Chinese Music

Some may snicker (Lao Po doesn't like them at all), but my son and I are addicted to 12 Girls Band. They have an interesting mix of original and re-make material (Enya among others, and their version of 'Clocks' is much better than the Cold Play orginal), all performed with traditional Chinese instruments.

Whether or not you like their music, it's hard to not be awed by their technical proficiency. They are all in their mid-20's and they all have won major awards from China's major music conservatories.

Check them out if you get a chance.

http://www.sanfranciscochinatown.com/store...egirlsband.html

http://realguide.jp.real.com/special/05072.../realguide.html

http://ent2.excite.co.jp/music/interview/2003/joshi12/

P.S. They're pretty easy on the eyes, too...

I think that's the group that played at the Olympics in 2004 when the torch was passed to Beijing for 2008.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the 12 Girls Band. Very innovative music. They were supposed to come to Portland next month but they canceled. I also like Chinese folk music a lot. A couple years ago there was a competition on Chinese TV called "Super Female Voice" I don't care much for the Chinese pop music most of them sang but 2nd place winner of the competition, Zhou Bichang, Has one of the best voices of any singer I have ever heard from any country. I was mesmerized by her even thought I couldn't understand a word she sang.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

I like the 12 Girls Band. Very innovative music. They were supposed to come to Portland next month but they canceled. I also like Chinese folk music a lot. A couple years ago there was a competition on Chinese TV called "Super Female Voice" I don't care much for the Chinese pop music most of them sang but 2nd place winner of the competition, Zhou Bichang, Has one of the best voices of any singer I have ever heard from any country. I was mesmerized by her even thought I couldn't understand a word she sang.

The promoters of the 12 Girls Band have squandered more opportunity than any other music promoters in the history of mankind. They have done an absolutely HORRIBLE job of promoting and touring. I think they cancel more concert appearances than any other group in the past 20 years. Very frustrating.

The promoters of the 12 Girls Band have squandered more opportunity than any other music promoters in the history of mankind. They have done an absolutely HORRIBLE job of promoting and touring. I think they cancel more concert appearances than any other group in the past 20 years. Very frustrating.

I certainly hope their promoters realize this problem before they become "12 Women Band". :)

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

I can't remember the artist's name but the song is "yong qi"(courage) This is a link to the kareoke video. Jen introduced me to the song on line before I went to China for the first time. I then suprised everyone when I sang along with this song when we were in Kunshan before out trip to GZ. I couldn't tell you what it is about completely, but I can sing it word for word. :)

I can't remember the artist's name but the song is "yong qi"(courage) This is a link to the kareoke video. Jen introduced me to the song on line before I went to China for the first time. I then suprised everyone when I sang along with this song when we were in Kunshan before out trip to GZ. I couldn't tell you what it is about completely, but I can sing it word for word. :)

Wow!! That's impressive!!

Here are the lyric

½Kì¶×÷ÁËß@‚€›Q¶¨¡¡„eÈËÔõüNÕfÎÒ²»Àí

Ö»ÒªÄãÒ²Ò»˜ÓµÄ¿Ï¶¨

ÎÒîŠÒâÌìÑĺ£½Ç¶¼ëSÄãÈ¥

ÎÒÖªµÀÒ»Çв»ÈÝÒ×

ÎÒµÄÐÄÒ»Ö±œØÁ•Õf·þ×Ô¼º

×îÅÂÄãºöÈ»ÕfÒª·Å—‰

ÛÕæµÄÐèÒªÓš⡡íÃ挦Á÷ÑÔòãÕZ

Ö»ÒªÄãÒ»‚€ÑÛÉñ¿Ï¶¨¡¡ÎÒµÄÛ¾ÍÓÐÒâÁx

ÎÒ‚ƒ¶¼ÐèÒªÓš⡡ȥÏàÐÅ•þÔÚÒ»Æð

È˳±“í”DÎÒÄܸÐÓXÄã¡¡·ÅÔÚÎÒÊÖÐÄÑe

ÄãµÄÕæÐÄ

Èç¹ûÎҵĈԊÈÎÐÔ¡¡•þ²»Ð¡ÐÄ‚ûº¦ÁËÄã

ÄãÄܲ»ÄÜœØÈáÌáÐÑ¡¡ÎÒëmÈ»ÐÄÌ«¼±

¸üº¦ÅÂåeß^Äã

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Fay Wong.

