Do you call your gal by her Chinese name or her English name?

My wife worked in Singapore for 2 years before I met her. They insisted on calling her an English name. She was allowed to pick it and picked Catherine. From the first day I met her in 1998 until now she has answered to that name. I didn't even know her Chinese name for several weeks and she didn't want to be called by it. When we moved to the USA and she obtained citizenship about a year ago she officially Changed her name to Catherine Ye Diener (Ye was her chinese family name) and Diener is my last name. She likes the name Catherine. Even though Hong her first name is quite easy to pronounce she prefers Catherine. When our daughter was born in China in 2001 we named her Rosemary and my wife wanted her to have an English name also.

Gale

Do you call your gal by her Chinese name or her English name?

My gal's name does not easily fit in my mouth :blink: ...so I (almost always) call her by her Chinese name...but she seems to like her English name.

Xiaoyuan told me that she got her English name Cindy in her English class. I do not know if she picked it or if the name was assigned to her. ...but she likes her English name and might even be proud of it.

So now I call her Cindy more often...

Do you call your gal by her English or Chinese name?

Which does she prefer?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My wife wanted no part of having an English name.

My girl is on the fence about it. She loves her name, but is a little afraid that Americans will not accept her as easily if she does not have an American sounding name. I don't think she really needs to worry about it because, where I live there are many people with somewhat <_< foreign sounding names, and most of them were born and raised right here. I prefer her Chinese name; it is beautiful. I either call her by her Chinese name, or I call her Honey, and occasionally Sweetheart. However, if she decides she really wants an English name, she can certainly have one, but I will always call her by her Chinese name.

the only time i call her actual name is when we are infront of strangers.

like some public place....its usually sweet honey, darling, lovey, babydoll....

among many others.

w¨¯ de l¨£o p¨® zh¨­ng gu¨® m¨ªng zi sh¨¬ ch¨±n y¨¤n

which sounds kinda like the bicycle name "Schwinn" with out the SH sound and the Yan is where she gets her enlish name from Anne or Annie B)

Edited by izus (see edit history)

My wifes Chinese name is Jie, and when we have tried telling others her name, they always pronounce it 'jee-ah', 'jee', 'jeh' and others.

We gave up and decided for friends, family, and others, to call her 'Jen.'

But in private, I still call her 'boo-boo', 'boo' for short. :P

My wifes Chinese name is Jie, and when we have tried telling others her name, they always pronounce it 'jee-ah', 'jee', 'jeh' and others.

But in private, I still call her 'boo-boo', 'boo' for short. B)

Awwww...Ya big lug. :hug:

But in private, I still call her 'boo-boo', 'boo' for short. :rolleyes:

Awwww...Ya big lug. :blink:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ping asked me to pick an english name for her! What a hysterical task that was.... We settled on Renee (for renew!). We just couldn't get used to it. "Ping" is so cute and has a snap to it - fits her personality. We abandoned Renee last month. Her Daughter preferrs her english name from class - Suzy. Good thing too. I butcher Yanyue every time.

Now that we settled on Ping - do I have to sell my golf clubs? :cheering: