Go to interview with SO or not???

Help! :)

I am trying to decide if it would be best for me to join my Li, the day

before her interview in GZ? We dont have P3 yet, but I am trying to get an idea what will be best to do. I asked my SO if she would rather I meet her in GZ to be with her, or to wait until she has visa, and meet her in Harbin. She thinks that it would be better for me to be there when she goes to GZ for interview. She thinks that they will see a second visit, and know we are serious, because I am there to support her. Im not sure how, but I told her that I wanted to come back to Harbin, and bring her home with me, but if she wants me to be in GZ with her for the interview, she will have to make the trip to Detroit alone. I think she wants me there because she knows she will be nervous, and would rather not be alone. I can only afford one trip.

And I dont have a lot of vacation time left either, so I must choose

wisely.

(also: what does "touched" mean?)

Thanks!

If you can be there before the interview, you may want to be there for support, I was there a week before the interview, and was able to help my wife with last minute paperwork, accompany her to the medical attend ACH before the interview and of course wait for her on the 4th floor while she interviewed.

Attending ACH and getting noted into the system as being in GUZ indicates is a small way that you have a dedicated relationship, also you can give your SO your passport to take into the interview as a sign that you are there in GUZ.

ACH is now 2pm Monday afternoons at the consulate.

Help! :)

I am trying to decide if it would be best for me to join my Li, the day

before her interview in GZ? We dont have P3 yet, but I am trying to get an idea what will be best to do. I asked my SO if she would rather I meet her in GZ to be with her, or to wait until she has visa, and meet her in Harbin. She thinks that it would be better for me to be there when she goes to GZ for interview. She thinks that they will see a second visit, and know we are serious, because I am there to support her. Im not sure how, but I told her that I wanted to come back to Harbin, and bring her home with me, but if she wants me to be in GZ with her for the interview, she will have to make the trip to Detroit alone. I think she wants me there because she knows she will be nervous, and would rather not be alone. I can only afford one trip.

And I dont have a lot of vacation time left either, so I must choose

wisely.

(also: what does "touched" mean?)

Thanks!

Definitely be there with her in GZ for moral support. She will need it from you. Don't let her go alone.

My wife came into Detroit alone. No big deal. She made her connection to Greensboro wher I met her.

"touched" means when the USCIS has looked at your case. This shows up on your USCIS case status account. When the dates change is when it has been touched.

Good luck to you. Be in GZ with your fiancee and have a good trip. :(

She thinks that it would be better for me to be there when she goes to GZ for interview. She thinks that they will see a second visit, and know we are serious, because I am there to support her.

I agree with others who have said to go to the interview.

The #1 reason you should go to the interview is because that is what your SO wants and feels comfortable with.

You asked her what she wanted you to do, she told you what she wanted, then you ask us ?!?

She is or soon will be your wife, believe in her, trust her.

#2 reason is more factual. You imply you have only visited her once, she is right. The number of visits seem to be equated to commitment, and while you may think different your not the VO.

#3 you can ensure she has the kitchen sink with her, and understands where everything is so she can give it to the vo.

#4 you can ask her practice interview questions, and make sure she knows the answer to every question easily. You know how easy it is to get confused during a test, think about how important this test is.

Go to the interview.

Thank you everyone!

That was what I thought too. I just wasnt sure since I can only afford to go back once, that it would be better to be there for the interview, than the flight home to the U.S. Like all of us, this is all a new adventure.

She would like you in GZ and that is usually the determining factor for attending the interview, but I'd recommend a different option in travel arrangements.

Meet her in GZ for the interview, then both of you fly back to Harbin to say goodbye or depart for the US from GZ. She would need to say her goodbyes before going to GZ.

She would need to travel from Harbin to GZ on her own, either by Train or Airplane, her choice. The train ride to GZ is 40+ hours, but by China standards is not a bad ride. I took the train from Shenyang to GZ and was comfortable, but others have reported it not fit for humans. It is not the normal commuter train.

You would want to buy a one way ticket to GZ and then after the interview you make the next move and purchase tickets after you pickup the visa, not before. This could be to Harbin and then back to the US or from GZ to the US.

This might help with the vacation time issue, being with her in GZ and traveling to the US together.

I had planned on going, but laopo will not take a chance on getting blue slip. Plans are if pink slipped, family from everywhere will come for a big party to see her off to USA. She just does not want to get everything set up and then get blue slip. Her perfect plan would to get visa before '08 Spring festival to make it easier on family to attend party. Either way I go there in Nov and Spring Fest.

If she wants you there for the moral support and you can work it out, then do what you two feel best. Other than whatever support you can provide your fiancee with your physical presence, IMHO, it won't matter to USCONGUZ if you are there are not. I wasn't there and she passed the interview in less than a minute. I'd rather be around for the goodbyes and flight to the US. Good luck with the rest of your process.

As aye,

Jim

Boy, now I am confused!

What if I go to GZ to be with her for support,

(and to show a second visit.) Then from GZ fly back to Harbin to celebrate with her family? The flight from Detroit to GZ will run about $500-$600 US dollars, one way. Does anyone know how much for a flight from GZ up to Harbin would be, if purchased in China? Then I would have to buy a ticket from Harbin to Detroit. I would either bring her back with me, or come home alone and wait for her to come.

I guess we need to really discuss this more as the months roll on. :ph34r:

Assuming the date is 10/10, Ctrip.com lists the price from GZ to HRB as 2540 RMB.

Boy, now I am confused!

What if I go to GZ to be with her for support,

(and to show a second visit.) Then from GZ fly back to Harbin to celebrate with her family? The flight from Detroit to GZ will run about $500-$600 US dollars, one way. Does anyone know how much for a flight from GZ up to Harbin would be, if purchased in China? Then I would have to buy a ticket from Harbin to Detroit. I would either bring her back with me, or come home alone and wait for her to come.

I guess we need to really discuss this more as the months roll on. ;)

I didn't go to my wife's first interview and she received a blue slip. I don't want to say what if but I have a hunch that if GUZ knew I was present in China, that blue would've been pink. So much paperwork was missing and I could have prevented that.

I went for overcome and that was smooth. I was there for my wife and kids and I know that was what they needed, as well as what I needed, after the long, anxious month we all had.

If you can.... go!!!

Good luck!

I went for the following reasons:

1. Prep for the interview and departure from Beijing. Ying had no family in Beijing so getting all her things ready to go, including her cat, closing the apartment, etc was all on us. The timeframe was tight, as I rememebr I arrived in Beijing a few days before we had to leave for GUZ, we left for the USA 2 days after returning from GUZ. It was a very busy time - not sure if either of us alone could have done it. Not helped by landlord not wanting to return the "deposit" and similar situations.

2. It was important to me, I wanted to help anyway I could

3. If there were problems, I would be there

Edited by ed and ying (see edit history)

Many people fly from China to the USA alone without too many issues. It seems to be far less pressure on her to take a 14-hour flight and show up at the right USCIS line at Detroit than, say, for her to get a medical check in a strange city and go in front of a VO and vouch for her right to be with you and make sure she has all the correct forms, is prepared, etc.

My thinking is you want to be with her when the pressure is on her. She will probably remember that for a long time. And I'm sure you would rather see her sooner rather than later.