When I make the trip I usually switch to the Chinese music

channels about four hours before landing.

thank you Pete, i was wondering how anyone could mention chinese pop music and not have Faye Wong in the sentence, in my opinion shes top talent over there.

Edited by izus (see edit history)

Fay Wong.

Next thing I know, I'm in the land of the little people.

I like going to China.

I love her songs in the early stage, say 10 years ago. Her newer ones are getting weird. She's a great singer. Thanks for mention her.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Fay Wong.

thank you Pete, i was wondering how anyone could mention chinese pop music and not have Faye Wong in the sentence, in my opinion shes top talent over there.

I agree! I have a double CD set in my 6 disk changer for my car just in case my wife gets tired of my headbangin'. She just says "Faye Wong, Faye Wong" and I push the button for 1200 watts of music that I have no clue of what she's singing about.

Some may snicker (Lao Po doesn't like them at all), but my son and I are addicted to 12 Girls Band.

Now I know why your Lao Po doesn't like them at all. <_< I like one girl who plays "Pi Pa". She is pretty.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Hi Gino,

I'm sure it's not any kind of jealousy. Bini is Hakka and very traditional, but she is also a self-described "modern Chinese woman". When she listens to traditional Chinese instruments, she prefers traditional Chinese songs, which incidentally, she sings quite beautifully. I believe she thinks it's a misuse of traditional instruments to play Western music.

There is something deeper about this that I haven't learned yet. It seems that many traditional Chinese songs were formulated long ago by putting poetry to music. Much of that poetry only rhymes in the Hakka language, which is quite old. I'll have to ask Ba someday what he knows of these things.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Ah yes, they are most excellent!

http://i23.tinypic.com/xn9rtv.jpg

For Christmas...

http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Girls-Christm...6385&sr=8-3

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

The singer who does "Yong Qi" is Liang Jingru. Áº¾²Èç

I mentioned Wang Fei. That's the same person as Faye Wong.

The characters are Íõ·Æ¡£

I don't know why, but I don't like her very much. I like one or two songs, but most of her music is fairly boring. Not much harmonic, melodic, rhythmic, or stylistic innovation in her stuff.

Some may snicker (Lao Po doesn't like them at all), but my son and I are addicted to 12 Girls Band.

Now I know why your Lao Po doesn't like them at all. :rolleyes: I like one girl who plays "Pi Pa". She is pretty.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Hi Gino,

I'm sure it's not any kind of jealousy. Bini is Hakka and very traditional, but she is also a self-described "modern Chinese woman". When she listens to traditional Chinese instruments, she prefers traditional Chinese songs, which incidentally, she sings quite beautifully. I believe she thinks it's a misuse of traditional instruments to play Western music.

There is something deeper about this that I haven't learned yet. It seems that many traditional Chinese songs were formulated long ago by putting poetry to music. Much of that poetry only rhymes in the Hakka language, which is quite old. I'll have to ask Ba someday what he knows of these things.

Thanks for correcting me <_<. Hakka ladies are the most hard working and traditional keeping ladies I have ever seen. It's in their blood. :ph34r: Congratulations !!

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

The singer who does "Yong Qi" is Liang Jingru. Áº¾²Èç

I mentioned Wang Fei. That's the same person as Faye Wong.

The characters are Íõ·Æ¡£

I don't know why, but I don't like her very much. I like one or two songs, but most of her music is fairly boring. Not much harmonic, melodic, rhythmic, or stylistic innovation in her stuff.

Hello

It's Èã not Èç <_<. It's amazing that your guys know so much about Chinese pop music. :rolleyes:

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu