Choosing Hotel for Interview

Guest hi5pro

I have spend the whole night search and organize the hotels infos around US Consulate and created this Hotel Map.

The price info is base on http://www.guangzhouhotel.com/bestrates.htm during early Dec. 2007. Your mileage may vary.

You can click on the "Yellow Note" sign next to the hotel (Yellow Person Sign) to view the details. Hope this can help others finding the hotel for the interview.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

That's pretty friggin cool Gino. Great job! I'm sure it'll be very useful to those coming behind us.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have spend the whole night search and organize the hotels infos around US Consulate and created this Hotel Map.

The price info is base on http://www.guangzhouhotel.com/bestrates.htm during early Dec. 2007. Your mileage may vary.

You can click on the "Yellow Note" sign next to the hotel (Yellow Person Sign) to view the details. Hope this can help others finding the hotel for the interview.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

That's pretty friggin cool Gino. Great job! I'm sure it'll be very useful to those coming behind us.

Thanks for the map and information. My Mrs. is still trying to decide where she will stay? She said one of her friends stayed at a Ms. Li's place?? Anybody know where that is?? :ph34r:

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Thanks Dave. I think it is more clear to put the price and rating on the map instead of describe it by words.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

• 4 weeks later...

We are very happy about our choice. We stayed at White Swan (beautiful hotel with lots of Chinese antique shops, restaurants are very good and the cafe by the river (with live piano) is very romantic to have a drink with the love one at night. The Victory Hotel one block away is much cheaper but looks like a very good hotel also.) and move to Grand Palace right across the street from US Consulate the day before the interview. The business suite we had in the Grand Palace is much worse then the regular room we had in the White Swan. Very noise, bad traffic and dirty in the Tienhe. Shamian Island looks and feels much like in the California. US style buildings, lots of trees and lawns, no traffic, no "lots of people", nice restaurants and clubs. Also a great Starbuck (with palm trees) near by. We are moving back to Shamian after the interview.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

We are very happy about our choice. We stayed at White Swan (beautiful hotel with lots of Chinese antique shops, restaurants are very good and the cafe by the river (with live piano) is very romantic to have a drink with the love one at night. The Victory Hotel one block away is much cheaper but looks like a very good hotel also.) and move to Grand Palace right across the street from US Consulate the day before the interview. The business suite we had in the Grand Palace is much worse then the regular room we had in the White Swan. Very noise, bad traffic and dirty in the Tienhe. Shamian Island looks and feels much like in the California. US style buildings, lots of trees and lawns, no traffic, no "lots of people", nice restaurants and clubs. Also a great Starbuck (with palm trees) near by. We are moving back to Shamian after the interview.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Gino, first, best wishes for your interview this new day in China !!! :smartass:

Yes, the White Swan is gorgeous, but you pay for it of course !! The waterfall in the lobby is really spectacular. And it is really relaxing to sit in the spacious bar/lounge area and watch the shipping on the Pearl River.

It has that same feel as some of the older portions of Southern California. This is because Shamian Island was originally a concession given to European and American traders operating in the Guangzhou area by the Qing Dynasty government in the late 19th century, so the architecture and feel of this area is a direct reflection of those turn of the century American and British/Euro cultures.

Again, we will wait to hear your good news, later in your morning and in our evening/night today. :surrender:

Gino, first, best wishes for your interview this new day in China !!! :angry:

Yes, the White Swan is gorgeous, but you pay for it of course !! The waterfall in the lobby is really spectacular. And it is really relaxing to sit in the spacious bar/lounge area and watch the shipping on the Pearl River.

It has that same feel as some of the older portions of Southern California. This is because Shamian Island was originally a concession given to European and American traders operating in the Guangzhou area by the Qing Dynasty government in the late 19th century, so the architecture and feel of this area is a direct reflection of those turn of the century American and British/Euro cultures.

Again, we will wait to hear your good news, later in your morning and in our evening/night today. :headbang:

Thank you Roger for the explanations.

Lulu and I enjoyed strolling in Shamian island very much. We tried almost every single restaurant there. We also love those antique shops in White Swan. We bought a beautiful pen holder. List for 18000 yeun and we paid 1000 :whistling: . Thanks for my Chinese wife. They have the talent to negotiate the price. We'd love to go back again soon.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Gino, first, best wishes for your interview this new day in China !!! B)

Again, we will wait to hear your good news, later in your morning and in our evening/night today. :huh:

Lulu and I enjoyed strolling in Shamian island very much. We tried almost every single restaurant there. We also love those antique shops in White Swan. We bought a beautiful pen holder. List for 18000 yeun and we paid 1000 :unsure: . Thanks for my Chinese wife. They have the talent to negotiate the price. We'd love to go back again soon.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

What was the price per night of each hotel you stayed at again. I looked on your map (thx) but wondered if you got a better deal?? :lol:

Gino, first, best wishes for your interview this new day in China !!! :P

Again, we will wait to hear your good news, later in your morning and in our evening/night today. :D

Lulu and I enjoyed strolling in Shamian island very much. We tried almost every single restaurant there. We also love those antique shops in White Swan. We bought a beautiful pen holder. List for 18000 yeun and we paid 1000 :rolleyes: . Thanks for my Chinese wife. They have the talent to negotiate the price. We'd love to go back again soon.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

What was the price per night of each hotel you stayed at again. I looked on your map (thx) but wondered if you got a better deal?? :lol:

