My wife just became a new US Citizen on 2 July. It was quite an impressive ceremony. They fired off the old civil war cannons three times, had keynote speakers and a reception for all of the new citizens after the ceremony. The head man at the regional USCIS center in Charlotte, NC even came out and gave the oath and presented the US Citizenships Certificates. The whole thing lasted about 3 hours.

My wife was both elated and saddened. She was very happy to be a US Citizen and all of the rights and responsibilities that go with it. She was a little saddened as she felt that she had somehow betrayed her country. I can understand that as I don't think that I could give up my citizenship. Anyway it was her choice and I was and am very proud of her.

She aced all of the questions at the interview and so impressed the interviewer that he said that she knew more about the US than he did. I think that is one reason that she was ask to attend this special once a year ceremony.

Larry

My wife just became a new US Citizen on 2 July. It was quite an impressive ceremony. They fired off the old civil war cannons three times, had keynote speakers and a reception for all of the new citizens after the ceremony. The head man at the regional USCIS center in Charlotte, NC even came out and gave the oath and presented the US Citizenships Certificates. The whole thing lasted about 3 hours.

My wife was both elated and saddened. She was very happy to be a US Citizen and all of the rights and responsibilities that go with it. She was a little saddened as she felt that she had somehow betrayed her country. I can understand that as I don't think that I could give up my citizenship. Anyway it was her choice and I was and am very proud of her.

She aced all of the questions at the interview and so impressed the interviewer that he said that she knew more about the US than he did. I think that is one reason that she was ask to attend this special once a year ceremony.

Larry

Congratulations, Larry!

How did your wife become a citizen in only the time you have been here? That was quick. It takes 3 years after LPR status before one can apply for citizenship.

You've been here for awhile. I remember when you first came to candle. I gave you directions to a Chinese grocery store in Va. beach in one of your first post when you asked about any stores in Norfolk.

Great News! I'm happy for you both. I completely understand the mixed feelings. These wonderful ladies don't come to America because they don't like it in China. They come because they love us very much. I constantly feel honored.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and Li Ren thanks all of you as well.

Yes, it was quick but she could have gotten it almost 2 years earlier if they had not screwed up her green card in Grapevine Texas by putting her down as a male on her green card. That took 12 months to correct. Then she wanted to file on her own without having to submit a lot of my information. That took another 8 months. However it was all worth it. By-in-large our process went very smoothly, quickly and with minimal trouble throughout. She has been here for 6 years now and has not been back home yet. I think that I have her talked into going back home next Chinese New Year.

(tywy 99) You know that I haven't been there yet. Just to busy with our new business. May contact you again for those directions again. Been going to one in Raleigh on Hwy 64.

My last wife of 25 years was born in Portsmouth by-the-way so I do know the area somewhat although it has changed quite a bit in the last few years.

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Great to hear the good news. Sometimes we get so buried under the paperwork and it is nice to come up for a breath of fresh air and see news like yours.

To hear that there actually is an end to the paper trail and that one day we can get off our horses and find that we are no longer riding with government officials as our sidekicks is indeed heart warming.

tsap seui.

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Congratulations! Being a US citizen will make things a whole lot easier in the long run.

We still have 529 days left before we can apply for citizenship. And the application fee just went up from $400 to $675! The bastards!

...I just hope they won't hike up the fee again anytime soon.

Citizenship test: It was quite simple really. The officer ask her about 6 of the questions from the list of questions provided on the USCIS web site and in the booklet that will be sent to her after she files from USCIS. They are both the same questions. They are not to ask any other civil questions other than what is on this list and they usually only ask 6 questions.

One catch is that they can and will ask her question concerning any information on the N-400 application. He ask her about 5 questions from her submitted N-400 form.

He ask her to write one sentence in English for him which will be kept in her records. He tells her what the sentence is verbally and she is to write it on paper.

When she applies she will get a small booklet back from them with all of the prospective civil question in it, a practice CD to listen to and the letter stating what other paperwork might be ask for. She took only what was ask for in the letter that they sent to her. Li Ren was not ask for any of these documents.

If she completes these task successfully she will pass. Having said that it is my understanding that most all of the interviewing officers follow this format pretty closely however, as you know, if they get suspicious about something they can go further. Every interviewing office is different.

Just tell her to dress nicely, be polite, look them into the eyes when talking to them and don¡¯t show any sign of nervousness if possible.

I hope this helps.

Larry