Shocking day for this person

dont see anywhere than anyone is suggesting that she be accountable for how her life has unfolded or for what happened 24 years ago or the illegal actions of her parents.

I do agree though, she is an adult and must be accountable and fully responsible for using a fake/stolen/fraudulent SS#, evading taxes, lying to other people who trusted her, and for not making any attempts to rectify her illegal status.

Yes, we can understand why she has done these things, but on the other hand, we've all got our own difficulties dealt to us that are not in our control. But arent we all required to respond within the limits of the law? If she wants to live and work here, she also must live according to the law, no different from any of us or our wives.

Bottom line: while she is not responsible for what happened 24 years ago, she is responsible for her actions today. She should do the right thing: as suggested, hire a good attorney and coming clean with the USCIS.

I guess I would argue that she is accountable for the past 5.5 to 6 years of her life, after she became a legal adult. The problem is that for the previous 18 years, from birth to legal adult status, the die had already been cast for her; by those she looked to for guidance and example......

Maybe, I am getting more liberal as I age, and things are less black and white, and I can see more shades of gray ????? :) :D

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rob & Jin

umm maybe the focus should be on her parents who got her a fake ss#, are they legal ? I guess not or they would not have to have got a fake ss#

I think she was put into a position of flying under the radar, I say prosecute and and imprison/ deport the parents, they started this. :)

Sorry dont have much time for sob stories of 2nd generation illegals.

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)

This a sad case but if she takes care of the illegal part the taxes are next!!

The election that will be happening soon will be decided by:

1. $$ the economy stinks!

2. The war of course.

3. The candidates stand on immigration, get ready it will be ugly!!

I'm not an attorney, and I've never played one on TV....but I get the feeling that this lady is not going to get out of this. Somehow, someway, the system is going to eat her alive...sometimes, discretion is just knowing when it is the right time to haul ass!

Her answer to this may very well up and leave in the middle of the night to start some where else in this big country of ours. I'm sure that to some extent she has known that this will happen. I don't know how long she has worked at this company that found out she has a bad SS#.

The only thing you didn't say is which nationality she is.

At first, I assumed "Chinese" because this is CFL.

But maybe she's not...?

My opinion:

We are lenient toward Europeans...maybe because of the original European immigration experience?

We are lenient towards Mexicans (which is where I get my opinion that deportation rarely happens) because the special interests of one party like cheap labor and not having to pay health insurance, and the other party likes fraudulent voters (which illegal Mexican aliens do quite well) and the large legal voting block of Latinos tends to vote for politicians who (mistakenly or not), tend to express their gratitude by protecting illegal Mexican aliens.

Unfortunately, it seems it is impossible to hope that all people get treated equally, regardless of race, so if she isn't of one of the "protected" illegal aliens, she could get deported.

Or not. Who knows, right now? The immigration situation is in flux, due to demand from the populace and complete indifference of the politicians and other elites.

One thing is sure: if she has to pay back taxes and the like, it will seem onerous, but it will pretty much just be catching up on what the rest of us have been paying all along. Real life ain't easy.

umm maybe the focus should be on her parents who got her a fake ss#, are they legal ? I guess not or they would not have to have got a fake ss#

I think she was put into a position of flying under the radar, I say prosecute and and imprison/ deport the parents, they started this. :P

Sorry dont have much time for sob stories of 2nd generation illegals.

Rite on! What is the status of Mom And Dad?

Maybe, I am getting more liberal as I age, and things are less black and white, and I can see more shades of gray ????? :happybday: :happybday:

I almost fell out of my chair, Roger, when you described yourself as a conservative early in this thread. :P

Yeh¡®, but since I met Lao Po, I¡¯ve loosened up a little¡­¡­I¡¯m only 6 clicks to the right of center now. :)

Yeh¡®, but since I met Lao Po, I¡¯ve loosened up a little¡­¡­I¡¯m only 6 clicks to the right of center now. :)

At 25 meters that could still be on target, but at 600 meters, then it's a clean miss. Better keep it at 10 meters for the familys sake, we don't ever want to read about you having got sidetracked in the papers or news reports. Stay safe, keep your nose into the wind, and never develope tunnel vision. :P

While she may not have filed taxes, I'm sure her employers were deducting them.

