Filed for citizenship today

I sent off my wife's application for naturalized citizenship today. I read recently that due to a huge backlog that they are taking 16-18 months now. I know we have time but my stepson isn't getting any younger either. As it is it will take about 3-4 years to get him over here if she were a US citizen. Much longer as a permanent resident. I have heard that she could file an I-130 for him now and then update it when she is a US citizen.

I have heard that she could file an I-130 for him now and then update it when she is a US citizen.

Correct. Do it now and get him in the system.

Yes - the clock ticks from the time the I-130 is filed - no updating is supposed to be necessary, but I'm not sure how you can make sure that his preference category changes to the som of an American citizen.

Another thing that changes - there is no category for married son (over 21) of LPR, but there is for the married son of an American citizen.

Good luck to you Carl. I hope it is speedy for you. If I might ask, how deep did they get into your pockets for this? :(

$675.00 for the fee and biometrics. What is it with these guys and biometrics anyway? Do they expect her fingerprints and retina scan to change from a year ago last time they did it? I swear the USCIS must be part of the dept of redundancy dept.

$675.00 for the fee and biometrics. What is it with these guys and biometrics anyway? Do they expect her fingerprints and retina scan to change from a year ago last time they did it? I swear the USCIS must be part of the dept of redundancy dept.

Department of Income, I think.

Department of Income, I think.

Red tape must be a lucrative business.