Hi Shenzhen K-1

Lulu got the White Swan for 750 RMB per night. It is the most beautiful hotel I've ever stayed in China (I've stayed lots of 5 stars in China). White Swan is luxury and Traditional. Try Victory Hotel (380RMB per night) if White Swan is out of your budget. It's only 3 minutes walking from White Swan and the river bank. Stay in Shamian Island. It make you feel like you took a vacation. No crowd, no traffic, no noise, lots of green, great food and restaurants (both Chinese and American. Rose Garden by the river bank has great steak and wine list if you are sick all Chinese food. Price is very reasonable.). You and your sweetie can really have some needed rest there. Shamian Island is about 40 minutes taxi ride from the Consulate and it is not on my map. We move to Grand Palace the day before our interview. It's 420 RMB per night (including mini bar) for business suite. Good deal consider the convenience. Grand Palace is only 3 minute walk from the Consulate so you don't need to stress out yourself. We move back to White Swan after the interview. We like our arrangement. We decide not to save 1-2000 RMB and ruin our vacation together (noise, crowd, no scenery, traffic, bad service, no place to walk......). That's only my $0.02.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Gino, first, best wishes for your interview this new day in China !!! <_<

Again, we will wait to hear your good news, later in your morning and in our evening/night today. :roller:

Lulu and I enjoyed strolling in Shamian island very much. We tried almost every single restaurant there. We also love those antique shops in White Swan. We bought a beautiful pen holder. List for 18000 yeun and we paid 1000 :roller: . Thanks for my Chinese wife. They have the talent to negotiate the price. We'd love to go back again soon.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

What was the price per night of each hotel you stayed at again. I looked on your map (thx) but wondered if you got a better deal?? :roller:

Hi Shenzhen K-1

Lulu got the White Swan for 750 RMB per night. It is the most beautiful hotel I've ever stayed in China (I've stayed lots of 5 stars in China). White Swan is luxury and Traditional. Try Victory Hotel (380RMB per night) if White Swan is out of your budget. It's only 3 minutes walking from White Swan and the river bank. Stay in Shamian Island. It make you feel like you took a vacation. No crowd, no traffic, no noise, lots of green, great food and restaurants (both Chinese and American. Rose Garden by the river bank has great steak and wine list if you are sick all Chinese food. Price is very reasonable.). You and your sweetie can really have some needed rest there. Shamian Island is about 40 minutes taxi ride from the Consulate and it is not on my map. We move to Grand Palace the day before our interview. It's 420 RMB per night (including mini bar) for business suite. Good deal consider the convenience. Grand Palace is only 3 minute walk from the Consulate so you don't need to stress out yourself. We move back to White Swan after the interview. We like our arrangement. We decide not to save 1-2000 RMB and ruin our vacation together (noise, crowd, no scenery, traffic, bad service, no place to walk......). That's only my $0.02.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Thanks for the help and tips....

A hotel is something you stay at and then think, why did I not stay over there?? My feng had a friend go to GZU awhile back so she has her ideas on a place, but we will see!! :roller:

• 2 months later...

Gino, first, best wishes for your interview this new day in China !!! :rotfl:

Again, we will wait to hear your good news, later in your morning and in our evening/night today. :ph34r:

Lulu and I enjoyed strolling in Shamian island very much. We tried almost every single restaurant there. We also love those antique shops in White Swan. We bought a beautiful pen holder. List for 18000 yeun and we paid 1000 :thank_you_so_much: . Thanks for my Chinese wife. They have the talent to negotiate the price. We'd love to go back again soon.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

What was the price per night of each hotel you stayed at again. I looked on your map (thx) but wondered if you got a better deal?? :roller:

Hi Shenzhen K-1

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Yes, and for others in the tight loop for landing at GUZ, I think it is a good idea to be very close to the Consulate on the night before/day of, the interview. While I do get a great rate and first class service at a hotel in Huadu, 45 minutes away, our plan is to stay at the Westin, next door to the Consulate, on the evening before Lao Po and daughter¡¯s interview. The Westin is a few bucks more than the Grand Palace a block away, but this will be our ¡®treat¡¯ to help ease the stress the night before. There is a great Italian/Continental restaurant on the top observation floor of the hotel building.

Even though she has worked nearby to the Consulate, at a large insurance company as an accoutant for many years, Hongxia and I, have dropped in at the Consulate office building several times, in conjunction with shopping at the nearby Tee-Mall. I attended two ACH¡¯s and also went up to the fifth floor another time, on a non-ACH day, each time with questions, along the way. I have wanted to acquaint her with the ¡®lay of the land¡¯ and build her comfort in navigating the Consulate office building. She is now a veteran of the 4th floor coffee shop, while waiting for me to conduct business on the 5th. I cannot wait for the day, I am the one, waiting on the 4th floor, at the coffee shop !!! :pilot:

I cannot wait for the day, I am the one, waiting on the 4th floor, at the coffee shop !!! :cheering:

It's coming soon, Roger :cheering:

$6.00 for the plain ol' coffee. No refill!! :D

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

I got the tea, free hot water. Than when it took a while I switched to beer.

• 8 months later...

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Hi Gino,

The map link is broken here, can you fix this?...I am trying to find a place to stay for our 11/26/08 interview date.

Thanks,

Brian

• 3 months later...

We stayed at the Westin for her interview. It's only 1 block away from the GUZ, and 3-4 blocks away from the subway station.

The hotel itself is fairly new (IIRC lest than 2 years old), so most of equipments are in good condition, however, I did have problem w/the A/C, no matter how I tried, I just couldn't turn it down to 72F, the lowest it'd go is 79F. :lol:

I used hotel points for the stay, so basically the room costed me nothing. :D

stay at the Yangs :unsure:

stay at the yangs if you have low standards for cleanliness and if you can keep a watchful eye on your valuables. here is a link to my experience while staying there. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32532

i also have new information about the incidents that happened while we were staying there, but if i post it the post would violate the rules here on cfl and be deleted. anyone interested can pm me as before. good luck to all and think pink.