Marriage in China

Ok, I know there is a pinned thread on this very subject, but I'm still confused.

Here is what I understand or at least what I think I understand.

Papers needed.

1. Single Status paper

2. Divorce Decree (The page that states I'm divorced)

3. Birth Certificate??? not sure about this one.

4. Police Report??? not sure about this one.

5. Passport

Ok, now comes the part I get confused about.

The single status and divorce decree need to be notarized. Are these notarized copies? Also for the divorce decree should I go get one that is just the page that states I'm divorced.

Here are the steps I see that need to happen.

1. Get notarized, Single Status and Divorce Decree.

2. Go to Secretary of the State and get documents certified.

3. Send Notarized and certified documents to the Chinese Consulate in Chicago (because I live in Michigan) to be certified again.

What have I over looked, what have I got wrong? I don't want to get to China and find that I have forgotten some small item and have the whole thing derailed. :unsure:

Ok, I know there is a pinned thread on this very subject, but I'm still confused.

Here is what I understand or at least what I think I understand.

What have I over looked, what have I got wrong? I don't want to get to China and find that I have forgotten some small item and have the whole thing derailed. :unsure:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Corbin,

I understand how this can be somewhat confusing, as there are multiple levels to deal with herein !! :o

I just went through all of this in late 2005.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Papers needed.

1. Single Status paper---- Yes, this is the important document; the Affidavit of Single Status. Also, the downloadable PRC Form G-1 for application.

2. Divorce Decree (The page that states I'm divorced) Yes, you do not need all the settlement details, just the page with the names, date and judges signature. Certified copy from the court.

3. Birth Certificate??? not sure about this one.----No, not needed.

4. Police Report??? not sure about this one.---No, not needed.

5. Passport-----Yes, photo copy of the document.

Ok, now comes the part I get confused about.

The single status and divorce decree need to be notarized. Are these notarized copies? The Affidavit of Single Status, that you produce, is in effect, an original. (see sample below) This is the most important doc to be notarized. I essence, you are swearing under penalty of perjury, that you are in fact single and free to marry.

Also for the divorce decree should I go get one that is just the page that states I'm divorced.----Yes.

Here are the steps I see that need to happen.

1. Get notarized, Single Status and Divorce Decree. Yes.

2. Go to Secretary of the State and get documents certified. Yes.

In California (for example) the Sec of State is who licenses the Notary Publics in the state. So they are in essence, certifying the Notary signature and term are valid, and not forgeries.

3. Send Notarized and certified documents to the Chinese Consulate in Chicago (because I live in Michigan) to be certified again. Yes, they will review the Docs, enter the data into their computer, and then issue you a Chinese language certificate, which you will take with you to China and give to the local civil marriage authority.

Here is the sample language for the Affidavit of Single Status, as well as other info from the PRC Consulate office:

Marriage Registration in China

The applicant who will go to China for marriage registration shall apply for a single/non-marital status certificate. Legal marriage age in China is 22 or older for male and 20 or older for female.

Procedure for obtaining a single/non-marital status certificate

(1).Affidavit of Single Status, signed before a notary public.

(2).Certified by the Secretary of the State Office of the state where the document is executed.

*Some states require the notarized document to be sent to the notary public's county clerk for verification before presenting to the Office of Secretary of State. Please contact Secretary of State Office of the state where your document is executed for details.

(3). Certified by the relevant Consulate General .

You must apply to the correct Consulate General which holds consular jurisdiction over your area of residence.

You may come to the relevant Embassy or Consulate Generals for application, or send a representative to apply for you. No appointment is required. Mailed applications are also acceptable. Make sure you read the Mail Application Instructions.

Fees and processing time

The authentication fee of $20 is payable by Money Order, Cashier's Check, Company Check or Cash. Personal checks are not acceptable. Please make the check payable to Chinese Embassy or Chinese Consulate. For mail service, an additional 5 dollars PER PACKAGE for handling will be charged. Make sure you read Mail Application Instructions. The regular processing time is 4 working days. For express service, additional fees of $30 for 1 working day processing, or $20 for 2-3 working days processing will be charged.

