What should she bring?

I've been reading all of the shipping to USA posts to get ready for bringing my gal and her daughter to the USA.

BUT that is not my question. I have told my gal to be certain that she brings her most precious possessions...pictures, books, jewelry and so forth.

HOWEVER...you guys probably told your gals the same thing. So my question is:

What didn't your gal bring that she wishes she had?

What didn't the child bring that the child wishes they had?

When I looked at Xiaoyuan's storage room and apartment - I won't need a container to get it here.....

I'll need a fricken freighter! :lol: :o :lol: B) :P :P

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I note you are in Montana. I can't imagine where the closest Asian Market is, around you, so I make strong suggestion for COOKING SPICES.

I know this will also sound weird, but suggest BRAS as well - the bra designers here really weren't thinking about your wife when they designed them (there are exceptions, of course).

Stuff to hang on the wall (but can get in USA Asian Markets too).

The Child's Video Games and Player.

Thats it for now, I'll add more when my brain kicks in again.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Clothes. Jeans, blue jeans and blouses. My wife does not like choosing children's styles and "most" American sizes, even xs, are too big, too long, or too much whatever. Shoes too if your wife is size 5 or smaller. We rarely find a pair of 5's anywhere around us. On the other hand, a petite 25 something year old living near us loves shopping, buying and wearing modern west styles. In fact, she now has a job in a big department store.

If your wife needs glasses get them in China.

Her favorite medicine. Western medicine and western doctors will likely leave her unhappy. We mailed our medicine here. Only real restriction we ran into was with ground up herbal based stuff in clear bags. They needed some kind of certification.

My wife really misses the hot pot cooker and divided pot! Most electric, portable cook tops we've found don't have enough KW to do the job.

And, very important, bring your own DVD Karaoke player, complete with mics, already loaded with songs. Make sure it is 110-230 VAC or, it has a switch to select the proper voltage. Bring some karaoke dvds anyway.

When Susan got here it looked to me like she brought everything she owned ... but now i am finding out what she didn't bring and what we can't find here so far

#1 Spices , the asin market near us is " just ok " when it comes to having what she wants .. but it has spices for so many different places that it's hard to carry everything " ie Korea, Japan, india " and so on.

#2 Clothes: Susan is small and says " clothes to much here " Understand .. she shipped 3 large boxes and carried 2 ( overwieght ) suitcases and tells me there is more on the way .. and include shoes in that ... she don't like the shoes here B)

#3 Decorations for the home, she has pretty much removed my old stuff and put in all new " beautiful " stuff Guess she didn't like my silk painting of the dogs playing pool :D

and remember ... she WILL forget something ... and she won't be able to buy it here ... so plan on going back to china in a year or so with at least one empty suitcase :happybday:

Now if only i can convince here that we DON'T have to buy vegetables in China to bring here we'll be ok :cheering:

I suggest you find friends in LA or Houston with large Chinatown population for large Chinatown store shopping - cause she's gonna want :

1. super-high-sucking-rate air-vent for over the stove top (yes, kitchen rework required)

2. gas stove top with round/ringed inserts designed for WOK (yes, kitchen rework required)

3. The 3 litre thermos designed to hold hot water. These don't travel well across the pond in luggage.

more items as I can remember, good luck !

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

I would agree with clothes.......bras were already mentioned and they're a good idea. Jie has found very limited selections of size 0 and 2 pants, so a good supply of pants are another great idea. There were some Chinese skin medicine and creams that she liked and brought with her. As for shoes, she brought a few pairs she liked, but she has been happy with what she has found in the US.

I'd say the bulk of what she brought over were clothes.

Thank you for all of the suggestions and keep 'em coming.

I would never have thought that getting shoes or bras would be difficult...much less blue jeans.

...and what about the suggestion of getting glasses in China...is that because of frame sizes?

Clothes. Jeans, blue jeans and blouses. My wife does not like choosing children's styles and "most" American sizes, even xs, are too big, too long, or too much whatever. Shoes too if your wife is size 5 or smaller. We rarely find a pair of 5's anywhere around us. On the other hand, a petite 25 something year old living near us loves shopping, buying and wearing modern west styles. In fact, she now has a job in a big department store.

And, very important, bring your own DVD Karaoke player, complete with mics, already loaded with songs. Make sure it is 110-230 VAC or, it has a switch to select the proper voltage. Bring some karaoke dvds anyway.

Yep karaoke DVDs are good, we bought some the last time we went up to Toronto.

My Yu has no problem with clothing sizes, she stands at 5'10" so western medium sizes fit fine, in fact I sometimes catch her wearing my cloths, I too am 5'10". :lol:

My Yu has no problem with clothing sizes, she stands at 5'10" so western medium sizes fit fine, in fact I sometimes catch her wearing my cloths, I too am 5'10". :lol:

My wife is 4 inches shorter than me but she still likes wearing my clothes. :lol:

Guest Rob & Jin

My wife is 4 inches shorter than me but she still likes wearing my clothes. :lol:

Kinky.... very kinky ^_^ :eyebrow:

My Yu has no problem with clothing sizes, she stands at 5'10" so western medium sizes fit fine, in fact I sometimes catch her wearing my cloths, I too am 5'10". :whistling:

Is there a basketball coach crying back in Yu's hometown ? That's REALLY TALL... wa wa wa

My Yu has no problem with clothing sizes, she stands at 5'10" so western medium sizes fit fine, in fact I sometimes catch her wearing my cloths, I too am 5'10". :whistling:

Yes we have looked at this list also!! :smartass:

Clothes, yes, she will only wear junior sizes here, pictures, things that help keep her in touch with home, and etc.

How many DVD"s did you get to bring here?? :P

My Yu has no problem with clothing sizes, she stands at 5'10" so western medium sizes fit fine, in fact I sometimes catch her wearing my cloths, I too am 5'10". :huh:

Is there a basketball coach crying back in Yu's hometown ? That's REALLY TALL... wa wa wa

Yu is from Northern China, but lived most her life in Guilin, but yes her hight did give her problems growing up, for example: when her mother would travel to see family up north, Yu would have to stay home in Guilin due to the rail-road wanting full adult fare for her, they used a person's size to determine child from adult.