be careful with your money in guz

hello to all. i wanted to share our "mistake" in hopes that others can avoid this problem. we stayed at the yangs for a total of 9 days. the room was dirty, but the yangs were so nice and helpful we overlooked this. on our 8th day my so left her purse containing 5000 rmb and a 300 rmb pair of sunglasses locked in our bedroom. mrs. yang was in our living room cleaning it when we left for 1 hour to go to the yangs office to use their computer. when we returned to our room mrs. yang had finished cleaning and the money and glasses were gone. my so had a 4 hour discussion/arguement with mrs. yang and security was even called to investigate. after exploring all possibilities it was determined that a key was used to enter our bedroom. mrs. yang was adamant about not wanting to call the police and finally agreed to reimburse 2000 of the 5000 to my so. of course it was our fault for leaving the money in the room and since there arn't any cameras we can only speculate as to who took the money. the lesson here is for everyone to keep money and valuables on their person at all times. did mrs. yang take the money? that's the real question here but we don't know for sure!

the lesson here is for everyone to keep money and valuables on their person at all times.

Too bad this had to be learned. The old adage of keeping honest people honest by not giving them temptation seems to apply here. I am sure that in hindsight you must wonder what were you thinking to trust anyone with that much money?

the lesson here is for everyone to keep money and valuables on their person at all times.

Too bad this had to be learned. The old adage of keeping honest people honest by not giving them temptation seems to apply here. I am sure that in hindsight you must wonder what were you thinking to trust anyone with that much money?

yes, your correct. an expensive lesson learned.

As my husband's interview day gets closer and closer, we have been dicussing whether or not to stay at the Yang's or Westin's. I want to go for Westins, but he thinks Yang's is better. He wanted Mr. Yang to look over our paperworks, but after reading above messages, I am very tempted to go ahead to book the Westin's....

I am sorry about what happened to you. It is an expensive lesson to learn from.

...I want to go for Westins, but he thinks Yang's is better. He wanted Mr. Yang to look over our paperworks...

The Westin cannot provide the assurances that Mr. Yang can provide.

The Westin is very nice, but it is extremely expensive compared to the other hotels in the immediate area.

...but after reading above messages, I am very tempted to go ahead to book the Westin's....

Do not let this post alarm you. The theft was caused by an error in judgement of the traveler. The solution is simple, always take your valuables with you.

Wow. That is just terrible. I've spent a lot of time working in China, and have left things in public before at the steel mills (ie. mobile phones, leatherman knives, laptops, nintendo DS), and have gone to lunch and nothing was ever missing. At a hotel room, things can be a little different, I guess. Guess we cannot trust anyone.

I didn't stay at Yang's, so I had to rely on the fact that my wife could figure out everything for us... She was very good at this, and we had no problems finding the medical, finding where to go for the interview, etc. If you feel confident in your abilities, another OK alternative to Yang's was the Hanting Express (Guangzhou Zhongshan yi road) hotel, located three subway stops away from Guangzhou east at the Yangji station (use exit D). My wife and I stayed there for 6 nights, and 192RMB a night. Rooms were clean, free internet (and computers in the lobby), and very easy to get to the embassy (costs 2RMB I believe).

Edited by bokiwen (see edit history)

...I want to go for Westins, but he thinks Yang's is better. He wanted Mr. Yang to look over our paperworks...

The Westin is very nice, but it is extremely expensive compared to the other hotels in the immediate area.

...but after reading above messages, I am very tempted to go ahead to book the Westin's....

Do not let this post alarm you. The theft was caused by an error in judgement of the traveler. The solution is simple, always take your valuables with you.

So true,i learned this lesson many years ago,when my x-wife and I vacationed in Cancun Mexico,we left,a camera,and some money in one of our luggage bags in the room,we went to the beach,cleaning lady came in to clean the room,when we came back,the camera and the money was gone.We complained,but we had no proof the cleaning lady took these items,we chaulked it up as an expensive lesson.

While traveling in china over 10 years ago my chinese girlfriend would make it a point to use the hotel safe. A friend of mine was in china last year and in the middle of the night found a man in her room. He entered by an open window and it was a second story room. She screamed and he fled out the window climed down a stout drain pipe.

you are correct we made a judgement error, however mrs. yang won over our trust and we felt safe after 8 days of staying with them. i think it may be difficult to carry all your valuables with you at all times.perhaps it would be safer to stay at a reputable hotel. an expensive lesson learned is that when the temptation is there noboby can be trusted.