Additional information

The divorced or the widowed shall have the divorce certificate or death certificate of the ex-spouse be certified/authenticated together with theAffidavit of Single Status.The divorced whose ex-spouse is a Chinese citizen, and who hold the divorce decree executed by the US court, shall apply to the Chinese court for the acknowledgement of the divorce decree.According to the Marriage Law of the People's Republic of China, the minimum marriageability age is 22 for men and 20 for women.

AFFIDAVIT OF SINGLE STATUS

On this date of_________________, I,(name of affiant),

residing at(street and number)(city)(state)(zip code)

BEING DULY SWORN DEPOSE AND SAY:

I was born on(date)at(city)(country)

I am a(country)citizen. My passport number is

I am a(current occupation). I am employed by(company name and address)

I am currently single, have never been married (or was divorced/widowed on(date)and have never been remarried since that date).

I have no direct blood tie or kinship within 3 generations with XXX(name of fiancee/fiance).

Signature of the Affiant: _______________________________

Name in Print:________________________________________

(For the Notary Public)

Subscribed and sworn to before me by(name of affiant)on this____day of ________________.

Bottom line: When you meet with the Civil Marriage Agent in your fiancee's city, you will present her with the Single Certificate and the certification from the PRC Consulate in the USA. Along with your original USA Passport.

They will not need to see the divorce decree. All they care about is the certification that you are free to marry.

Hope this helps !! Once you have that Chinese certificate in hand from your regional PRC Consulate, the rest is easy. :P

I am going to China late feb or ealy march to be married to my fiance.

So it sounds like I can send my divorce papers and G-1 statement of elgibility to the China consulate in Sanfrancisco and do it all before I go over? Right!Then go straight to her city and marry her.

My fiance is confused because I told her to meet me in Shenyang U.S. consulate whith her Id and passport. to get my certificate of marriage availability. Then go back to her city to marry.

It would seem easier to have all this done before I go?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Dennis

I got all my documents done by "visarite"(visarite.com)...it will cost you more this way of course,but they do all the leg work,notarized,consulate stamping....just need to send them divorce document(stating you are divorced,and when...etc...)and i think you will have to also send passport,or birth certificate,not sure...go online to their site,click on the "quick menu" button on top of there site,it will tell you.This way is simple and painless,but will cost you.

Jimi

I am going to China late feb or ealy march to be married to my fiance.

So it sounds like I can send my divorce papers and G-1 statement of elgibility to the China consulate in Sanfrancisco and do it all before I go over? Right!Then go straight to her city and marry her.

My fiance is confused because I told her to meet me in Shenyang U.S. consulate whith her Id and passport. to get my certificate of marriage availability. Then go back to her city to marry.

It would seem easier to have all this done before I go?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Dennis

Yes,i think it is better to have it done here in USA,more time to spend with your lady, rather than spending it in some goverment building,in China.Then you take the affidavit of single status papersThat are notarized and china consulate stamped,with your passport,her divorce papers,ID,to the marriage hall,get a photo taken,sign some papers,get your red book,then you two are married.I done it in september,simple and sweet.

Hi, I'm on this site in order to help my father out with the paperwork process. He is traveling to China in April to marry his Fiancee. When he sends his Singles Certificate to the Sec. of State, is there a cover letter that I need to include with that? Specifiying that it is for a marriage in China? The reason I ask is that we have had a lot of dealings with the Sec. of State when we adopted our son from Overseas 2 years ago, and we were required to specify what the documents would be used for. Thanks for your help.

Hi, I'm on this site in order to help my father out with the paperwork process. He is traveling to China in April to marry his Fiancee. When he sends his Singles Certificate to the Sec. of State, is there a cover letter that I need to include with that? Specifiying that it is for a marriage in China? The reason I ask is that we have had a lot of dealings with the Sec. of State when we adopted our son from Overseas 2 years ago, and we were required to specify what the documents would be used for. Thanks for your help.

It is good to mention that the purpose is for marriage in China. When I was at my SoS's office I mentioned to them it was for China and they said "ok we know what to do."

Yes The PRC form G-1 And Single status are the same.Just get it notarized locally, then to Secretary of state and then To Chinese consulate closest to you, Mine also is Chicago but i just drove there and done it.

Same as to Sec of state in Minnesota. Then no time in mail or lost mail.

Chicago is very quick and friendly.

If you mail in the application, yes it is best to include a cover letter.

