Hi guys,

The disaster of all disasters happened - we can't seem to find my husbands passport. We're set to take off tomorrow.

If it doesn't turn up from now to then, do you know what happens? Does he have to start from scratch, or can he get a new visa issued relatively easily when he applies for a new passport?

Really, I thought I had it in my purse. The last place we remember having it was the United office when we bought our tickets.

(BTW - did you know people entering on an immigrant visa get discounted tickets?)

Just need some comfort and encouragement here....

Heather

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we talking about Chinese passport with Immigration visa? Or the american passport?

If in China an American can just visit one of the consulates, and get a temporary passport issued to be able to travel home, Chinese visa not needed to leave China

If we are talking about the Chinese passport you may have a problem getting the visa replaced.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Unfortunately, it's the chinese one with the CR1 visa.

I can't believe this is happening.

Heather

Ouch!!!

Last year Yu lost her national ID card, and it took at least 5 months to replace it, I hope it does not take as long to replace a passport, then get the visa stamp put back into it.

Here is some that I found:

Report your Visa Lost/Stolen to the U.S. Embassy Abroad

Fax the Consular Section or Consul General at the Embassy abroad which issued your visa, to report it lost/stolen. Go to the Embassy Consular Section Website to locate the Fax number and contact information. Specifically state whether the visa was lost or stolen. Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, place of birth, address in the U.S., and an email address (if available). If you have a copy of the passport or visa, fax this to the Embassy or consular section. Otherwise, if known, report the category of visa, and the passport number from the lost/stolen visa. If you have already reported your visa lost/stolen to the U.S. Embassy abroad, and then you later find your misplaced visa, please note that the visas will be invalid for future travel to the U.S, and you must apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate abroad for a new visa.

Applying for a Replacement United States Visa

Lost/stolen U.S. visas cannot be replaced in the United States. For replacement of a visa, you must apply in person at an Embassy or Consulate abroad. When applying for the replacement of a visa, you will need to provide a written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa. Include a copy of the police report.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_2009.html#Visa

So first report the passport lost/stolen to the local police, then get it replaced however that is done in China.

Then contact US consulate and get visa replaced.

Good Luck.

Can you get your flights postponed?

Hi,

We are sorry to hear about the lost or misplacement of his passport. One thing that I would advice is to clam yourself and relax, then take your mind off from it for a while. Sometimes I find things when I stop looking for them and just rest. It usually comes to my mind where the thing that I am looking for was kept.

I would advice that you go back to the place where you bought the ticket and report to the police as soon as possible. It might be that you just keep it somewhere and I pray that you will find it soon.

Just take some time to walk around your house and just follow the leading of your heart.

Could you tell us more about the (BTW - did you know people entering on an immigrant visa get discounted tickets?)

We wish you success in finding the passport soon.

Regards,

Harvsetgal&bosah

Thanks guys.

We're unpacking and repacking our suitcases to make sure it didn't get dropped in one of those.

It's just that we've thrown out so much stuff these last few days.... I'm praying it didn't end up in the garbage.

I called United, and he can get a credit for his flight to change to a new one. I have to pay a $100 fee to change mine - but I am on a plight to get American health insurance in 66 days or less ... so I really need to get myself to the States. It breaks my heart to think he won't be able to come with me.

As far as the discounted ticket - we booked it directly at the United office. We mentioned one-way, and they inquired about the visa. They said there's a discount for immigrants entering on a CR1 visa. Not sure about K visas. His ticket was at least 1000 RMB less than mine.

If I'm up all night looking for the passport, at least I'll sleep well on the flight. Thinking about trying to upgrade to biz class if i have to do this on my own. I am just grumpy. :D

Hi guys,

The disaster of all disasters happened - we can't seem to find my husbands passport. We're set to take off tomorrow.

If it doesn't turn up from now to then, do you know what happens? Does he have to start from scratch, or can he get a new visa issued relatively easily when he applies for a new passport?

Really, I thought I had it in my purse. The last place we remember having it was the United office when we bought our tickets.

(BTW - did you know people entering on an immigrant visa get discounted tickets?)

Just need some comfort and encouragement here....

Heather

This may seem like the obvious, but have you called that United office to see if someone turned it in?

This may seem like the obvious, but have you called that United office to see if someone turned it in?

Called United in the States, but it's 2 a.m. here. We'll try in the morning. Also, he may have had it when he changed money at the bank. We'll try that in the morning too. And the taxi company...

I really don't know how this could have happened. :D :( :(

Called United in the States, but it's 2 a.m. here. We'll try in the morning. Also, he may have had it when he changed money at the bank. We'll try that in the morning too. And the taxi company...

I really don't know how this could have happened. :D :( :(

You are in amazingly good spirits for something so awful to have happened.

The Chinese passport he can get in a couple weeks. My wife has get a new one because the bloody IRS didn't return hers like they said they would.

Dunno about getting a new sticker, but it will probably be pain, though I don't think you will need to start over.