Edited by dale7570 (see edit history)

As my husband's interview day gets closer and closer, we have been dicussing whether or not to stay at the Yang's or Westin's. I want to go for Westins, but he thinks Yang's is better. He wanted Mr. Yang to look over our paperworks, but after reading above messages, I am very tempted to go ahead to book the Westin's....

as far as the yangs looking over your paperwork they did this for us, however this has limited value because the yangs know very little english. they are just checking for completeness similar to what the medical center will do. good luck at your interview....think pink!

We stayed at the Yangs for 12 days, before the interview, and then after the interview so I could go to ACH.

Mr. Yang went to the train station to pick up my lil' rabbit, our son, and our niece when they got in from their 30 ride on the ca-ca train.

Mrs. Yang's sister took us to the hospital for the medical (never asked for a dime for her time) and Mr. and Mrs. Yang looked over all of our paperwork and asked many questions...as well as answered many questions.

If we needed something, Mr. Yang was there within 15 minutes. If we had a question about the interview, Mr. and a very pregnate Mrs. Yang were there in our room within 15 minutes, or they asked us to come up to their home, where there was usually 2 or more Chinese women staying with them as they awaited their own interviews.

The room? Well, it wasn't the Hilton, but for the price and the service, as well as the help they continually gave us...I wasn't expecting to live in the lap of luxury. The room was more than okay for our purposes. We were only in hot steamy sweaty ugly nasty Guangzhou for an interview. I doubt I would have realized or cared what the heck the room was like. The Yangs took a lot of stress off of us with their help getting around, and even getting airline tickets out of hell...er ah Guangzhou.

I think ALL of the 4 and 5 star hotels say clearly somewhere in the room..."MANAGEMENT NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR VALUABLES LEFT IN THE ROOM." Common sense tells you this also. Common sense also should tell you that who knows WHO has keys to a hotel room. How many keys are there to those rooms?

Mr. and Mrs. Yang get a lot of business referrals from Candle. I'll bet anything that the Yangs knew you were a member of CFL...hell they even post on here. There's not much business savvy in stealing from someone who was guided to your business by other people from a website that they clearly know many others are reading.

Did Mrs. Yang steal your money? I don't know...I DO KNOW Mrs. Yang paid 2,000 for YOUR mistake.

Sorry you lost 3,000 Chairman Mao's and a pair of sunglasses. Think you will leave your valuables in a hotel room again?...ANYWHERE?

tsap seui

We stayed at the Yangs for 12 days, before the interview, and then after the interview so I could go to ACH.

Mr. Yang went to the train station to pick up my lil' rabbit, our son, and our niece when they got in from their 30 ride on the ca-ca train.

Mrs. Yang's sister took us to the hospital for the medical (never asked for a dime for her time) and Mr. and Mrs. Yang looked over all of our paperwork and asked many questions...as well as answered many questions.

If we needed something, Mr. Yang was there within 15 minutes. If we had a question about the interview, Mr. and a very pregnate Mrs. Yang were there in our room within 15 minutes, or they asked us to come up to their home, where there was usually 2 or more Chinese women staying with them as they awaited their own interviews.

The room? Well, it wasn't the Hilton, but for the price and the service, as well as the help they continually gave us...I wasn't expecting to live in the lap of luxury. The room was more than okay for our purposes. We were only in hot steamy sweaty ugly nasty Guangzhou for an interview. I doubt I would have realized or cared what the heck the room was like. The Yangs took a lot of stress off of us with their help getting around, and even getting airline tickets out of hell...er ah Guangzhou.

I think ALL of the 4 and 5 star hotels say clearly somewhere in the room..."MANAGEMENT NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR VALUABLES LEFT IN THE ROOM." Common sense tells you this also. Common sense also should tell you that who knows WHO has keys to a hotel room. How many keys are there to those rooms?

Mr. and Mrs. Yang get a lot of business referrals from Candle. I'll bet anything that the Yangs knew you were a member of CFL...hell they even post on here. There's not much business savvy in stealing from someone who was guided to your business by other people from a website that they clearly know many others are reading.

Did Mrs. Yang steal your money? I don't know...I DO KNOW Mrs. Yang paid 2,000 for YOUR mistake.

Sorry you lost 3,000 Chairman Mao's and a pair of sunglasses. Think you will leave your valuables in a hotel room again?...ANYWHERE?

tsap seui

yes tsap the yangs can be very helpful, i agree with you. after spending 8 days with them and hours of conversations they gained our confidence and trust. you are also correct that it was our mistake in leaving the money in the room, but we were only gone for 1 hour and we trusted mrs. yang. yes, mrs. yang paid 2000 rmb for "our mistake" so she only needed 3000 rmb and a pair of sunglasses i suppose.an expensive lesson learned. we also learned some other things about the yangs, but it doesn't change anything. we made a stupid mistake and i just want others to be more careful.

Edited by dale7570 (see edit history)