To me this is the crux of the matter. Did she not file because she knew she wasn't legit, or because she didn't owe? If it's the first, then send her packing. If it's the second, on this matter I'd give her the benifit of the doubt.

But still.... unless the deductions were spot on, she would either owe, or be owed a refund.

If she knew she wasn't legit, why didn't she take care of it with in the last six years? It's not like forgetting to take out the trash! It's her whole life in the balance of playing a stupid game with her citizenship.

So, while I am sympathetic to anyone trying to gain lawful entry/citizenship into any country, I just can't see how she allowed herself to get into this predicament.

I would hate to see the situation that Larry mentioned about having her child taken away(which is a really stupid idea! ) if she is deported.

To me this is the crux of the matter. Did she not file because she knew she wasn't legit, or because she didn't owe? If it's the first, then send her packing. If it's the second, on this matter I'd give her the benifit of the doubt.

But still.... unless the deductions were spot on, she would either owe, or be owed a refund.

If she knew she wasn't legit, why didn't she take care of it with in the last six years? It's not like forgetting to take out the trash! It's her whole life in the balance of playing a stupid game with her citizenship.

So, while I am sympathetic to anyone trying to gain lawful entry/citizenship into any country, I just can't see how she allowed herself to get into this predicament.

I would hate to see the situation that Larry mentioned about having her child taken away(which is a really stupid idea! ) if she is deported.

Who said our government does the right thing alway or should I say the logical thing. :lol:

I can make a guess why she never tried to fix it. This is how I see it she was told if you go to the US government they will send you back to x-country without passing go and no chance of seeing your child again. Being a mother she was scared s@#tless. Does it make it right no she did what she felt she had to do. That is take care of her child. :D

The IRS has had SSN checks in place since 1996 (IIRC). So if she filed her return, it would be red flagged. NOT FILING the return suggests to me she knew about the problem all along, had good advice from those who knew about it.

This is truly both a saddening and maddening situation.

Sad, because this girl was put into this situation by her parents. By no choice of her own, she unintentionally had broken immigration laws simply because she had an 18th birthday.

Also because this girl is somewhat guilty of the same 'crime' her parents committed: bringing an innocent child into an illegal situation that could have negative consequences for the child. Yes, the child is a citizen, but what kind of life did she expect her child to have with her living here illegally?

On the other hand, it is maddening for those same reasons. She has been an adult and did have 6 years to come clean. Instead of attempting to come clean, she has kept herself under the radar.

And illegal immigration is not just about one person.......it affects everyone either directly or indirectly. There are national security issues, use of public benefits, more crime, and illegal SS#'s that could adversely affect the unsuspecting owner. And what if she decides to marry solely to try and become legal, rather than for love. Is there a potential unsuspecting victim out there?

So, I am not sure what to think about this. However, coming or staying here under the radar is a choice made by the individual, and thus, they are ultimately responsible for themselves and the consequences.

Sad, because this girl was put into this situation by her parents. By no choice of her own, she unintentionally had broken immigration laws simply because she had an 18th birthday.

Also because this girl is somewhat guilty of the same 'crime' her parents committed: bringing an innocent child into an illegal situation that could have negative consequences for the child. Yes, the child is a citizen, but what kind of life did she expect her child to have with her living here illegally?

On the other hand, it is maddening for those same reasons. She has been an adult and did have 6 years to come clean. Instead of attempting to come clean, she has kept herself under the radar.

And illegal immigration is not just about one person.......it affects everyone either directly or indirectly. There are national security issues, use of public benefits, more crime, and illegal SS#'s that could adversely affect the unsuspecting owner. And what if she decides to marry solely to try and become legal, rather than for love. Is there a potential unsuspecting victim out there?

So, I am not sure what to think about this. However, coming or staying here under the radar is a choice made by the individual, and thus, they are ultimately responsible for themselves and the consequences.

Ken,

I think this (above) is a very fair and measured assessment of this situation. ;)

It is my hope that from this point on, she makes some intelligent choices and gets some legal advice, with respect to her (legal) options, in this regard.

Ken,

I think this (above) is a very fair and measured assessment of this situation. ;)

It is my hope that from this point on, she makes some intelligent choices and gets some legal advice, with respect to her (legal) options, in this regard.

I do agree, especially for the sake of her child. She needs to find a really good immigration attorney and an understanding and compassionate IO.