Where was/is your favorite place in China?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ain't tellin'. :ph34r:

First thing you know it will be filled with tour bus loads of Laowai and property values will skyrocket!

Then I'll have to find another favorite place B)

After reading your replies it's kind of sad to think that China is leveling old to replace with new... Shouldn't be surprising I suppose, with the rapid, unchecked development having priority over preservation...

Seems we'd best soak it in now or forever return to simply having the terra cotta soldiers, The Forbidden City, The Great Wall, etc...reduced as Disneyland type attractions. B)

You can tell me over noodles or jao zi after our Taiji, Dan. :)

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Interesting thread. I haven't been to many places in China. Nanning, Guangzhou, Shenzhen,Gulin, Behai City, Hong Kong. I thought Guilin was a beautiful city. Behai City had a lot of charm. I did the Li river cruise in Guilin and ended the cruise in Yangzhou. Charming village but seemed a little bit of a tourist trap.

My wife and I were talking tonight and we both agreed that it is more interesting to go to the countryside when you visit a foreign country. Big cities are somewhat similar all over the world but you can really get a feel for the culture when you visit a small town. Especially when there is a local festival going on.

Same thing here in america. I remember once many years ago when I was driving truck for a living. I unloaded int Ashville NC on a Friday morning. Dispatch told me to head for Raleigh to pick up a load on Tuesday. I had 4 days to go 250 miles. I decided to take the scenic route and headed out of Ashville on Hwy 74 and found myself in the little town of Bat Cave. Beautiful scenery along the way and it just so happened that there was town dance that night. Some locals invited me along and it sounded like fun. I was wanting a beer but it was a dry county. No problem my new found friends had plenty. We would go out to the parking lot now and then and have a beer and a few slugs of white lightening. Had a good time that night and would love to go back there and see what it's like now.

I would rather stick out like a sore thumb in a small town in China than blend into the crowd where they are used to seeing foreigners in cities like Shanghai or Shenzhen.

Interesting thread. I haven't been to many places in China. Nanning, Guangzhou, Shenzhen,Gulin, Behai City, Hong Kong. I thought Guilin was a beautiful city. Behai City had a lot of charm. I did the Li river cruise in Guilin and ended the cruise in Yangzhou. Charming village but seemed a little bit of a tourist trap.

My wife and I were talking tonight and we both agreed that it is more interesting to go to the countryside when you visit a foreign country. Big cities are somewhat similar all over the world but you can really get a feel for the culture when you visit a small town. Especially when there is a local festival going on.

Same thing here in america. I remember once many years ago when I was driving truck for a living. I unloaded int Ashville NC on a Friday morning. Dispatch told me to head for Raleigh to pick up a load on Tuesday. I had 4 days to go 250 miles. I decided to take the scenic route and headed out of Ashville on Hwy 74 and found myself in the little town of Bat Cave. Beautiful scenery along the way and it just so happened that there was town dance that night. Some locals invited me along and it sounded like fun. I was wanting a beer but it was a dry county. No problem my new found friends had plenty. We would go out to the parking lot now and then and have a beer and a few slugs of white lightening. Had a good time that night and would love to go back there and see what it's like now.

I would rather stick out like a sore thumb in a small town in China than blend into the crowd where they are used to seeing foreigners in cities like Shanghai or Shenzhen.

I agree. So much of seeing a country is lost if you just stick to the heavily populated urban areas. My favorite place in China so far is Da Peng. It is a little coastal village about 45 minutes east of Shenzhen. One of my wife's friends live there. We visited for several days. Seems like the kind of place I would like to retire to if we choose China as a retirement option.

Was in Lijiang this time last year, (also Dali, and then north to Zhongdian)--- Lijiang is a great place! Also like Dali---Zhongdian is basicly Tibet in every sense ----very devoted to the Dali Lama, overwhelmingly Buddist, and at an elevation that is almost identical to Lasa---very thin air. I took the bus from Kunming to Zhongdian non-stop, and then worked back down.... won't do that again, I was light headed in Zhoongdian for the first two days..

Been through Yunnan as well.. was almost a bit surreal to see that vast country side and mountains... at the time, my SO said she would love to live in this area. I think my favorite place has not been visited yet... but I'll vote Yunnan province for now...

Nanjing Road in Shanghai was pretty cool. That's where I brought my Tang jacket! :unsure:

It is indeed cool place. I spent about two months around it to negotiate the acquisition of 353 Nanjing East Road. Visit Plaza 353 next time you are on it. It is due to open (fingers crossed ) next June. We got an internationally renowned desiger to revamp it (40,000 sq. meter ) mall.

Was in Lijiang this time last year, (also Dali, and then north to Zhongdian)--- Lijiang is a great place! Also like Dali---Zhongdian is basicly Tibet in every sense ----very devoted to the Dali Lama, overwhelmingly Buddist, and at an elevation that is almost identical to Lasa---very thin air. I took the bus from Kunming to Zhongdian non-stop, and then worked back down.... won't do that again, I was light headed in Zhoongdian for the first two days..

Been through Yunnan as well.. was almost a bit surreal to see that vast country side and mountains... at the time, my SO said she would love to live in this area. I think my favorite place has not been visited yet... but I'll vote Yunnan province for now...

Kumming seems to be a very livable city. We want to try and buy a place there in the next few years. Very nice weather and many things to do. Good food and still not so expensive.

What is your most memorable place in China that you yearn to return to?

I will have to say that Jiujiang is my favorite place at this time because that is where my dear wife lives. As far as attractions go, Mt Lushan is close by and is a very beautiful place to visit. The green tea from this place is second to none IMO (that is, a very biased opinion).

Kumming seems to be a very livable city. We want to try and buy a place there in the next few years. Very nice weather and many things to do. Good food and still not so expensive.

We liked Kunming but we liked Yuxi better. One year ago we bought a house there. It is 1 hour south on the main freeway and 3 hours on the rail line... :huh: Slow trains I guess. Very nice houses are VERY reasonable and the cost of living is less also. The town is a fairly rich one being home to the largest cigarette factory in Asia... :P The air in all of Yunnan is incredibly clear compared to most of China. There's a thread around here somewhere if you want to hunt it down Don... B)

We liked Kunming but we liked Yuxi better. One year ago we bought a house there. It is 1 hour south on the main freeway and 3 hours on the rail line... :huh: Slow trains I guess. Very nice houses are VERY reasonable and the cost of living is less also. The town is a fairly rich one being home to the largest cigarette factory in Asia... :P The air in all of Yunnan is incredibly clear compared to most of China. There's a thread around here somewhere if you want to hunt it down Don... B)

I have spent 9 days in Jinghong and 8 days in Kumming, but never between the two. Is Yuxi weather more like Jinghong or Kumming?

Don

I have spent 9 days in Jinghong and 8 days in Kumming, but never between the two. Is Yuxi weather more like Jinghong or Kumming?

Don

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21386

Here's the whole story...Yuxi is like Kunming weatherwise, it is 1000' lower in elevation so a bit warmer... :D