RMB chart

[

Eating out is expensive, though -- more so than back home. Part of this is due to the lack of a wide wariety of restaurants that prepare good Western food, I think.

Eating Western food in GZ is expensive... :(

Eating GREAT Chinese food in smaller Chinese cities is very, very cheap... :D

Yes. a GREAT Chinese meal that would feed 4 people. 160 RMB.

Dinner at Shenzhen Pizza Hut. 12 or 15 inch pizza is at least a 100 RMB. Drinks are extra 45 with no refills. A one trip to the salad bar is another 25 per person. Very easy to spend 200-400 RMB at western restaurants.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

Eating out is expensive, though -- more so than back home. Part of this is due to the lack of a wide wariety of restaurants that prepare good Western food, I think.

Dinner at Shenzhen Pizza Hut. 12 or 15 inch pizza is at least a 100 RMB. Drinks are extra 45 with no refills. A one trip to the salad bar is another 25 per person. Very easy to spend 200-400 RMB at western restaurants.

But Shenzhen is a very big city... :( make that 160 RMB more like 80-100 RMB in a smaller city... :D

Anybody go to the shopping malls in China?

At first I thought it was really cool to find a store or group or stores that sold LEE, Levis, and Wrangler jeans. Then I saw that a pair of Levis 501 that would cost about $20 bucks at Walmart had the price tag of 800 RMB. A pair of blue jeans of equal quality without the famous American brand cost 100-150 RMB. Both jeans had the label "manufactured in China."

Just to make sure I am reading this right did you say you saw that Levis were made in China? I have seen the Levis manufacturing plant in Meddillin, Columbia but I did not know they had one in China. I too have seen USA brand name things in China cost a lot more than here that's for sure.

I just Googled it and according to the web there are two cities in China that manufacture Levis jeans. Wuxi City and Guangzhou.

Wow and they want 800 RMB for the Levis made in China? Sounds like a rip off to me :(

[

But Shenzhen is a very big city... :( make that 160 RMB more like 80-100 RMB in a smaller city... :D

I ate at the KFC in Jiujiang, which is a very cheap city to live, and it was comparable to the same price as here in the US. But the workers there only get approx .85 USD per hour pay. :D

At first I thought it was really cool to find a store or group or stores that sold LEE, Levis, and Wrangler jeans. Then I saw that a pair of Levis 501 that would cost about $20 bucks at Walmart had the price tag of 800 RMB. A pair of blue jeans of equal quality without the famous American brand cost 100-150 RMB. Both jeans had the label "manufactured in China."

Yes, I have noticed this too.

I like to go to the beautiful new Tee-Mall in Guangzhou, however clothing there can be very pricey so you must shop carefully. Also, just last night I bought three pairs of nice quality Wrangler jeans at Walmart for only $14.94 a pair (approx. 112 RMB) and made in Mexico on the label !!!

I have to make a cooment on the JEANS thingie... :(

When I was younger I wore 'em all the time... :( but now that I'm more MATURE... :D I find that kahkis/docker type pants are MUCH more comfy... :D And since I'm a happily married man I don't need to show off my ass anyway... :D

I have to make a cooment on the JEANS thingie... :(

When I was younger I wore 'em all the time... :( but now that I'm more MATURE... :D I find that kahkis/docker type pants are MUCH more comfy... :D And since I'm a happily married man I don't need to show off my ass anyway... :D

Hey Rogie us rugged men need jeans to work in. I can see why you do not have a need for them :D

I have to make a cooment on the JEANS thingie... :D

When I was younger I wore 'em all the time... :( but now that I'm more MATURE... :( I find that kahkis/docker type pants are MUCH more comfy... :D And since I'm a happily married man I don't need to show off my ass anyway... :D

Hey Rogie us rugged men need jeans to work in. I can see why you do not have a need for them :D

Well that is true...I'm just a lab rat gummint worker... :D I'll leave the totin' and haulin' to you younguns... :D

I have to make a cooment on the JEANS thingie... :D

When I was younger I wore 'em all the time... :( but now that I'm more MATURE... :( I find that kahkis/docker type pants are MUCH more comfy... :D And since I'm a happily married man I don't need to show off my ass anyway... :D

Well that is true...I'm just a lab rat gummint worker... :D I'll leave the totin' and haulin' to you younguns... :D

:D :D

Just to make sure I am reading this right did you say you saw that Levis were made in China? I have seen the Levis manufacturing plant in Meddillin, Columbia but I did not know they had one in China. I too have seen USA brand name things in China cost a lot more than here that's for sure.

I just Googled it and according to the web there are two cities in China that manufacture Levis jeans. Wuxi City and Guangzhou.

Ling bought some "Levis" for her family in GZ. They were clearly counterfeit--cheap, lightweight fabric and typos on the otherwise "official" Levi's garment tag on the back.

Oh, and they only cost RMB40 each

Edited by Ling-Curt (see edit history)

My wife has told me that bananas went from .04 RMB to .08 RMB per 500g. I told her that here a pound of bananas is .42 USD. She said "I never eat." I know prices vary greatly from city to city in China perhaps more so than here in the US but I still think food is less epensive in China by a great margin.

So David, Florida is more expensive than California???????

I was in Monterey Park, CA... where the town is chinese run.. so prices were low.. as were wages...

In S. Florida, despite Lance's statements that illegals drive down wages and prices...the state seems to resist lowering anything that might make life more enjoyable.

My wife has told me that bananas went from .04 RMB to .08 RMB per 500g. I told her that here a pound of bananas is .42 USD. She said "I never eat." I know prices vary greatly from city to city in China perhaps more so than here in the US but I still think food is less epensive in China by a great margin.

So David, Florida is more expensive than California???????

I was in Monterey Park, CA... where the town is chinese run.. so prices were low.. as were wages...

In S. Florida, despite Lance's statements that illegals drive down wages and prices...the state seems to resist lowering anything that might make life more enjoyable.

Haha.. Well David, we'll just have to see what happens to your already high prices if all the illegals are kicked out in S. Florida. I'm against illegal immigration. I'm firmly on record as being in favor of kicking out all illegal immigrants. But there will be a downside. For anyone who thinks prices won't be affected, they must be living in another kind of economic reality than the one we live in.

Just think of it this way, if all workers in the US were in a union, just imagine what prices would be like for everything. Thankfully, we have legal non-union workers all over. Then we have the illegal workers. We have a 3-tiered system. If you take out any of the layers beneath the union workers, prices will definitely increase as the cost of labor just increased substaintially. If you take out the illegal wokers, the next tier left is the non-union workers. They certainly will demand more money than the illegals. If cost of labor increase for all employers, you bet your sweet buns the employers will raise the prices for his end product or service. There is no way the employer will assume the cost increase.

If prices are high now, it'll be that much higher when the illegals are gone. But that's a good thing for all liberals who wanted higher minimum wages to begin with. Without the illegal workers, the cost of labor will naturally rise.

Like property taxes and home owner's insurance? Miami and Orlando are also in the top 10 in least affordable housing markets.