Gifts to Take to China

A friend of mine is going to China this next week and he asked me what I think he should take back with him as gifts to friends, family and of course his wife. I came up with several suggestions and he thought some were good and some were so so.

One of my suggestions was aluminum foil. That’s right, a big roll of heavy duty aluminum foil that you get from Sam’s or Costco. My in-laws treated those two rolls of foil like they were gold. Come to find out they used it everywhere. On the walls, under the stove, under the burners, etc, etc. I also took some good ole American Ginseng with me. That made a big hit.

Leatherman knives are good gifts for the men. So are electric razors and cologne. For the women, special perfume, like Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor and some cool printer T-shirts for the kids.

However I need some new fresh ideas. Anybody have any good “stuff” to recommend?

Edited by Urkidding (see edit history)

A friend of mine is going to China this next week and he asked me what I think he should take back with him as gifts to friends, family and of course his wife. I came up with several suggestions and he thought some were good and some were so so.

One of my suggestions was aluminum foil. That¡¯s right, a big roll of heavy duty aluminum foil that you get from Sam¡¯s or Costco. My in-laws treated those two rolls of foil like they were gold. Come to find out they used it everywhere. On the walls, under the stove, under the burners, etc, etc. I also took some good ole American Ginseng with me. That made a big hit.

Leatherman knives are good gifts for the men. So are electric razors and cologne. For the women, special perfume, like Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor and some cool printer T-shirts for the kids.

However I need some new fresh ideas. Anybody have any good ¡°stuff¡± to recommend?

Wrap the foil box with foil and place a ribbon on it. :unsure: A new perfume the ladies love is "Alien." The ladies also loved chocolate, especially Ferrero Rocher Hazelnut Chocolates. Lao Po said "Chocolate in China no good."

I bought Disney shirts and stuffed animals for little niece.

Don't know bout the guys. If they smoke, how bout a carton of cigs.

Multi-vitamins.

Shows you care about their health. Probably say "Made in America" on them.

You can personalize by getting for men, for women, for seniors, etc.

Get a bottle of 300 or so and tell them you'll be back before they run out ... sends another good message.

BTW, I'm now expected to bring vitamin resupply on every trip!

Of course don't bring them anything "Made in China" (or Taiwan).

Multi-vitamins.

Shows you care about their health. Probably say "Made in America" on them.

You can personalize by getting for men, for women, for seniors, etc.

Get a bottle of 300 or so and tell them you'll be back before they run out ... sends another good message.

BTW, I'm now expected to bring vitamin resupply on every trip!

Of course don't bring them anything "Made in China" (or Taiwan).

Two problems with that.

I could walk in to a Watson's or other type of drug store in China and buy Centrum.

"Made in China" kills a great percentage of gifts.

The perfume was a good idea if it's a American brand otherwise you can get it there too.

DARK CHOCOLATE is a BIG hit with Chinese females.

So besides jewelry, stock up on dark chocolate.

All good Ideas but.............. :)

When I met the family I took several gifts as I read about in my little Chinese culture guide from Border's!

1. Older sister in her late 30's or early 40's!! I took a complete cosmetic care package. I found a great sales person at Walgreen's who gave me every sample she had. It filled a medium gift bag to the brim! :lol:

2. Younger brother in his mid 30's. I took him a cooler style athletic back pack. He gave me a Ming Dynasty steel soldier, yes it is still in China! Did not want arrested at the customs check point! :lol:

3. Mother and Father. Coffee mugs and other food items and small gifts. The biggest hit was the photo album of my home inside and out, the town, the schools, and just every day life in wonderful Illinois!!

4. My SO got a special gift, oops can not tell that one!! :o

SHOES!!!! Italian shoes for the ladies. Red Wing boots or shoes made in America for the men. What about real Hawaiian shirts, made in Hawaii? French cookware, enamelware. Sterling silver serving spoon and fork, made in USA or England. Wigwam socks, made in USA. Honey. Mayonnaise (Chinese mayo "no good"). A map of the US with the names in Chinese. Lipton tea. Celestial Seasonings different tea. Kentucky bourbon. Top quality leather work gloves made by Boss in the USA. Maybe go on eBay and buy father in law a real Alaskan gold nugget.

I brought by special request,,,, multi vitamins for mom & dad, chocolates that you can't get in China; ie See's Chocolates or any other specialty chocolate stores. Lilyana & her family do not care for any nuts or cream inside their chocolates...just solid chocolate. When Lilyana went back to China, she bought gifrs that were unique from Florida. Lee, I would suggest looking for gifts tha are unique from Texas, such as; cowboy hats or upscale Indian jewerly. Finally, I would recommend bringing a personal chef, who could cook awesome authentic American food....like me.. :Dah: :ph34r:

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

For the women: Go to a local departmant store and pick up authentic trademarked clothes from the last season that stores are marking down to in some cases 75% off. Ying has picked up some Nike t-shirts, US Polo Club, South Pole, Addidas and others. According to her the clothes, even of they are from last season such labels are still very expensive in China. Last time she found 2 pair of nice boots, marked down of course, made in Brazil. She gave them to her sister, but they were just a little to big for her, but she just stuffed some paper in the toes and she absolutely loves them.

Ying has also managed to find new clothes, still with the tags, at some of the varoius thrift stores.

For the men: Take some various adult beverages, like Jack Daniels, a good brandy, some local wines, tequila, and the such. Just make sure they are well wrapped and padded inside a sturdy suitcase. We took about 5 or 6 bottles and thay all made the trip. Also Leatherman tools and US made Boy Scout pocket knives are good choices.

American chocolate and hard candy is liked by all. Tootsie Pops, Tootsie Rolls, Crunch bars, Butterfingers, Snickers, Baby Ruth, $100,000 Bars and Hershey are extremely popular, especially with the older ones who were given some of these by the Americans during WWII. If possible look, look for the various Mexican candies that might have some jalapeno or chili powder (if they like some heat).

Ying has suggested some music CDs; Her family likes Country & Western.

Thes are a few suggestions, but there will be more, trust me.

Edited by Carl (see edit history)