Paul

Is the "PRC Form G-1" and the "Single Status" the same thing or do I need both of these? :lol:

Corbin,

No, they are not the same, and yes, you will need both. The Form G-1 is the 'application' form which contains all of your biographical info. It is downloadable from the Consulate website. I use the one in SF. Look under the 'Visas' tab and then click the marriage to Chinese Citizen tab.

The Affidavit of Single Status, a separate document, is also downloadable, it is merely a statement of fact, which affirms your single status. The statement is ready for you to fill in the blanks and print out for your notary public to notarize and sign.

Again, one is an actual form (G-1) and the other is the sample language for the affidavit.

Again, I accomplished all of this in about four hours of one day, and I had the certificate from the PRC Consulate in my hand, in less than a week. The step by step instructions are very clear (best example is the SF Consulate website). Don't forget the self addressed and postage paid, express mail envelope to include with your package to the Regional PRC Consulate. Also, I included a cover letter, to ensure efficient processing. I was amazed at the very good service I obtained from the Consulate in San Francisco. I did not pay for the express/expedited service, but in essence, that is what I received with their fast handling of my file.

Check out marriage in HK also.

That may be another option.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/bdmreg_4.htm

Yes a very good point, K-3 through the consulate in Hong Kong, is much quicker than through Guangzhou.

http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_FAQ_DCF_Final1.htm#Q3_3

Is the "PRC Form G-1" and the "Single Status" the same thing or do I need both of these? :)

Corbin,

No, they are not the same, and yes, you will need both. The Form G-1 is the 'application' form which contains all of your biographical info. It is downloadable from the Consulate website. I use the one in SF. Look under the 'Visas' tab and then click the marriage to Chinese Citizen tab.

The Affidavit of Single Status, a separate document, is also downloadable, it is merely a statement of fact, which affirms your single status. The statement is ready for you to fill in the blanks and print out for your notary public to notarize and sign.

Again, one is an actual form (G-1) and the other is the sample language for the affidavit.

Again, I accomplished all of this in about four hours of one day, and I had the certificate from the PRC Consulate in my hand, in less than a week. The step by step instructions are very clear (best example is the SF Consulate website). Don't forget the self addressed and postage paid, express mail envelope to include with your package to the Regional PRC Consulate. Also, I included a cover letter, to ensure efficient processing. I was amazed at the very good service I obtained from the Consulate in San Francisco. I did not pay for the express/expedited service, but in essence, that is what I received with their fast handling of my file.

Roger, thanks for the info and this straightens out my confusion I had. I found the same type form on the Chicago consulates site, so I will be using it. One would think that they would be the same on both sites.

Is the "PRC Form G-1" and the "Single Status" the same thing or do I need both of these? :D

Corbin,

Roger, thanks for the info and this straightens out my confusion I had. I found the same type form on the Chicago consulates site, so I will be using it. One would think that they would be the same on both sites.

Yes, that's true, the forms are the same no matter from which Consulate.

I did find, however, that the [supporting] info on the SF site, was presented in an easier to read format than at the Houston Consulate webpage. But I did not compare it with Chicago's.

I am glad the info helped. It felt really good to have that official Chinese language document in hand !!! And it felt even better, saying "I do" and then being handed that little red book with our photos in it !!! :D

I, too, recommend VisaRite, if only because they are extremely reliable and cost-effective. I believe the whole shebang cost around $95, and with the price of gas in the US (I'm living in China right now, and gas is around $2.20 a gallon here) it will probably cost less through one of the specialty visa companies. Moreover, it only takes them about 10 days to get it all together.

I am almost certain they will get the Attorney General of New York State certify to the validity of the documents and also get the Chinese Embassy in Washington to approve it. What they send you is immediately acceptable in China. Running around in there getting papers stamped with red stamps . . . it's definitely not my cup of tea. Using a company like VisaRite (there are many more) is a "can't lose ~ can't beat it with a stick" kind of deal.

I got all my documents done by "visarite"(visarite.com)...it will cost you more this way of course,but they do all the leg work,notarized,consulate stamping....just need to send them divorce document(stating you are divorced,and when...etc...)and i think you will have to also send passport,or birth certificate,not sure...go online to their site,click on the "quick menu" button on top of there site,it will tell you.This way is simple and painless,but will cost you.

Jimi