Hollywood localized?

I doubt most Hollywood stars would do as well saying lines in Chinese as Jackie Chan does speaking English...so....

Is there a source for popular movies that include Chinese sub-titles (and vice versa)??? I've come up empty on my web searches.

There are half a dozen movies that I'd like my gal to see, but her English is not good enough to follow the movie without sub-titles. For instance, "It could happen to you, "Quigley down under," "You've got mail" or some of the movies I appeared in as an extra :)

I doubt most Hollywood stars would do as well saying lines in Chinese as Jackie Chan does speaking English...so....

Is there a source for popular movies that include Chinese sub-titles (and vice versa)??? I've come up empty on my web searches.

There are half a dozen movies that I'd like my gal to see, but her English is not good enough to follow the movie without sub-titles. For instance, "It could happen to you, "Quigley down under," "You've got mail" or some of the movies I appeared in as an extra :P

Great question. I want to see movies you appeared in as an extra too.... : )

No seriously. I'd like to have a backup plan here for when my sweet SO arrives in case she feels lost or bored with English movies sometimes.

Thanks for asking. I'll watch replies too!

My sweet Fang and I found several in China that we brought back to the hotel to watch on my laptop on my last trip there, but they turned out to stop working halfway through the movie (talk about "cliff-hanger"?) Then I realized why they were so inexpensive!

Bootleg DVD's seemed quite popular in China? I searched online when I returned to the U. S. but came up empty handed. I did MANY searches.

I've asked my sweetheart to bring anything she has at home when she comes here, and I have also found (but not bought yet) a DVD player (Amazon.com) that can decode ANY DVD, no matter where it was manufactured. I think this may be of particular interest for those with European-made DVD's?

Look on the back cover of the DVD case. I was in a Long's Drug store and noticed that many DVDs are now also including Chinese in the subtitle selections.

You do need to be carefull getting DVDs in China. Last year I brought home "Superman Returns" only to find out it was code for Chinese DVDs and will not play in an American machine.

Look on the back cover of the DVD case. I was in a Long's Drug store and noticed that many DVDs are now also including Chinese in the subtitle selections.

You do need to be carefull getting DVDs in China. Last year I brought home "Superman Returns" only to find out it was code for Chinese DVDs and will not play in an American machine.

That is what I am hoping DVD player I see on Amazon.com will fix. It is supposed to play all types of encoding.

That is what I am hoping DVD player I see on Amazon.com will fix. It is supposed to play all types of encoding.

I bought one of those DVD players while I lived in Shenzhen. It plays all regions, VCD, DVD, MP3, AVI, WMV, Divx, XVID, shows JPG files and has a USB and memory card reader.

For those who are searching Amazon check out OPPO DV-970HD Up-Converting Universal DVD Player

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but...

For some reason, last night I had the urge to see a Sinbad movie (the sailor, not the comedian :D ) and wanted to show it to Zhen. I figured it was a simple enough plot that she would understand most of it and I could help her with whatever English she didn't catch.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually had Chinese Subtitles. I have all 3 Sinbad movies, and this is the 1st of them: 'The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad', made in 1958, and it was so old I just assumed it did not have any subtitles, especially Chinese, that I never even looked at it before to show her. But it does...

Maybe this isn't your cup of tea, I personally love these movies, but anyway wanted to share. Tonight we'll be watching the next one. :rolleyes:

Later,

Steve & Zhen

Yes this is what I do, also if spoken languages are also available I look for Mandarin because my Yu does not know Cantonese, some videos just say spoken language is Chinese, in this case it is a crap shoot if it is Mandarin or Cantonese.