus, don't forget, we're waiting for "the letter" which is IN THE MAIL. We all know how certain that is...

So let me know how I can help. I think seafloor and Robert have got the letter well in hand, I don't care about prose vs. numbered list, I agree you've got to put some "sugar" in there to soften our "hard demands". So I have the list, and I have a list of 60 people who gave their approval for the previous Powell letter (4 of them were too late to get on it). Perhaps a general announcement on the various boards, calling for those who DO NOT want to be included, would suffice? Then whoever we DON'T hear from goes on the new letter...?

If you want, I also will do the faxing first thing Monday morning, with a cover letter as before containing the "reply to" information. Perhaps replying to Robert again would be best, as they already did it once. Avoids confusion, which they already have aplenty.

I am most definitely not "out of here".

Victoria

Here is my little bit of negativity.

If you ask for case by case info, you will never get a reply.

You need to ask if resourses from other consulates can be used by GZ.

You need to ask if the story about the computer being shut down and the applicants having to come back another day is true. Point out the additional cost involved in second and third trips to GZ as well as canceled reservations to US. Point out that this does not look like this is being given priority if this story is true.

You need to ask how Yao Ming and his parents were able to get visas so quickly.

You should ask if it is true that there was something wrong with the way the August clearances were sent to DOS and they had to be redone.

I will bet that we do not get a second reply no matter how it is worded.

All I can think of right now.

Jeez, guys, I've been through almost 8 hours without electricity, then my DSL was down until 1 am last night...and now you've all written me off??? Come on, Robert! I never said I was out of here! I'm taking a plane to China in 10 days, yes, but I'm with you guys all the way and am still mad as hell! The nonsense continues, and I'm not going to let them get away with it! Plus, don't forget, we're waiting for "the letter" which is IN THE MAIL. We all know how certain that is...

So let me know how I can help. I think seafloor and Robert have got the letter well in hand, I don't care about prose vs. numbered list, I agree you've got to put some "sugar" in there to soften our "hard demands". So I have the list, and I have a list of 60 people who gave their approval for the previous Powell letter (4 of them were too late to get on it). Perhaps a general announcement on the various boards, calling for those who DO NOT want to be included, would suffice? Then whoever we DON'T hear from goes on the new letter...?

If you want, I also will do the faxing first thing Monday morning, with a cover letter as before containing the "reply to" information. Perhaps replying to Robert again would be best, as they already did it once.  Avoids confusion, which they already have aplenty.

I am most definitely not "out of here".

Victoria

Hi Victoria,

Good to see you back, sorry about your electricity, mine was out for 5 days last week, I feel your pain there.

Your help is more than welcome.

Now lets get this letter done tonight!

I have already given my contribution, just a foundation though.