I-134 Affidavit of Support

What they're looking for is evidence that you, the sponsor, is able to support the visa applicant and will not become a public charge.

You can use form I-864P as guidence to determinre your ability to sponsor the visa applicant.

Problems can arise if the consular officers consider that you are unable to meet the qualifications of the I-134. They do look at the I-134 considerably more than anything else at the visa interview. The second most looked at evidence is photos.

-good luck

What they're looking for is evidence that you, the sponsor, is able to support the visa applicant and will not become a public charge.

You can use form I-864P as guidence to determinre your ability to sponsor the visa applicant.

Problems can arise if the consular officers consider that you are unable to meet the qualifications of the I-134. They do look at the I-134 considerably more than anything else at the visa interview. The second most looked at evidence is photos.

-good luck

That would be 125% above poverty level

and if for some reason the couple gets divorced for many reason.

Then you would still have to support her for 10 years! :lol:

-good luck

Then you would still have to support her for 10 years! :lol:

This is NOT true of the I-134. It is ONLY true AFTER the I-864 is accepted for AOS, or for the IR-1 or CR-1 visas.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

-good luck

Then you would still have to support her for 10 years! :o

This is NOT true of the I-134. It is ONLY true AFTER the I-864 is accepted for AOS, or for the IR-1 or CR-1 visas.

Sorry i droped the ball on this one.

It's been a little while sence i did the I-134.

But in my case i did both. I-134/I-864

But sence the OP has not met his SO yet and decided what route to take as for visa type maybe it will come into play latter.

-good luck

Then you would still have to support her for 10 years! :ph34r:

But sence the OP has not met his SO yet and decided what route to take as for visa type maybe it will come into play latter.

Ok, call me stupid. :o I know that SO is my "significant other", but what is "OP"?

You are correct that we have not meet in person yet, but plan on doing that around the first of the year. Trying to get my head around some of the details I will be dealing with later.

-good luck

Then you would still have to support her for 10 years! :ph34r:

Ok, call me stupid. :o I know that SO is my "significant other", but what is "OP"?

You are correct that we have not meet in person yet, but plan on doing that around the first of the year. Trying to get my head around some of the details I will be dealing with later.

OP refers to "original poster"

For the K-1 you provide the I-134 Affidavit of support to your fiancee to take to visa interview, you do not send it to USCIS with the petition.

At this stage USCIS cares less about your financial picture.

In our case I make well above 125% poverty line so showed ZERO in the bank, they do not need to know these things if income alone is enough to provide support.

The consulates tend to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

In our case this what the I-134 included.

• I-134 signed and notarized.

• SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

• Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)

• Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.

• Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.

My income was well above the povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

For the K-1 you provide the I-134 Affidavit of support to your fiancee to take to visa interview, you do not send it to USCIS with the petition.

In our case I make well above 125% poverty line so showed ZERO in the bank, they do not need to know these things if income alone is enough to provide support.

The consulates tend to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

• SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

• Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)

• Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.

• Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.

My income was well above the povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

I called to get my IRS transcripts and got them in less then 10 business days!! You just need your dollar amounts you got from those years when calling them!!

Also after reading many other posts make many copies!!! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever you do, my advice (and probably the advice of many others) would be to be as certain as possible that your relationship is really, really solid and extremely likely to be enduring before going so far as signing the I-864, Affidavit of Support. That form is basically a contract with the US government to continue to support the person you have sponsored, potentially for the next ten years, regardless of the circumstances of your relationship. Divorce does not end that commitment.

There are circumstances that terminate the financial commitment, such as the beneficiary (a wife, etc.) permanently leaving the US or one of you dying, etc., but basically you will be potentially financially committed for a very long time.

There is little you can do about this because they will not issue a visa if the Affidavit has not been accepted and signed. But you can take your time, consider any "red flags" in your relationship (evidence that money is a big part of the equation; a serious emotional disturbance, etc.) and decide for yourself if you and the person you are going to sponsor are really almost certainly going to be in a loving relationship that will last at least ten years.

An international love affair is very seductive, but it is just a love affair. Would you marry an American woman and promise upfront to support her for ten years, regardless of how things worked out in your relationship? This is no different.

If there is any reason to doubt that, I would slow down and reconsider continuing with the visa process. Until the visa is actually issued you can always withdraw your sponsorship.

As an added bonus, you can get them (IRS transcripts) faxed to you the same day in less than a few minutes in certain occasions depending how nice the IRS customer service agent (bearing in mind he/she faxes all the transcripts and W-2's correctly) :lol: . That's how I got my transcripts :D :D :lol:

I called to get my IRS transcripts and got them in less then 10 business days!! You just need your dollar amounts you got from those years when calling them!!

Also after reading many other posts make many copies!!! :ph34r: