Culture and Prison discussion.

I have heard that there are many unexplained deaths in jails and prison and when the family recovers the bodies they have been cremated. I have heard that this is done to cover up the black market on sales of human organs which can bring a hefty dollar from those in need?

China recently passed new law banning such practice. Before, it happened a few times (or could it be on regular basis?). Anyways, most of the operations were done in Shanghai, and the paying donnees were mostly Japanese. I think the fact that it is mostly Japanese buyers that prompted the government to pass the new law. Were it mostly Americans or Europeans the practice may still be sanctioned.

Anyhow, according to rumor, this is how it is done:

The condemned will be sentenced to die and the night before the execution, they will be shipped off to Shanghai's hospital. The peace loving doctors ( not sure if there are any of those working for Doctors without boarders) would remove a few parts, like the kidney, lung, etc. The inmate is shipped back and executed (dead or alive) at 5 am. The families will be notified and charged a bill of a few thousands for pre-execution expenses, including the fee for the bullets used and a waiver form for donation of the body for medical use.

In order to claim the body, they will have to sign the donation form anyway. If they don't want to pay, the body is cremated. IF they do pay, they may find a few parts missing. But in any case they have signed or the inmate have signed the donation form.

Back in the 70s, I was given free room and board at the police headquaters in a city in Hebei province, cause my mom was a cop and after she passed away I needed a place to stay. If members on this board have the stomach for the reality, Chinese style, I can share some of the observations. But then again, that was under Mao and the Communist party have changed quite a bit, or have they?