Victory hotel in Guanzhou

Hope,

I have stayed at the older Victory hotel. It's not plush, but I found it nice and it was clean and near the Consulate and many places to eat. It's about two blocks from the river, where there is always much activity for night life and dinning. It's only about $ 35 dollars a night and airconditioned.

I've stayed in the Older one from May 10th to 16th. Not too bad. It's very convenient, less than 10 minutes walk to the consulate. There is a mini-bar in my room too. It's only 280 yuan a night. Good luck!

I have stayed in the older Victory Hotel several times. Not too bad really, depending on which wing they put you in. Personally, I prefer the Shamian Hotel. Rooms are nicer and about the same price as the older Victory. It is located between the White Swan and Lucy's bar and grill. Kind of have to look for it. The entrance is just past the 7-11.

Mick means that there is a 7-11 store next to the Shaiman Hotel. The entrance to the Hotel is not as noticable as the 7-11 store, easy to miss. I agree that this is a good place to stay and very convenient. Our room was probably a little better than a Motel 8 room in the US, which makes it very good for China. My wife finally bargained them down to 230 RMB. Given that the tourist trade is still way down, you should be able to do at least that good now.

Sarah and I may be in Guangzhou on the weekend as we have a Monday morning appoinment. Is there anything special in GZ that we should be sure to see? thanks, Dave

I'm sure Li could suggest some great shopping areas, like Beijing Road. Just bring along plenty of moola. :o :P

Just have her PM Xiao Hua.

Seriously, the White Cloud Hills are nice, especially around sunset. I am a temple buff and always enjoyed visiting the Six Banyans Temple, home of Hui Neng, the Sixth Patriarch of Chan (Zen) Buddhism. Another interesting cultural site is the Chen Family Acadamy. Lots of interesting art work there. There are also several large parks that are nice but I have forgotten their names. And, of course, Shamian Island itself is nice. Have a great trip. :D

Mick,

What do you mean"The entrance is just past the 7-11" ?

Is Shamian Hotel three star's hotel or .....?

Thanks.

The entrance to the hotel is just a little past the 7-11 store but hard to spot unless you are really paying attention. Don't know about how many stars, but then, I don't trust these star ratings too much, especially in China. The rooms are a bit nicer than the old Victory, they are clean, and the desk staff is very friendly and helpful. Location is great. But if you prefer the Victory, it is ok too. I have stayed there several times as well. The newer Victory is a bit more upscale and probably more expensive. I understand it is quite nice. AngryTexan was quartered there when we all picked up our visas on March 10.

Sarah and I may be in Guangzhou on the weekend as we have a Monday morning appoinment. Is there anything special in GZ that we should be sure to see? thanks, Dave

I'm sure Li could suggest some great shopping areas, like Beijing Road. Just bring along plenty of moola. :D :P

Seriously, the White Cloud Hills are nice, especially around sunset. I am a temple buff and always enjoyed visiting the Six Banyans Temple, home of Hui Neng, the Sixth Patriarch of Chan (Zen) Buddhism. Another interesting cultural site is the Chen Family Acadamy. Lots of interesting art work there. There are also several large parks that are nice but I have forgotten their names. And, of course, Shamian Island itself is nice. Have a great trip. :D

Thanks Mick! Although I'm not sure about the shopping....we can only bring back four more big bags :o :D :P

dave

I'm sure Li could suggest some great shopping areas, like Beijing Road. Just bring along plenty of moola. :D :P

Seriously, the White Cloud Hills are nice, especially around sunset. I am a temple buff and always enjoyed visiting the Six Banyans Temple, home of Hui Neng, the Sixth Patriarch of Chan (Zen) Buddhism. Another interesting cultural site is the Chen Family Acadamy. Lots of interesting art work there. There are also several large parks that are nice but I have forgotten their names. And, of course, Shamian Island itself is nice. Have a great trip. :P

Thanks Mick! Although I'm not sure about the shopping....we can only bring back four more big bags :D :P :D

dave

Exactly when are you leaving Dave??? :o

As to the shopping, there is a great place in GZ to buy beautiful wedding dresses dirt cheap. Li bought one there for 120 RMB that would easily cost 700-800 bucks in the States. Jon in Denver's lady bought one as well I think. Li has the name of the joint if you need it. Certainly worth a look see if you are in the market.

Seriously, the White Cloud Hills are nice, especially around sunset. I am a temple buff and always enjoyed visiting the Six Banyans Temple, home of Hui Neng, the Sixth Patriarch of Chan (Zen) Buddhism. Another interesting cultural site is the Chen Family Acadamy. Lots of interesting art work there. There are also several large parks that are nice but I have forgotten their names. And, of course, Shamian Island itself is nice. Have a great trip. :P

Thanks Mick! Although I'm not sure about the shopping....we can only bring back four more big bags :D :P :D

dave

Exactly when are you leaving Dave??? :o

As to the shopping, there is a great place in GZ to buy beautiful wedding dresses dirt cheap. Li bought one there for 120 RMB that would easily cost 700-800 bucks in the States. Jon in Denver's lady bought one as well I think. Li has the name of the joint if you need it. Certainly worth a look see if you are in the market.

We are flying back on July 10th! I don't know about the wedding dresses- Sarah's in Beijing as we speak doing her physical there and visiting her family. I'll be sure to let her know.

dave