Just a little problem - no visa

My wife's interivew went well. We had about a nine inch stack of documents, of which they looked at my tax returns. Ying got the standard questions:

Can I see your husband's taxes?

How many time has your husband been to China?

Oh - you have your husband's passport -- can I see?

Where did you meet your husband?

Then the VO said he was satisfied with the interview - but they had just a small problem -- her son was in the system as a female. Now you think they might have noticed in the medical exam this was not the case. Anyway, she got the blue form, which said only that "addiitonal processing was required. If you do not hear from us within 3 months call."

Since she got back to the apartment by noon, I had time to go to the ACH at 2:30. The guy there was very nice and said not to worry -- "it happens all the time." He back tracked a little when he could see in my eyes that I did not find that particularly comforting. I was told they now need to do another name check. When I said I had hope to get the boy in school when the term started, he seemed concerned and checked further.

"It's a two-part process," he said. "The first part was finished within two hours. Now it needs to go to the National Visa Center -- electronically of course. This usually takes five days. So, best case senireo is three weeks." Ok -- sounds like 10 minutes to do a database check and 2 weeks, 6 days, 23 hours and 50 minutes to run up the bill. Of course, if some criminal has the same name then who knows.

I was out of there by 3:00 and since the day was still young I wrote my congressman a letter, attached copies of the orginal I-130 showing male, male, male -- yes male is stated 3 times, and faxed it to his office. Good thing copies of my orginial submissions were in that 9-inch stack for the interview.

I hope that your problem is resolved quickly too. I had a similar problem a long time ago. When my wife got her first green card it stated that she was a male. It set us back 12 months as she did not get a corrected card until 12 months later.

This however has nothing to do with your case because all of this was done here in the USA. Just saying that I can sympathize with you.

Larry

He's right, it does happen all the time. :P

A friend of my wife returned her P-3 information and GZ entered her son as a female. She got her visa, but a blue slip for her son.

The only advice I can offer is to call the DOS number and follow the status of the name check. Once it gets completed I'd shoot an email to GZ stating that as DOS confirmed the completion of the name check when should your wife bring their passports back to receive their visa.

Congratulations on getting past the interview.

I hope this gets finished quickly. Lulu, Yanlans daughter got put into Guz's computer with a wrong birthdate, THEIR fault, they called Yanlan and told her about it admitting they were wrong. Hold up your head and look to the happy ending.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I was in Guangzhou and it was Monday when my wife¡¯s visa was denied, I went to American Citizens Hour and contacted my congressman the same day. I am happy to say that (although the news just reached us) the error was corrected within a week. :) It was a minor point and I am sure it would have been corrected quickly anyway ¨C but I wanted to let them know some interested parties were watching.

So now a question: (I also posted this under Planes...) Currently, a very cost effective route (I will avoid the word cheap and hope other will too) is to fly Oasis Hong Kong Air to Vancouver BC and then on to St. Louis ¨C looks like about $450 US. Seems like a direct enough route, but I am a little concerned about my Chinese wife and her son traveling through Hong Kong and Canada to get to the USA. They will arrive and leave from the same airport in Canada but use a different airline. I would appreciate any advice or information about anything I need to arrange or check on before I book these flights.

Mike