To file or not to file before second trip?

Hello, all. I wonder if there is a clear cut answer or more of general feeling on this one - either one I would love to know what members think.

Now my sweetheart and I only have one wonderful visit to our credit. In another 6 weeks we will have 2 visits to our credit. So, when to file for our K1? -seeing as how we would rather file now instead of wait another 6 weeks which adds to the overall timeline. Making this next trip sooner is not an option.

If you are inclined to offer relationship advice on this one, since it does sort of beg the question :-) I will gladly listen to it, but, I am really only interested in the impact on our Visa at this time.

Thanks so much.

-Jhammer

Hello, all. I wonder if there is a clear cut answer or more of general feeling on this one - either one I would love to know what members think.

Now my sweetheart and I only have one wonderful visit to our credit. In another 6 weeks we will have 2 visits to our credit. So, when to file for our K1? -seeing as how we would rather file now instead of wait another 6 weeks which adds to the overall timeline. Making this next trip sooner is not an option.

If you are inclined to offer relationship advice on this one, since it does sort of beg the question :-) I will gladly listen to it, but, I am really only interested in the impact on our Visa at this time.

Thanks so much.

-Jhammer

I filed after the first trip. Things went okay, except for her name check. Many problems there, but those were not due to us filing after the first trip.

Thanks so much.

-Jhammer

My thoughts are I don't think it will mater if you file now. They will ask at the interview how many times you have visited her. Also Don has great wealth of knowledge on this and he said it didn't effect his filing, but please note that there is always the chance it could depending on the VO your fiancee gets for the interview with.

Thanks so much.

-Jhammer

My thoughts are I don't think it will mater if you file now. They will ask at the interview how many times you have visited her. Also Don has great wealth of knowledge on this and he said it didn't effect his filing, but please note that there is always the chance it could depending on the VO your fiancee gets for the interview with.

I agree, as long as you have met at least once and continue to meet it should not be a problem. Just keep visiting even after you next visit. 3 or more should be okay, but again it is up to the VO.

The legal requirement is that you have met at least once in person. Subsequent trips do show more proof of relationship. I would file now and document your future trips for the interview. If I had to guess at an average I would say that most of us make 3 trips. One to meet, another in between and the third for the interview. Those with more disposable income and vacation time take more.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

provided you have all the necesary documentation for filing without having to worry about rfe's, i would say, the sooner you file the better....waiting is a b*tch...the sooner you file, the sooner she will be here

I agree completely. I filed after first visit. Second visit was for interview which allowed me to be there to support my gal and give her my passport to hand to VO. All went very well.

The legal requirement is that you have met at least once in person. Subsequent trips do show more proof of relationship. I would file now and document your future trips for the interview. If I had to guess at an average I would say that most of us make 3 trips. One to meet, another in between and the third for the interview. Those with more disposable income and vacation time take more.

This is exactly our experience. I filed after the first trip and we had no problems. Go for it! :lol:

This is exactly our experience. I filed after the first trip and we had no problems. Go for it! :lol:

I made three trips as many have mentioned, but filed after the first one!! :lol:

Things will come up and it is a long wait for sure!! :o

Plus after you get all the paper work out of the way, your next trip will be more relaxing, seeing how all the legal stuff will be out of the way!! B) :P

We only had one visit before filing the K-1, and then 2nd visit was for spring festival last year which coincided with the K-1 visa interview.

So file it now, and visit, later for interview provide evidence of additional visits.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

We also filed after the first trip. Everything goes well. Follow your heart and file if your heart tells you to do so. Good lucks.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

jhammer follow your heart and get going!!! :cheering:

Gino you were ready to file before your first trip, like me! :D :happybday: B) :cheering:

We also filed after the first trip. Everything goes well. Follow your heart and file if your heart tells you to do so. Good lucks.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

jhammer follow your heart and get going!!! :roller:

Gino you were ready to file before your first trip, like me! :D :happybday: B) :cheering:

Yeah. Mark.... I filed K1 when I saw her pictures.... and I filed AOS when I saw her in person :cheering: