Unfair practice at GuangZhou US Consulate

We made our fourth trip to GuangZhou.

We are 20 Months in to this K1 Visa process.

I dont understand how they can be so absent minded to do what they did.

To begin with we had a big problem with out Notarize/Certify/Translate documents,because of the vague instructions included in Packet #3,so all of our stuff was wrong and they gave us our first Blue Slip.

We went home and fixed all that stuff and returned it to GuangZhou in person,but they told us we had to wait 6 more weeks just to hand over the stuff,so we made another trip,then they gave us another Blue Slip telling us to wait 3 months.

After 6 months they still did not contact us,but they finally sent us a letter.

We live in JingHong XiShuangBanNa YunNan,so it takes us 48 hours by train and bus to go to GuangZhou.

We went again to GuangZhou and that place is sweltering hot and raining steam every five minutes.

We went to the consulate again,but they said come back two days later,and we were staying in Foshan,so that requires we use subway and inter city bus round trip just to get to our appointment.

We went back two days later,and when we exited the KengKou Subway Station there were vendors hawking their Lychees at 10Yuan for 40 pieces,but when we went back that afternoon they were all gone.

We also went in to that IKEA store next to the US Consulate.

That IKEA is a FINE PLACE to eat good western food and coffee,and its also a great place to shop for high quality low priced gifts.

We almost missed the appointment because we got lost shopping in that IKEA!

Anyway after the third visit we went to GuangZhou on the subway,walked to the post office and my fiance picked up her visa,then she went to KengKou station again to get the Lychees.

These guys are real slick.

They offer 40 pieces for 10Yuan,so my fiance carefully chose her 40 pieces and put them in a bag.When she reached in to her purse to get the money,somehow the vendor switched bags!

She was walking away when she opened the bag and saw all the Lychees were BLACK!!!She went back to complain and the guy said IF YOU CHOOSE your own Lychees,then you pay 10Yuan for 30 pieces,but if you buy the 40 piece deal,then the vendor gets to choose.

The guy switched bags without saying anything.

My fiance straightened the guy out and got her 40 pieces.

Be careful of these unfair bait and switch scams at the KengKou Station in GuangZhou.

Great story!

And CONGRATS!!!!! on getting the visa!!! :P :D ;) :redblob: :P :redblob: :D :redblob: :ok:

Honestly,I think its a real slap in the face to all the others here who have been put through SO MUCH and still not received their visa yet.

(I will try to post our proper timeline and photos here soon)

It took us 20 months.

The ONLY problem we had with GZ was that our Chinese documents were not properly notarized (I blame that 100% on the vague instructions in Packet #3),so we got delayed about 2 months waiting for an "overcome appointment" to hand over the corrected translations.

Then we were told to wait another 3 months,but THAT turned in to 6 months.

My parent supplied an I-134,but I never submitted anything about my personal financial situation.

I have been living in China with my fiance,and supplied many many photos of our China/Laos/Thailand travels.

Thats it.Pretty much problem free for us.

Just a lot of waiting,thats all.

I feel bad for some others,struggling and fighting an endless battle with GZ to get their wives (and children)to their homes in America.

The ONLY real difficulties came from my fiance,not the US Government.

I have had a VERY TOUGH TIME with my fiance since Packet #3 arrived,and she had no faith in ever receiving the visa,blaming ME for the small problem we had when we did not translate our Chinese documents properly.

She even began construction on a house here in China on a piece of land she owns in a village near the airport,with money she borrowed from a Chinese friend,and pending "eminent domain" situation when the airport expands in the VERY NEAR future and takes her land.

I hate this city,JingHong XiShuangBanNa YunNan,and I never want to live here in the future,in a house NEXT DOOR to her ex husband's family,directly in the airport flight path,in a city with one of the most corrupt local governments in all of China.

I think 20 months is not a reasonable amount of time to wait for a decision from the US Consulate about a fiance visa,so I understand why my fiance lost faith in receiving her visa and started building this house.I dont blame her,but we dont need this kind of debt hanging over our heads when we are trying to begin married life together in America.

I have always planned on spending a considerable amount of time in China each year,after getting married to a Chinese person,but not in this city JingHong.

Monday June 04,turned passport over to GZ,and was given a paper instructiog us to return after 2 days to receive their "response" (not making any travel plans).

Wednesday June 06,received Pink Slip ,a Map AND small White Paper instructing us to go to the post office after two days to pick up the visa (still not making any travel plans).

Friday June 08,went to the post office and got the visa AND a sealed envelope of documents (the corner cut off exposing the documents inside),but there were many people there who did not get their visa.

Even when you have that Pink Slip and Map in your hand,you never feel like its over,because its not.

Only after actually getting the passport with visa IN YOUR HAND can you begin to think about (fight with your fiance about) travel plans.

Well,SO LONG SUCKERS!!!

You won't have me to kick around anymore!!!

Or will you?

I still have LOTS of questions about what to do next,so I'm not signing off just yet.

Lets see,theres the "Port Of Entry" questions,the "Adjustment Of Status" questions,the "How can my fiance begin working in America" questions,the "What documents do we need to submit so my wife can visit China" questions,the "How long until my wife can travel to Canada/Mexico/Japan/Europe" questions,the "What do I do now that I caught my wife with the dishwasher from our local Chinese restaurant" questions,the "What can she do to me now that she has caught me with the waitress from our local Mexican restaurant" questions........

When in Guangzhou for the visa interview we also visited the IKEA store just down the road from the consulate. The store has a very interesting layout, you enter the building, and have to go up an escalator to second floor follow path all around that floor to get to down escalator to visit second half of first floor, then down again and a complete circuit of the basement then up the escalator to the first floor for check-out. The store is laid out so that for the most part you have to work through all sections to get out.

Lots of nice products though.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/zh_CN/local_home/guangzhou.html

First of all CONGRATS!!!!!!

Now yes it is an insult to us that this process is so long. In fact I feel it borders on criminal. I really resent this process. Complete lack of any regard for us US Citizens. Anyone voting for Teddy Kennedy for anything should be thrown on a Trash barge and dumped in the ocean. Or somthing like that B)

Congrats on the visa.

The bait and switch story was great.

Questions? why.. we have answers.

The been there, done that, crowd will be more than happy to answer any question you might ponder in your brain.

I know you are concerned about if she will like life with you in the US. Remember, it's natural to get stressed during the long wait, even when you are together. Emotions can run high. Things can be said easily, that aren't really meant. You have stuck it out this far with each other. I can't see either of you giving up easily after coming so far together. I don't think you'll need to worry about divorce.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Congrats on the visa.

The bait and switch story was great.

Questions? why.. we have answers.

The been there, done that, crowd will be more than happy to answer any question you might ponder in your brain.

I know you are concerned about if she will like life with you in the US. Remember, it's natural to get stressed during the long wait, even when you are together. Emotions can run high. Things can be said easily, that aren't really meant. You have stuck it out this far with each other. I can't see either of you giving up easily after coming so far together. I don't think you'll need to worry about divorce.

Well,when we got the Pink Slip on June 06,the air was still thick with doubt,but on June 08 when the visa was in hand I noticed a quick change in her attitude.

She even said that she wants the builders to finish building her small house more quickly so we can get to America.