Shocking day for this person

This happened yesterday at one of my units. A female employee was flagged by Corporate as having a Social Security number as unassigned or stolen. Come to find out that this person came here illegally 24 years ago when she was 2 months old. She's had a baby, went to public schools and does just about everything in everyday life that a U. S. citizen can do. Not married, has no drivers license and has never filed taxes.

I told her she has 30 days to comply with the Corporate request to provide qualifying information or she will be terminated.

This girl has lived here all her life mostly. Her parents provided her with all the documents to get by. (forged or whatever) She has an American born child. I advised her to contact USCIS but she's afraid to uncover that stone.

What should she do in your opinion?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This happened yesterday at one of my units. A female employee was flagged by Corporate as having a Social Security number as unassigned or stolen. Come to find out that this person came here illegally 24 years ago when she was 2 months old. She's had a baby, went to public schools and does just about everything in everyday life that a U. S. citizen can do. Not married, has no drivers license and has never filed taxes.

I told her she has 30 days to comply with the Corporate request to provide qualifying information or she will be terminated.

This girl has lived here all her life mostly. Her parents provided her with all the documents to get by. (forged or whatever) She has an American born child. I advised her to contact USCIS but she's afraid to uncover that stone.

Get a good lawyer to advise

Edited by lostinblue (see edit history)

Why would it be a shock ? She knew about it prior to coming to work for your company, and committed fraud by using that SSN. Your company is abiding by the laws and giving her a 30 day window to rectify her situation. The law allows your company to do this. She cannot claim ignorance, she knew about it all along. I'm happy to see my tax dollars at work in her case.

If she married a U.S.A. citizen, she might have a stronger 'case' to remain in the U.S.A. I'm sorry, but I cannot feel any sympathy for her whatsoever.

Why would it be a shock ? She knew about it prior to coming to work for your company, and committed fraud by using that SSN. Your company is abiding by the laws and giving her a 30 day window to rectify her situation. The law allows your company to do this. She cannot claim ignorance, she knew about it all along. I'm happy to see my tax dollars at work in her case.

If she married a U.S.A. citizen, she might have a stronger 'case' to remain in the U.S.A. I'm sorry, but I cannot feel any sympathy for her whatsoever.

Darnell,

Let me understand this ?? This woman who was brought here illegally, when she was an infant, age 2 months, and now is still just a very young adult, age 24, is to be held [totally] accountable for how her life has unfolded, due to the initial illegal actions of her parents, some 24 years ago.

Yes, I do understand that her entire life and situation is outside of US law; however, put yourself in her situation/shoes. What would you have done if you were raised since an infant under these circumstances. Was she, on the day she turned age 18, supposed to go down to the local USCIS office and turn herself in and request to be deported ??

Having been dealt these cards at such a young age and having become so accustomed to life in the USA, it may never have really ‘clicked’ in her brain, the totality of what real and what was not. Who knows, the SSN may have been provided to her by her parents ?? Not everyone is as sophisticated/educated in these matters, as many here on this board are.

I have been a policeman for over 33 years and politically I am conservative; however, I can still fell some empathy and sympathy for this young woman’s unfortunate situation.

I have learned a long time ago, to not be so [judgmental] of others who through no design of their own, encounter misfortune; because what goes around, can suddenly and as easily come around.

I thank God daily for my blessed life. My heart always goes out to those who are not as fortunate, and have to endure such pain in their life which may have been percipitated by others. I am not, in any way defending illegal immigration; there are however, some individual cases wherein one can feel compassion.

Of course, this is all only my opinion. :rolleyes:

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Yes - the only thing USCIS could do is to initiate deportation proceedings, which would call for a lawyer anyway. Get one now.

I am with you there.

She did know her status, "Not filing taxes" is a dead giveaway.

This is one of those case where you can both feel sorry for the person and also say she knew what she was doing. Yes by the time she was age 24 she knew full well that she was skating under the radar of the law. But she was also dealt this lot in life when she was just a baby. To be sent back now to her country of origin would be like most of us trying to live in China with no one to help us communicate. In some ways what could she do and she also has a child here in the states that is a US citizen being born here.

This is not one of those black and white cases, but that is how the US government will look at it.

Courts are reluctant to enforce deportation under most circumstances, even when the illegal committed a violent crime. Here, she merely failed to rectify her illegal status.

But I think the key here is that she has an American-born child. They can't deport the American-citizen child, and are extremely reluctant to deport the mother and create a hardship for an American citizen (the child).

On the other hand, the penalties she will likely have to pay to rectify her illegal status will likely be pretty hefty.

Courts are reluctant to enforce deportation under most circumstances, even when the illegal committed a violent crime. Here, she merely failed to rectify her illegal status.

But I think the key here is that she has an American-born child. They can't deport the American-citizen child, and are extremely reluctant to deport the mother and create a hardship for an American citizen (the child).

On the other hand, the penalties she will likely have to pay to rectify her illegal status will likely be pretty hefty.

She may find a sympathetic judge to let her stay, but if she has any relatives here that are here legally, then the courts will usually find that the US born child can stay with them while they deport Mom. Beyond that, the IRS is going to swoop down on her for back taxes, penalties, and interest as well as whatever state she is in. Even if she gets to stay, the debt load she is about to have won't make it worthwhile to stay. Unless she can make a deal with the IRS, her wages will be attached, her credit will be shot until 7 years after she pays off the IRS. I feel very sorry for this young woman. Her parents went out of their way to make sure that she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't...she will need a very, very good attorney.

Larry, I think your assessment is very astute.

Hopefully, she can find an attorney, who can wrap this, all in one, for her; a deal with the USCIS and also the IRS, given the totality of the circumstances. Which really were thrust upon her, by her parents, shortly after her birth.

Let me understand this ?? This woman who was brought here illegally, when she was an infant, age 2 months, and now is still just a very young adult, age 24, is to be held [totally] accountable for how her life has unfolded, due to the initial illegal actions of her parents, some 24 years ago.

I dont see anywhere than anyone is suggesting that she be accountable for how her life has unfolded or for what happened 24 years ago or the illegal actions of her parents.

I do agree though, she is an adult and must be accountable and fully responsible for using a fake/stolen/fraudulent SS#, evading taxes, lying to other people who trusted her, and for not making any attempts to rectify her illegal status.

Yes, we can understand why she has done these things, but on the other hand, we've all got our own difficulties dealt to us that are not in our control. But arent we all required to respond within the limits of the law? If she wants to live and work here, she also must live according to the law, no different from any of us or our wives.

Bottom line: while she is not responsible for what happened 24 years ago, she is responsible for her actions today. She should do the right thing: as suggested, hire a good attorney and coming clean with the USCIS.

I was told by a lawyer friend of mine today that this woman has a long road to travel in acquiring legal status. I just feel a bit sympathtic towards her because of the lies her parents have continued to spin. I don't think she knew the real truth because she's lived this way since birth basically. Living and working here, going to school and trying to better yourself weighs in somehow. Just think of all the illegals that come across the border for work and then take the money back to Mexico. That, in my opinion, is the difference.

My position is the same however, the law is the law and it pertains to everyone.

My company gives everyone in this position 30 days to fix which is more than fair.

This a sad case but if she takes care of the illegal part the taxes are next!!

The election that will be happening soon will be decided by:

1. $$ the economy stinks!

2. The war of course.

3. The candidates stand on immigration, get ready it will be ugly!!